Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the NFL need extras points? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 23, 2011, 06:40:14 PM

They need to move the blockers closer to the coverage teams to decrease the velocity of the contact.

They attempted to diminish the impact by having the coverage team line up within 5 yards of the kickoff line.  5 yards less to get up to speed.  Seems stupid to me becuase they're up to full speed by the time they reach the returning team's front line of blockers.  Unless kickers master the "moon-kick"... It's a moot point.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : August 23, 2011, 06:47:58 PM

If they already have the option, why is it over 99% of the time they opt for a PAT?  It's in the numbers man...

Because its the safe play.....just like how most teams punt on 4th down. They dont have to and could attempt to get a first down, but they play it safe/smart as every point/yard can matter.

Exactly. So you take away the safe boring option and force everyone to go for it.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 23, 2011, 06:51:16 PM

yeah, because the NFL is for taking away safer opition. Lets just get rid of punting on 4th down, lets shorten the field, lets allow guys to have forward motion......theres a game of football like this already.

Its called arena football.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#33 : August 23, 2011, 07:05:15 PM

You really have become useless to talk to.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 23, 2011, 07:08:25 PM

I think they are fine. They are gimmies basically but if you dont make them then its bad on your team and can cost the game. Oh well its not supposed to be that hard.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 23, 2011, 08:12:47 PM

I would line up on the 50 and kick from there. 2 points if thru the uprights. I would allow returns. If it reaches the EZ and isn't returned it's 1 point.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 23, 2011, 08:16:16 PM

The saying "If it ain't broke............" comes to mind.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 23, 2011, 09:04:17 PM

yeah, because the NFL is for taking away safer option.

Of course they are.  Just look at the way they (the NFL) screwed the pooch on the kickoff changes.  They knew it would virtually eliminate the ruturn, eliminating injuries in the process.  They had overwhelming data back up their decision, and I think that's part of why they didn't "test in preseason / implement the following year" as usual when they're trying out quirky new changes.  To call that change "quirky" is a huge understatement IMO.

And the exact reason I doubt they'd go with something so physical as an "action point", but trust me on this one:  It would become the most exciting aspect of the game for many, myself possibly included.  Having Free as an option to just boot it in or some wildcat options would be both a blast, AND a heart-breaker occasionally of course.

Like someone said...  The NFL is all about providing the best "entertainment for the dollar" that they can, with that said - you can bet your patooty it would be uberexciting, and QBs like Freeman would be invaluable in those situation.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#38 : August 23, 2011, 09:12:52 PM

I would line up on the 50 and kick from there. 2 points if thru the uprights. I would allow returns. If it reaches the EZ and isn't returned it's 1 point.
NDY...  Putting it in from 50 would be fun to watch, but... Even the weakest (distance-wise) kickers in the NFL can put it through the EZ if kicking from the 50, rendering returns unheard of.  That 1-pointer would be more boring than the current PAT I think.  Heck, I can put it through the EZ from the 50...!

Given 3 kicks.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#39 : August 23, 2011, 09:18:04 PM

The saying "If it ain't broke............" comes to mind.
Yeah, well you're full of......

Now get real nasty to me (or anything for that matter) so I can be honored with the view of your sig pic agin.  "Wow" doesn't quite cover it.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 23, 2011, 09:42:22 PM

then stop posting stupid crap used by the ultra successful XFL as a good idea. Marketing ideas on football by Vince McMahon are definately winners.

whats next? Slingshots off the top rope for a TD? throwing guys into turn buckles to casue fumbles?

yeah, this is the guy whos football ideas should be adopted into the NFL.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#41 : August 23, 2011, 10:18:04 PM

NDY...  Putting it in from 50 would be fun to watch, but... Even the weakest (distance-wise) kickers in the NFL can put it through the EZ if kicking from the 50, rendering returns unheard of.  That 1-pointer would be more boring than the current PAT I think.  Heck, I can put it through the EZ from the 50...!

Given 3 kicks.
this would NOT be a punt. It would be snapped to a holder 7 or 8 yards behind th LOS. And the other team could try to block it. Same distance as a 67 yard FG. Not so easy my friend!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 23, 2011, 10:23:25 PM

Ya its a boring play but they call it football for a reason.  No changes for me thank you very much.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 23, 2011, 10:26:14 PM

then stop posting stupid crap used by the ultra successful XFL as a good idea. Marketing ideas on football by Vince McMahon are definately winners.

whats next? Slingshots off the top rope for a TD? throwing guys into turn buckles to casue fumbles?

yeah, this is the guy whos football ideas should be adopted into the NFL.

If you read the article you would know this idea originated from the NFL and was actually used in preseason many years ago, but they didn't go with it. I posted this as an interesting article that everyone could chime in on....but as usual your posts add nothing to the conversation. You are always more concerned with telling me or someone else why they are wrong or stupid rather than sharing your own thought provoking opinion. You immediately post argumentative and demeaning things no matter what the subject is. I don't remember you always being like this so I can't help but wonder crawled up your ass. Anyways, I've wasted enough time going back and forth with you so I pledge to stop from now on. Good luck with whatever is bothering you.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 23, 2011, 10:32:44 PM

My knee jerk reaction was to say bah humbug and scream how stupid this idea was, so I won't poke fun of anyone who is having a similar reaction. It is funny though that some people act like the XP kick is something they cherish and would be so upset if it were gone. Most people have already gotten up to get more dip or ran off to the bathroom when they are kicking the XP. It is not an interesting part of the game. It's a boring non play that we have all just gotten use to so now the idea of changing it is somehow scary and unwanted.

If you can push all bias out of your mind for a minute and honestly ask yourself what you would rather see after a TD is scored....

A.) a chip shot kick from the 2 yard line that nobody misses and nobody watches.

B.) an additional goal line, one shot play from the 2 yard line to see if the offense can beat the defense.

Does anyone really prefer option A? Really?

teams have a one shot play if they choose to go for two. Any team can go for two at any point, after any score.

THE OPTION IS ALREADY THERE!!!!!!

Teams choose the safer route and kick the XP. No offense, but this is just stupid. If a guy like Billicheat doesnt like it, let him go for two every single time. Not sure why anyone would want to take away a scoring option when they already have multiple options after a score. Just because you think its boring does not mean its not an integral part of the game.

Not to mention it would ruin kicking records. Kickers would be very hard pressed to ever reach the scoring records of anyone before them. Your taking away roughly 35 points a season away from them and pretty much not allowing any kicker after a  rule change to have a chance at being a prolific kicker based on scoring. There would have to be an asterix next to every kicker either before, or after the rule change. Its not like going from a 14 to a 16 game schedule where stat differences didnt really fluctuate a ton.
OH NOES!!! NOT THE KICKING RECORDS!!!!

Your kinda ridiculous lately Tat.

oh, you mean like this? Hi pot, Im kettle.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does the NFL need extras points? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools