Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the NFL need extras points? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 23, 2011, 03:51:45 PM

I've got no love for XP's. The less kickers are involved in the game the better. It is a non-play.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 23, 2011, 04:02:44 PM

My knee jerk reaction was to say bah humbug and scream how stupid this idea was, so I won't poke fun of anyone who is having a similar reaction. It is funny though that some people act like the XP kick is something they cherish and would be so upset if it were gone. Most people have already gotten up to get more dip or ran off to the bathroom when they are kicking the XP. It is not an interesting part of the game. It's a boring non play that we have all just gotten use to so now the idea of changing it is somehow scary and unwanted.

If you can push all bias out of your mind for a minute and honestly ask yourself what you would rather see after a TD is scored....

A.) a chip shot kick from the 2 yard line that nobody misses and nobody watches.

B.) an additional goal line, one shot play from the 2 yard line to see if the offense can beat the defense.

Does anyone really prefer option A? Really?

Kickers, backup QBs, long snappers, and the other random guys on the line who get there only chance to do anything for the day.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 23, 2011, 04:52:02 PM

Pass.

Agreed.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 23, 2011, 05:18:53 PM

My knee jerk reaction was to say bah humbug and scream how stupid this idea was, so I won't poke fun of anyone who is having a similar reaction. It is funny though that some people act like the XP kick is something they cherish and would be so upset if it were gone. Most people have already gotten up to get more dip or ran off to the bathroom when they are kicking the XP. It is not an interesting part of the game. It's a boring non play that we have all just gotten use to so now the idea of changing it is somehow scary and unwanted.

If you can push all bias out of your mind for a minute and honestly ask yourself what you would rather see after a TD is scored....

A.) a chip shot kick from the 2 yard line that nobody misses and nobody watches.

B.) an additional goal line, one shot play from the 2 yard line to see if the offense can beat the defense.

Does anyone really prefer option A? Really?

teams have a one shot play if they choose to go for two. Any team can go for two at any point, after any score.

THE OPTION IS ALREADY THERE!!!!!!

Teams choose the safer route and kick the XP. No offense, but this is just stupid. If a guy like Billicheat doesnt like it, let him go for two every single time. Not sure why anyone would want to take away a scoring option when they already have multiple options after a score. Just because you think its boring does not mean its not an integral part of the game.

Not to mention it would ruin kicking records. Kickers would be very hard pressed to ever reach the scoring records of anyone before them. Your taking away roughly 35 points a season away from them and pretty much not allowing any kicker after a  rule change to have a chance at being a prolific kicker based on scoring. There would have to be an asterix next to every kicker either before, or after the rule change. Its not like going from a 14 to a 16 game schedule where stat differences didnt really fluctuate a ton.
: August 23, 2011, 05:29:29 PM tatmanfish

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 23, 2011, 05:26:42 PM

I'd be interested in seeing them change it to an option of an XP from the 20 or a 2 point conversion from the 5. I think that would encourage a healthy mix of both plays. Although if they DO implement something like this, it really should be something they test during the preseason and then potentially implement the NEXT season. This whole "we have a new idea and I'm Roger Goodell so I'm not even going to test it" mindset is annoying as hell. They didn't even think through or test the new kickoff rules, they just decided that's the way it is and screw anyone who thinks otherwise

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 23, 2011, 06:02:08 PM

OH NOES!!! NOT THE KICKING RECORDS!!!!

Your kinda ridiculous lately Tat.

Nubcake, I agree 100% Preseason should be testing grounds for these type of changes. They should have seen how the new kick off rule played out this preseason and then implemented in 2012 if they decided it was a good idea. They just seem to throw stupid rules out there that haven't even been researched or thought out, and implement them immediately with no trial...then change them later if they end up being horrible. Who does business like that? It's stupid.
: August 23, 2011, 06:06:42 PM JDouble

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#21 : August 23, 2011, 06:08:34 PM

maybe, but teams already have the option to go for 1 or 2 pts. Whats the point of taking one option away?

Teams can go for 2 all they want now, but choose not to.

If you were a kicker actually getting paid to play and not some fan sitting at home complaining about a boring game, there might be some validity to it. Even though they are just kickers, they work very hard and strive to be the best. Why take opportunities away from them so you can have a couple plays of possible 2pt excitement a game?

If I took a key part of your job away that could get you accolades or possibly into the hall of fame, wouldnt you be against it? Why take that opportunity away from someone, even if they are a kicker?

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 23, 2011, 06:12:52 PM

....Why change a good game in the first place??  >:(

I swear, if two changes are made every season it will probably be the end of football as we know it within the next 5-10 years. I mean, it's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for before they ever played the game at the NFL level. Screw football altogether if they're not going to let it be a MAN's sport. Boxers and UFC sign waivers and have to have insurance, but they are well aware of what might be in store for them without all that as a warning sign. It's very sad to see a guy get hurt, but why is it the rest have to give up their manhood because of it? Whatever happened to being a warrior, a fighter, a man? Why can't each man hold his own life in the palm of his hand?

....Sure, let's let hockey, ultimate fighting and rugby be the more physical sports! There's just no room for that type of action in American football. ..Here, I got an Idea... Let's not let them even play the game at all if we're all so worried about their safety.

Pfft. The next time I play monopoly with my family, I'm changing the rules for "safety reasons."  ::)

Can't say I disagree with this post, but I don't see what it has to do with a change to XPs. This change would be to replace a boring pointless "non-play" with an exciting play. It has nothing to do with player safety.

It's the tiny, intricate details that make a great painting, great. wouldn't you agree?

And don't think any of us can accurately tell if (even if they don't mean to) it wouldn't impact safety in one way or another, but my guess is that it would lessen injuries if there were no XP's. Like this new KO rule, we don't know what we have until it's there. Players like Devin Hester cannot show a unique talent, and yes, that hurts the game, not only for the Bears, but for the rest of the NFL. Personally, I love seeing a block out of the clear blue, or a miss/goal for the win.

If they couldn't get the KO rule down right, what makes me think they should tamper some more?

Benchwarmer...

I'm wondering if you're missing something here.   Players very rarely get hurt on PATs because there's quite often minimal contact.  Sure, some teams, have some guys, who do make good penetration, but NOTHING like the interior line pounding that a two-yard pass or run play creates.  There's NO comparison.  Of course there's a chance of a missed kick, or a botched hold, or even the rare block that happens - but it's really so danged rare that PATs are an afterthought at this point.  I can guarantee you the completion percentage of a scrimmage play, even just run from the two yard line, will be substantially lower.

PATs are just a waste of time.  Imagine how exciting it would be to have an "action point" being the difference maker in a game.  A team comes from behind to be only a point down, but defenders can still win by STUFFING the "action point" with excellent defense.

I'd love it.  PATs suck.

And...  They're screwing up the KO by moving it, but when there's a huge reduction in injuries (and how can't there be) it will become a rule.  THAT'S the only thing I can see getting in the way of the "action point".  I hope it becomes known as The Money Shot!  Make it happen Rog...!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 23, 2011, 06:24:05 PM

maybe, but teams already have the option to go for 1 or 2 pts. Whats the point of taking one option away?

If you were a kicker actually getting paid to play and not some fan sitting at home complaining about a boring game, there might be some validity to it. Even though they are just kickers, they work very hard and strive to be the best. Why take opportunities away from them so you can have a couple plays of possible 2pt excitement a game?

If I took a key part of your job away that could get you accolades or possibly into the hall of fame, wouldnt you be against it? Why take that opportunity away from someone, even if they are a kicker?

You don't have to like the idea tat, I just saw it and thought it was interesting. I like it. It's cool that you are worried about the kickers feelings and all, but the NFL is in the entertainment business, so I think adding more excitement to the game trumps how a kicker feels. They just took away a big chunk of excitement with the new kick off rule. Perhaps this could be a way to get some of that excitement back.

I like nubcakes idea too. Less extreme, but if XP kicks were from the 20 it would make them 35yards and a lot less guaranteed. I think it would be more interesting that way and many teams would opt for the 2pt conversion from the 5 yard line quite a bit. Weather would be a huge factor.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 23, 2011, 06:24:58 PM

tat...

If they already have the option, why is it over 99% of the time they opt for a PAT?  It's in the numbers man...

And for kickier's opportunities - they're still going to be "in demand", because it's not like they took the foot out of football, just the mindlessly boring part.

It kind of reminds me of people "from up north" who say 'But I LIKE the seasons...', and I tell 'em "Me too...  I just prefer to live where the cold ones don't happen."

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#25 : August 23, 2011, 06:27:00 PM

Actually JD, kicking is an important play. The trouble is that the xp has become too easy. To make it slightly more complicated the 2 point xp and the kick should be done from the 10 yard line, to make the kick more difficult the kick should be a drop kick and not involve a holder. That way the teams have to decide if it is safer to run a 2 point play instead of a drop kick, or force teams to do more 2 point conversions because they miss drop kicks. The other option would be that teams don't have to indicate if they are going for a 2 point or single point xp. That way you can run fakes to get 2 points. Anything really to make the xp play more interesting and make it more of a play than an automatic kick.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 23, 2011, 06:29:43 PM

And...  They're screwing up the KO by moving it, but when there's a huge reduction in injuries (and how can't there be) it will become a rule.

Actually most injuries on kick returns don't happen to the returner. They happen to the blockers and the guys charging down field at full speed. Those guys still collide and still get injured at the same rate whether the returner takes a knee in the end zone or brings it out. So far there has been no drop off in injuries. There have actually been more this year than last. Like I said, the NFL seems to make snap decisions and pass rules that have not entirely been thought out. I predict this year will have just as many injuries on kick returns as in years past, and they will either do away with them entirely and just put the ball on the 20 after a score....or do away with the new rule entirely and go back to the old way.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 23, 2011, 06:32:07 PM

I like nubcakes idea too. Less extreme, but if XP kicks were from the 20 it would make them 35yards and a lot less guaranteed. I think it would be more interesting that way and many teams would opt for the 2pt conversion from the 5 yard line quite a bit. Weather would be a huge factor.

This at least does bring some interest into it.

Out of 40 kickers who tried any XP in the NFL only 7 missed any of any kind and they collectively missed 10 total kicks of which only 3 were blocked.  There were 1181 XP's attempted by these kickers so the % missed is .8% of all kicks.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 23, 2011, 06:33:19 PM

Actually most injuries on kick returns don't happen to the returner. They happen to the blockers and the guys charging down field at full speed. Those guys still collide and still get injured at the same rate whether the returner takes a knee in the end zone or brings it out. So far there has been no drop off in injuries. There have actually been more this year than last. Like I said, the NFL seems to make snap decisions and pass rules that have not entirely been thought out. I predict this year will have just as many injuries on kick returns as in years past, and they will either do away with them entirely and just put the ball on the 20 after a score....or do away with the new rule entirely and go back to the old way.

They need to move the blockers closer to the coverage teams to decrease the velocity of the contact.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 23, 2011, 06:39:11 PM

If they already have the option, why is it over 99% of the time they opt for a PAT?  It's in the numbers man...

Because its the safe play.....just like how most teams punt on 4th down. They dont have to and could attempt to get a first down, but they play it safe/smart as every point/yard can matter.

Moving the XPs back further so they are not as easy is a legitimate option. Taking them out all together is not.

Jdub- as someone without a job, I figured youd understand not taking away from other peoples jobs. If I worked my ass of to be the best and then you took part of what pushes me towards the top, Id be pissed.

Much like Hester and the Bears. They just took away a bunch of opportunities for him to go into the record books.
: August 23, 2011, 06:49:10 PM tatmanfish

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the NFL need extras points? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools