Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stocker back « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#45 : August 22, 2011, 12:15:20 PM

We need Stocker and K2 in those big two TE sets. Will add another dimension to the offense that will allow some guys to be open. If the Oline protects Freeman then it should be a really good offense this year.

I'm trying to forget and dismiss last game as an anomaly.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#46 : August 22, 2011, 12:36:29 PM

Hardy hasn't been that bad. Purvis and Overbay don't look like they have been with the team for as long as they have.

+1

Hardy I think will be the no. 3. 

Purvis is painful to watch IMO.  Overbay looked better in camp and I thought would show up better in preseason.

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#47 : August 22, 2011, 05:52:00 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15465286

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#48 : August 22, 2011, 06:37:56 PM

I personally like Mack. We have had A LOT worse as a number 5 CB.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#49 : August 22, 2011, 07:48:07 PM

He sucks, but he is what he is.  Cant rag on him too much, he is a backup player on a NFL squad.  More that a lot of us have accomplished.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#50 : August 22, 2011, 08:06:08 PM

Tight end Luke Stocker returns from hip injury in the nick of time for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
By Stephen F. Holder, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Aug 22, 2011 04:48 PM

TAMPA Back in April, during the NFL Draft, the Bucs were surprised to see one of their primary targets, tight end Luke Stocker, still available at the start of the fourth round.

The Bucs wanted the former Tennessee Volunteer badly. Bad enough to trade up 12 spots to ensure that the 6-6, 253-pound prospect would wear a Tampa Bay uniform.

"This guy will be able to fit right into our offense and was a definite need that we had on our team," coach Raheem Morris said then.

But now, halfway through the preseason, the Bucs still haven't seen Stocker don pewter and red.

The NFL's lockout wiped out summer workouts. And when training camp finally did begin, Stocker was on crutches before the first day was complete.

"It was very frustrating," said Stocker, sidelined by a hip injury. "It was one of those things out of my control."

Now that he's back, participating in a padded practice for the first time on Sunday, Stocker is out to make up for precious lost time. And that's a very good thing, because huge sections of the Bucs' playbook depend on it.

With the Bucs planning to continue their frequent use of two tight end sets, the team has planned all along on Stocker joining starter Kellen Winslow in those personnel groupings. Coaches haven't seen enough from the team's other four tight ends to indicate any of them are capable of filling the role.

"I think they expect me to come in and be the big, in-line, traditional tight end and be a big blocker," Stocker said. "We have Kellen who's a guy they move around and do a lot of things with. I'm going to be more of the traditional guy who does the things tight ends normally do."

But, first, there's work to do. Stocker has attended all meetings and has been a keen observer during practice, but there's no substitute for what he'll get in his first full week of practice. Stocker, who is projected to see action against the Dolphins on Saturday, has significant ground to make up.

"I think the mental game, I'm definitely up to par there," he said. "I think the physical part, conditioning-wise, I'm catching up with the guys. Physically, I wasn't able to do anything for a couple of weeks.

"I just got to where I could run about a week ago. ... But you really can't get in football shape until you play football. There's nothing like the intensity. It's hard to match unless you're actually out there playing. I'm working toward that."

Elements like timing and techniques will have to be improved on the fly after missing more than two weeks of work. But Stocker thinks he has an advantage over most rookies when it comes to learning the playbook. Having played under three different coaching staffs at Tennessee, Stocker has experience in learning new schemes that will serve him well now.

Considering how extensively the Bucs intend to use him, that will be key. Look for Stocker to play an important role as a blocker in the running game, as a receiver and in picking up blitzes.

The latter area is one in which Stocker's learning capacity will be helpful, especially because coaches are expecting an increased number of blitzes this season to take advantage of offenses' limited preparation.

Already, the Bucs are seeing some impact from the rookie. The first impressions after he re-joined practice over the weekend were positive. And it seems Stocker's blocking prowess even motivated Winslow.

"I'm really fired up about Luke," Morris said. "... He certainly looked different in our running game. In our run period, he made Kellen look like a good blocker."

Winslow likely will be among the team's leading receivers for a third straight season, but don't dismiss Stocker's role in the passing game. His status as a dual threat (blocker and receiver) makes him a difficult assignment for defenses that might not always account for him. And Stocker's speed and athleticism are upgrades over that of free-agent departure John Gilmore, now with the Steelers.

Stocker was Tennessee's third-leading receiver last season, catching 39 passes for 417 yards.

"I consider myself a very well rounded tight end," Stocker said. "That's what I pride myself on. Everything I do, I want to do it very well. Obviously, the tight end is huge in the passing game. I don't want to overlook that when I talk about my blocking. When I get the opportunity to make a play, I expect to make it."

The Bucs have had that expectation since the draft. Soon, they hope, it will finally come to pass.

Stephen F. Holder can be reached at sholder@sptimes.com.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#51 : August 22, 2011, 08:09:55 PM

I loved this pick.  I think he will be a very useful part of the Bucs for many years.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#52 : August 22, 2011, 08:21:08 PM

He sucks, but he is what he is.  Cant rag on him too much, he is a backup player on a NFL squad.  More that a lot of us have accomplished.

But see, that's the thing. We know he sucks, we know his ceiling is being a #5 CB. I'd rather bring in a straight project that has all the physical tools in the world to be our #5 corner. Then we can atleast coach him up into something better. There's no coaching needed for Mack, he's going to suck just as much the rest of his career.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#53 : August 22, 2011, 08:45:04 PM

He isn't THAT horrible.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#54 : August 22, 2011, 09:06:56 PM

But see, that's the thing. We know he sucks, we know his ceiling is being a #5 CB. I'd rather bring in a straight project that has all the physical tools in the world to be our #5 corner. Then we can atleast coach him up into something better. There's no coaching needed for Mack, he's going to suck just as much the rest of his career.

so you play a guy that is not currently as good as mack, but has the potential to be better?  and if in a couple years he does pan out, do you pay him #5 CB money or do you not re-sign the top CB's on your team?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#55 : August 22, 2011, 11:16:09 PM

Olsen seems to be in love with 2TE sets. Stocker seems to be a legit threat catching the ball and a great blocker. Excited to see him play

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#56 : August 23, 2011, 05:49:38 AM

so you play a guy that is not currently as good as mack, but has the potential to be better?  and if in a couple years he does pan out, do you pay him #5 CB money or do you not re-sign the top CB's on your team?

An Elbert Mack discussion is not worth mine or your time. I don't care to get in depth about what I would do about my #5 corner in a few years. I just know that every time he's on the field besides special teams something bad happens....which is usually his man beating him.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stocker back « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools