Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the NFL need extras points? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: August 23, 2011, 12:45:00 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/23/bill-belichick-doesnt-see-the-point-in-extra-points/

Interesting article on changing or eliminating extra points. My first thought was how ridiculous that idea was because I generally hate any changes to the game...but after reading the article, I have to admit it might be cool to change the extra point system.There are a couple ideas floated in the article.

Bill Belichek says when you're making 99.9% of them, it's not really a play at all. It's a waste of time. I gotta agree. Why not move it back to the fifteen or twenty, instead of a chip shot from the two yard line? 2 point conversions would still be ran from the two yard line though. It would just make the extra point interesting and not a virtual guarantee.

Another idea was to give teams the option of just taking 7 points on a TD, or taking 6 points with an attempt at 2 more through a conversion, but no kicking at all.

The third idea, and I think it's my favorite, is that teams would get 6 points for the TD as usual, but instead of kicking for the extra point, they would earn the extra point by running one play from the 2 yard line in an attempt to score. Instead of lame extra point kicks after every score that add no excitement to the game, teams would basically be running a two point conversion attempts after each score...except it would be for one point, not two. I would LOVE that! Much more interesting imo. It would add a whole new aspect to the game.

What do you think?

Draft Aaron Donald

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 23, 2011, 01:01:54 PM

Then it would eliminate fake XP attempts

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 23, 2011, 01:06:09 PM

Then it would eliminate fake XP attempts

All 3 per decade? I don't think I've ever even seen a fake XP attempt.

Option three would really be exciting. Teams that master the "Action" point would have a huge advantage. Instead of the XP being a pointless action that happens after TDs, you'd have this additional play that would have a big impact on the final score of a game. Down by 7 with 2 minutes on the clock? It's far from over when you score the TD. You still have to convert that "Action" point. to tie it up.

Who knows. If they actually did it I could end up hating it and wishing they have left it alone, but it does sound fun to watch.
: August 23, 2011, 01:10:06 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

youngone

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 23, 2011, 01:10:33 PM

i say keep it as is.. we won a game last year off a botched extra point

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 23, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

I knew that was coming, but honestly how often does that happen? Once in every 500 XPs? not much of a reason to keep it. Most people use XPs as the time to go pee.

Draft Aaron Donald

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 23, 2011, 01:17:23 PM

....Why change a good game in the first place??  >:(

I swear, if two changes are made every season it will probably be the end of football as we know it within the next 5-10 years. I mean, it's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for before they ever played the game at the NFL level. Screw football altogether if they're not going to let it be a MAN's sport. Boxers and UFC sign waivers and have to have insurance, but they are well aware of what might be in store for them without all that as a warning sign. It's very sad to see a guy get hurt, but why is it the rest have to give up their manhood because of it? Whatever happened to being a warrior, a fighter, a man? Why can't each man hold his own life in the palm of his hand?

....Sure, let's let hockey, ultimate fighting and rugby be the more physical sports! There's just no room for that type of action in American football. ..Here, I got an Idea... Let's not let them even play the game at all if we're all so worried about their safety.

Pfft. The next time I play monopoly with my family, I'm changing the rules for "safety reasons."  ::)

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 23, 2011, 01:17:36 PM

I knew that was coming, but honestly how often does that happen? Once in every 500 XPs? not much of a reason to keep it. Most people use XPs as the time to go pee.

It still happens and I have seen games change with fake xp attempts or botched XP. We have even loss games on botched XPs. I think this would be even worse then the kickoff change.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : August 23, 2011, 01:20:17 PM

I swear, if two changes are made every season it will probably be the end of football as we know it within the next 5-10 years. I mean, it's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for before they ever played the game at the NFL level. Screw football altogether if they're not going to let it be a MAN's sport. Boxers and UFC sign waivers and have to have insurance, but they are well aware of what might be in store for them without all that as a warning sign. It's very sad to see a guy get hurt, but why is it the rest have to give up their manhood because of it? Whatever happened to being a warrior, a fighter, a man? Why can't each man hold his own life in the palm of his hand?

....Sure, let's let hockey, ultimate fighting and rugby be the more physical sports! There's just no room for that type of action in American football. ..Here, I got an Idea... Let's not let them even play the game at all if we're all so worried about their safety.

Pfft. The next time I play monopoly with my family, I'm changing the rules for "safety reasons."  ::)

Can't say I disagree with this post, but I don't see what it has to do with a change to XPs. This change would be to replace a boring pointless "non-play" with an exciting play. It has nothing to do with player safety.

Draft Aaron Donald

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#8 : August 23, 2011, 01:47:52 PM

Would make games more exciting

-ts

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 23, 2011, 02:07:31 PM

Pass.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 23, 2011, 02:42:31 PM

Can't say I disagree with this post, but I don't see what it has to do with a change to XPs. This change would be to replace a boring pointless "non-play" with an exciting play. It has nothing to do with player safety.

It's the tiny, intricate details that make a great painting, great. wouldn't you agree?

And don't think any of us can accurately tell if (even if they don't mean to) it wouldn't impact safety in one way or another, but my guess is that it would lessen injuries if there were no XP's. Like this new KO rule, we don't know what we have until it's there. Players like Devin Hester cannot show a unique talent, and yes, that hurts the game, not only for the Bears, but for the rest of the NFL. Personally, I love seeing a block out of the clear blue, or a miss/goal for the win.

If they couldn't get the KO rule down right, what makes me think they should tamper some more?

VA_Buc30

Starter

#11 : August 23, 2011, 02:52:28 PM

It's the tiny, intricate details that make a great painting, great. wouldn't you agree?

And don't think any of us can accurately tell if (even if they don't mean to) it wouldn't impact safety in one way or another, but my guess is that it would lessen injuries if there were no XP's. Like this new KO rule, we don't know what we have until it's there. Players like Devin Hester cannot show a unique talent, and yes, that hurts the game, not only for the Bears, but for the rest of the NFL. Personally, I love seeing a block out of the clear blue, or a miss/goal for the win.

If they couldn't get the KO rule down right, what makes me think they should tamper some more?

The forward pass use to be illegal too at one point in the history of football, should they not have "tampered" with that either? 
Change isn't always bad, nor is it going to ruin the game. 

jlr0714

Starter
#12 : August 23, 2011, 03:01:03 PM

I would be for a change....this is a change that could make the game more exciting instead of less (which is what the new kickoff rule has done).   Either that, or move the goal posts narrower for extra points (like
the Arena League) so it's not a 99.9% play.   There's no reason they couldn't make goal posts that allow movement of the uprights.  Heck...maybe they should just permanently narrow them....the field goal kickers have gotten so much better over the years that narrower uprights might put a little more interest in field goals < 45 yards.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
#13 : August 23, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

Shorten the kicloffs, get rid of the extra points, just go on and change the name of the game.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : August 23, 2011, 03:13:23 PM

My knee jerk reaction was to say bah humbug and scream how stupid this idea was, so I won't poke fun of anyone who is having a similar reaction. It is funny though that some people act like the XP kick is something they cherish and would be so upset if it were gone. Most people have already gotten up to get more dip or ran off to the bathroom when they are kicking the XP. It is not an interesting part of the game. It's a boring non play that we have all just gotten use to so now the idea of changing it is somehow scary and unwanted.

If you can push all bias out of your mind for a minute and honestly ask yourself what you would rather see after a TD is scored....

A.) a chip shot kick from the 2 yard line that nobody misses and nobody watches.

B.) an additional goal line, one shot play from the 2 yard line to see if the offense can beat the defense.

Does anyone really prefer option A? Really?

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the NFL need extras points? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools