Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question for UF fans? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Runole

Hall of Famer
: August 24, 2011, 12:06:51 AM

Do you support FSU joining the SEC? and reasons why or why not?

Just curious.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 24, 2011, 02:47:43 PM

i dont see the need for it, but it doesnt matter one way or the other to me.  not sure if id really like to see UF/fsu twice every year...not that they'd meet in the championship every year, but very easily possible.  think id rather see them in the same division if fsu did somehow join.  im not gonna hold my breath.

it would end the argument of fsu's schedule vs. UF's year in year out.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 24, 2011, 11:37:21 PM

i dont see the need for it, but it doesnt matter one way or the other to me.  not sure if id really like to see UF/fsu twice every year...not that they'd meet in the championship every year, but very easily possible.  think id rather see them in the same division if fsu did somehow join.  im not gonna hold my breath.

it would end the argument of fsu's schedule vs. UF's year in year out.

Tend to agree and I am definitely not if favor of the suggested 16 team conferences many think is the wave of the future.

Many FSU fans feel that if Texas A&M is invited that FSU will be asked and will be in the SEC EAST.

Even if it does happen I am certain if Miami still has a program FSU will continue the series so that will be even a bigger sore spot with UF for not playing UM annually.

Personally while I see financial advantages in FSU joining the SEC  I also see many disadvantages.   As an FSU fan I am in favor of any decision FSU makes to be the best for its future. If it is joining the SEC than I am in favor. If it is remaining in the ACC I am in favor or if it is some other possibility.   I just don't think the decision should just be made because of football which seems to the major reason many FSU fans are in favor of the move.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 27, 2011, 05:09:29 AM

It makes more sense for the SEC to add Texas A&M so they can start getting more Texas recruits.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 27, 2011, 03:30:37 PM

Personally, I am all for it. But I don't think UF higher ups are that thrilled with it. Talk on the grape vine is UF, UGa, Bama, SC and UT don't want another SEC school in Florida (getting recruits). I don't think it matters one iota. I think FSU recruits the same (damn well) regardless of their conference affiliation.

From a money standpoint, it makes a ton of sense. FSU = sellouts & big TV audience, much bigger than UTAM. Geographically it makes a ton of sense, less than 300 miles from Auburn, Bama, UGa, and UF.

From a scheduling standpoint, it makes no difference to UF whereas any other team added to the east means one less OOC game.

Ideally I'd like to see FSU in the SEC and USF added as the new yearly OOC team (screw da U)

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 04, 2011, 12:14:17 PM

i dont understand the whole thinking behind another sec school getting florida recruits. we are gonna get them eiher way. thats just a plain bad reason. i dont think they want any more competition in their division. FSU could walk into the sec east and be in the top 2 or 3 right away and they dont want to see it happen. im all for being in the sec. i only get really excited about our matchups 2 or 3 times a year. UF, miami, and oklahoma this year. all the other acc teams are boring and not good matches. i would love to face LSU, Alabama, Georgia week in and week out. makes for alot better games

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 04, 2011, 03:43:18 PM

i dont understand the whole thinking behind another sec school getting florida recruits. we are gonna get them eiher way. thats just a plain bad reason.

In the case of Clemson or Ga Tech I could see it. SC and UGa can out recruit them partly because they are in the SEC which means a lot more TV exposure, etc. But I agree I doesn't hold water regarding FSU. FSU is going to recruit their guys no matter what, just like they have been. If a player is deciding between UF and FSU, conference affiliation is likely 7th or 8th factor down the list.

i dont think they want any more competition in their division. FSU could walk into the sec east and be in the top 2 or 3 right away and they dont want to see it happen.

Don't think that is the issue, because I've heard a lot of UF guys say "not FSU, but Va Tech would be okay". I think what it really is is good ol boy thinking that's stuck in the 80s. Back then the Conference made a bigger difference since it was before FSU went on a tear of top 5 finishes, elite bowl appearances, and some NCs. FSU has their own spotlight now and it doesn't matter anymore.

im all for being in the sec. i only get really excited about our matchups 2 or 3 times a year. UF, miami, and oklahoma this year. all the other acc teams are boring and not good matches. i would love to face LSU, Alabama, Georgia week in and week out. makes for alot better games

I have always thought of FSU as being a SEC-like team in a Bball conference. FSU had a strong FB tradition and a rabid fan base, all SEC team characteristics.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 05, 2011, 10:28:22 AM

FSU definately is an SEC type school in a bball conference. football is an afterthought to most of our conference, not so with FSU and Clemson.

i really just dont like our league commisioner. he panders to UNC at every turn and punishes FSU when we dont do what he wants. for example he wanted us to play miami on labor day and we said no. so now we have to play them 2 weeks before UF. who schedules 2 rivalry games that close? ouor schedule as a hole is ridiculous. we dont get a home game for a month in the middle of our season and play 2 hated rivals within 2 weeks. not to mention that fact that we always have to play a thursday night game on the road. weve never had one in tallahassee. the guy is a real ass and hes worthless. most teams hate him in our conference and hes completely inept as a leader

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 05, 2011, 11:22:28 AM

FSU definately is an SEC type school in a bball conference. football is an afterthought to most of our conference, not so with FSU and Clemson.

i really just dont like our league commisioner. he panders to UNC at every turn and punishes FSU when we dont do what he wants. for example he wanted us to play miami on labor day and we said no. so now we have to play them 2 weeks before UF. who schedules 2 rivalry games that close? ouor schedule as a hole is ridiculous. we dont get a home game for a month in the middle of our season and play 2 hated rivals within 2 weeks. not to mention that fact that we always have to play a thursday night game on the road. weve never had one in tallahassee. the guy is a real ass and hes worthless. most teams hate him in our conference and hes completely inept as a leader

Well, UF plays Bama, @LSU, @Auburn in 3 consecutive weeks, then a bye then UGa. So you might not like an SEC schedule because every other week is a rival it seems. But at least the SEC NEVER does Thurs. games- WILL NOT DO IT.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 05, 2011, 11:54:12 AM

I believe the concept that if FSU joins the SEC they will be playing 6 out of the following 6 teams every year is absurdity at its finest.  ie  Auburn LSU Alabama Georgia  Tennessee and South Carolina.  If FSU were in the SEC East they would play Florida( who they already play) Georgia South Carolina and Tennessee.  They may get Auburn, LSU, or Bama every year but more than likely their permanent team would be someone else from the West. I imagine they would still have 4 out of conference games and one of those would be Miami along with another Charleston Southern like team so they would have (3) easy teams like UF every year. UF would more than like just add a 4th directional school as a home game since  FSU would be an SEC team.

Assuming the A&M thing sticks which looks likely I think the SEC may be stuck with 13 teams for a bit.  Of course it is possible that the the A&M entry may lead to massive conference expansion that so many are predicting as the old Big 12 and Big East fall apart.  Not totally sold on that happening.

Likewise I am not sold on 14 or 16 teams making more money per team that 12 team conferences.

CTGuyton

Second String

#10 : September 06, 2011, 05:37:42 PM

But at least the SEC NEVER does Thurs. games- WILL NOT DO IT.

Thu, Sep 01 @ Memphis
Sat, Sep 10    @ Auburn *
Thu, Sep 15    LSU *

Mississippi State's first 3 weeks.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 10, 2011, 07:37:04 PM

I believe the concept that if FSU joins the SEC they will be playing 6 out of the following 6 teams every year is absurdity at its finest.  ie  Auburn LSU Alabama Georgia  Tennessee and South Carolina.  If FSU were in the SEC East they would play Florida( who they already play) Georgia South Carolina and Tennessee.  They may get Auburn, LSU, or Bama every year but more than likely their permanent team would be someone else from the West.

I would bet their permanent West team would be UTAM

I imagine they would still have 4 out of conference games and one of those would be Miami along with another Charleston Southern like team so they would have (3) easy teams like UF every year. UF would more than like just add a 4th directional school as a home game since  FSU would be an SEC team.

No, they have to drop an OOC game because they'd have one more conference game. If the SEC goes to 14 teams, then each team would play 6 division games and 3 interdivision games. The SEC wants to add a 9th conference game so they can renegotiate all their TV contracts (CBS, ESPN/ABC, Fox Sports, and JP)

Another reason why I don't see how UF would be against FSU joining. The OOC game UF would lose is FSU which is now the extra conference game. They'd still have 3 creampuffs.

Assuming the A&M thing sticks which looks likely I think the SEC may be stuck with 13 teams for a bit.  Of course it is possible that the the A&M entry may lead to massive conference expansion that so many are predicting as the old Big 12 and Big East fall apart.  Not totally sold on that happening.

Likewise I am not sold on 14 or 16 teams making more money per team that 12 team conferences.

I think they'll keep the divisions balanced and add a 14th team-that or kick out Vandy. 13 teams would mean someone is playing extra conference games.

The expansion thing only makes sense if it comes with MUCH more TV money. Otherwise you are just taking more slices out of the same pie. If the SEC can get 33% more from the networks (and I think they are the only conference that could pull that off) then each teams share would be unchanged. The PAC expanding means each team getting s smaller piece of pie, and the PAC has squat for TV contracts.

I am surprised NBC is not exhausting every possible way to get out of the ND contract so they could use that time to score a super-conference.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 11, 2011, 09:09:26 AM

the SEC will never kick out Vandy. Vandy brings great academics, good baseball and good basketball. the SEC is not exactly a powerhouse in the academics area like the Big 10 or the ACC. Everyone needs a nerd school to beat up on.

Notre Dame is definately in a downspin rght now. To be honest id be pissed if NBC picked up a conference we are in. Their coverage is straight awful. Even in High Def NBC looks terrible. I hate football on NBC. FOX does a good job but i think they are doing the PAC12

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#13 : September 11, 2011, 11:49:45 AM

the SEC will never kick out Vandy. Vandy brings great academics,

I know, that was a joke.

good baseball and good basketball. the SEC is not exactly a powerhouse in the academics area like the Big 10 or the ACC.

I have always thought Vandy is a better fit in the Big East or Big Ten. They are the ONLY private school in the SEC and the only with a heavy academic focus and by far the smallest school. More like a Louisville, Cincinnati, or Rutgers than a Bama, Uga, UT, or UF  SEC schools are HUGE campuses with HUGE enrollments and massive fan bases. Vandy just doesn't fit, but no they won't kick them out because:

Everyone needs a nerd school to beat up on.

and in a conference stacked with super-heavyweights, this is even more true. When you face Bama, LSU, Auburn, and UGa all in a row, you say "thank God for KY and Vandy" :)
: September 11, 2011, 11:53:34 AM John Galt?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 11, 2011, 12:11:15 PM

Do you support FSU joining the SEC? and reasons why or why not?

Just curious.

There is one team I'd RATHER see join than FSU. It's that directional school out of Tampa ;)

Seriously, UF already plays FSU so them joining really has no effect. But USF joining and playing UF every year would be beyond awesome. It would force UF to play at RJS every other year and you'd see the biggest crowds in RJS history (including Superbowls). It would quickly become a little brother rivalry that would get very rapid real quick. The only problem is USF just doesn't have the depth of booster support (because they are sooo new) that most SEC schools have.

Now as far as "da U"-  HELL NO- I could care less if we every played them again let alone allowing them in our conference. Little tiny school with bandwagon fans and bandwagon boosters that have less loyalty than Benedict Arnold- Hell they only sell out games because of the team visiting (like FSU or OK ) If you can't sell out vs Va. Tech, then you don't deserve SEC schools. Screw them. Not worth considering.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question for UF fans? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools