Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lombardi of NFL Network Believes Morris is Satisfied with Bucs Preseason Play « previous next »
Page: 1 2

stormsct

Starter

: August 24, 2011, 12:38:25 PM

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/09000d5d821a44a9/article/cant-get-no-satisfaction-in-preseason-thats-a-good-thing

Eagles coach Andy Reid has to be smiling today. Why? Because his team looked so bad in Pittsburgh last week and this horrible performance will allow him to get his entire team's full attention this week.

Playing well in the preseason is important, but it's more important for a coach to keep his team completely focused on daily improvement. That can be hard to do if the team plays flawlessly in preseason games. No one remembers a team's preseason record, but they do remember poor play -- which can signify a specific weakness in the team. Remember the buzz that the 2008 Detroit Lions created when they went a perfect 4-0 in the preseason? The Lions didn't win a single game the rest of way, finishing 0-16. So much for looking great in the preseason.

Lombardi: Surprise team so far?

Which AFC team's line play portends good things to come in the regular season? Michael Lombardi reveals a potential sleeper and more team-by-team preseason observations. More ...
Take another coaching approach. The same night Philadelphia struggled against Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay faced the Patriots, who came ready to play and put up a quick 21 points in the first quarter, leaving the Bucs wondering what just hit them. Yet after the game, Bucs coach Raheem Morris said, "[The Patriots] took a different approach to the game with how we played and how they played. I wouldn't say I'm disappointed that we weren't able to pick up a certain look or scheme because we did not give it to [the Bucs players] that way. We just wanted to follow our rules, see who could pick up the rules, see who could do it, see who could communicate and see who could play on their feet. And that's kind of how we want to judge those guys. Usually, that's how you get the better players on your football team."

What? Does Morris really believe what he just said?

Reid will be hard on his team this week -- his anger will gain their attention -- probably resulting in a good week of preparation. Meanwhile, Morris gave his players a free pass for a bad performance. Based on his comments, the Bucs have no accountability for how bad they play. Morris has one of the youngest teams in the league, thus he can shape them in any fashion he chooses -- and he should choose to demand more, expect more and never be content. As Billy Joel wrote in his song "Vienna' (one of his best, in my opinion): "Don't you know that only fools are satisfied?"

With the youthful Bucs, Morris needs to never feel satisfied -- until they achieve something more than winning a few games. In the NFL, it is easy to get good, but hard to get great. And great is needed to win a Super Bowl.

Morris had the perfect opportunity to be more demanding on his team using the Patriots approach as a symbol of excellence, but he chose to dismiss the Patriots style and allow his team to not be accountable. Do you think his players really believe Morris' approach is better than that of a three-time Super Bowl winning coach? Morris missed his chance to take his team to another level.

The worst thing any coach can do -- whether it's Mike McCarthy of the Packers or Bill Belichick of the Patriots -- is to be satisfied based on preseason play. A coach must keep his team focused during preseason, keep them working to improve and keep their full attention. Therefore, when a team plays poorly, or below that level, a coach has the opportunity to make the corrections needed and refocus his team, which is exactly what Reid is going to do this week.

I thought Raheem's actions over the weekend stated pretty clearly he wasn't "satisfied" at all. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Of course, this could be just another media turd that doesn't know what he's talking about, especially when it comes to the Bucs.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 24, 2011, 12:51:00 PM

No accountability? Didn't he call out the WR's?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 24, 2011, 12:56:30 PM

No accountability? Didn't he call out the WR's?
lol

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 24, 2011, 01:24:24 PM

I thought Raheem's actions over the weekend stated pretty clearly he wasn't "satisfied" at all. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Of course, this could be just another media turd that doesn't know what he's talking about, especially when it comes to the Bucs.

You're not missing anything, Steve. But the other posters are.

On this point, Lombardi is wrong and he looks like an incompetent/poor journalist. Is he usually this bad?

And even some of our fans don't realize how off he was.

Stroud (imagine that) had all the relevant points on this...

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article1187237.ece

Morris had planned to give Bucs players two days off. But after Thursday's 31-14 preseason meltdown against the New England Patriots, he scheduled practices for Saturday and Sunday.

The first workout was washed out by a thunderstorm and replaced by a weightlifting session. Sunday, Morris extended a 70-minute practice by half an hour and had players in helmets and shoulder pads.

"You get them in (the meeting room), and you cuss them out," Morris said. "We were going to have two days off, but after a loss like that, you want to get them back on the field as soon as possible.

"I wasn't upset about the stuff they missed because of scheme and things of that nature. What you get on them about is that we got beat physically. You never want to lose the one-on-one battles. That kind of sets the tone for the whole thing."

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 24, 2011, 01:28:43 PM

You're not missing anything, Steve. But the other posters are.

On this point, Lombardi is wrong and he looks like an incompetent/poor journalist. Is he usually this bad?

And even some of our fans don't realize how off he was.

Stroud (imagine that) had all the relevant points on this...

Morris had planned to give Bucs players two days off. But after Thursday's 31-14 preseason meltdown against the New England Patriots, he scheduled practices for Saturday and Sunday.

The first workout was washed out by a thunderstorm and replaced by a weightlifting session. Sunday, Morris extended a 70-minute practice by half an hour and had players in helmets and shoulder pads.

"You get them in (the meeting room), and you cuss them out," Morris said. "We were going to have two days off, but after a loss like that, you want to get them back on the field as soon as possible.

"I wasn't upset about the stuff they missed because of scheme and things of that nature. What you get on them about is that we got beat physically. You never want to lose the one-on-one battles. That kind of sets the tone for the whole thing."

Well see, you'd actually have to do some research to learn this sort of thing. And after watching an NFL Network portion on our training camp and seeing the guy have to constantly look at a piece of paper to remember that our MLBs were named Foster and Mackenzie and then went back to 8 stories about Moss retiring or Burress' return, I realized they're just an NFL-only version of ESPN.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 24, 2011, 01:42:28 PM

Lombardi has been a Bucs basher ever since his buddies Gruden and Allen were canned

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 24, 2011, 02:10:51 PM

Stupid liberal media, haha just kidding. I haven't seen anywhere that Morris or any of the players are satisfied about that performance. No one is crying about it and saying this season is going to be a failure but no one is happy about it.

Mid preseason fodder.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 24, 2011, 02:12:51 PM

Raheem's comments (quoted within his article) makes it pretty clear he wasn't satisfied.  My thought is that he should be more disappointed in himself than his players.  The whole 'The Patriots took a different approach...' comment is what chapped my ***.  Rah, do you mean the "they tried to win" approach?

I HATE making any military comparisons (out of respect for our military), but the game reminded me of an attempted military action that lacked any planning... 'We didn't give it to them that way.'...  What the hell is this mastermind approach?  I'm just another fan, but even I could have told our players "They're gonna bring extra rushers..." OR "The majority of their passing game occurs within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage."  It's NOT like the Pats came out and unexpectedly ran off 10 straight wildcats or something.  Rah seemed to make it sound like some of these guys didn't know they were going to be expected to tackle people, defend against passes, or block rushing defenders - and THIS method would identify who didn't know what was coming.  Of course you don't "game plan" in the preseason, but geeez - you DO let your guys know there's going to be a football game.  The team looked so outclassed and unprepared it was truly embarrassing.

Rah...  You're the COACHES.  You're supposed to know more than your players.  To (supposedly) know more than the players, yet not teach them by means of having some semblance of a plan or approach, is a disservice to every player IMO.  Sure, you might figure out who thinks well on their feet, but with an abbreviated off-season AND the youngest team in the NFL, I'm thinking that teaching these young guys as much as possible, in such a short period of time, would be paramount in the coaching staff's thinking.  Obviously, I'm wrong.

As for Lombardi...  Referring to Lombardi as "just another media turd" is pretty ignorant.  The guy has worked for 5 NFL teams, heading up two different Personnel Departments.  I think he's probably a pretty football-smart dude...
: August 24, 2011, 02:19:16 PM BucsFTW

stormsct

Starter

#8 : August 24, 2011, 02:32:07 PM

As for Lombardi...  Referring to Lombardi as "just another media turd" is pretty ignorant.  The guy has worked for 5 NFL teams, heading up two different Personnel Departments.  I think he's probably a pretty football-smart dude...
The real ignorance is in working for a sports media outlet dedicated to football and making inane comments regarding a football team that are clearly erroneous - seemingly for the sake of making them.

Being a "football-smart dude" doesn't excuse lack of proper team research and constructive discourse. So, my "media turd" comment stands.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 24, 2011, 02:55:58 PM

The real ignorance is in working for a sports media outlet dedicated to football and making inane comments regarding a football team that are clearly erroneous - seemingly for the sake of making them.

Being a "football-smart dude" doesn't excuse lack of proper team research and constructive discourse. So, my "media turd" comment stands.

As well it should.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 24, 2011, 03:35:13 PM

S2 - You've intrigued me...

What comments were erroneous?  What "proper team research" did he not perform?

I think you're missing two points here...  It's not like he's a Communications major, who stumbled on an NFL gig, and...  The fact we're talking about it tells me the guy did his job.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 24, 2011, 03:45:24 PM

S2 - You've intrigued me...

What comments were erroneous?  What "proper team research" did he not perform?

I think you're missing two points here...  It's not like he's a Communications major, who stumbled on an NFL gig, and...  The fact we're talking about it tells me the guy did his job.

Guy didn't do his job and nobody should have to explain to you why that's the case. But I will, again...

Lombardi wrote: "Morris gave his players a free pass for a bad performance. Based on his comments, the Bucs have no accountability for how bad they play."

So he wrote that based on his comments? Lazy ass only had to do a little digging to find out what Stroud did: He held the players accountable.

How did you miss this the first time?

"You get them in (the meeting room), and you cuss them out
," Morris said. "We were going to have two days off, but after a loss like that, you want to get them back on the field as soon as possible.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#12 : August 24, 2011, 04:01:45 PM

Lombardi has been a Bucs basher ever since his buddies Gruden and Allen were canned
yup

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#13 : August 24, 2011, 04:04:09 PM

If Lombardi was any good at what he did, he'd still be working for an NFL team

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 24, 2011, 04:10:20 PM

Guy didn't do his job and nobody should have to explain to you why that's the case. But I will, again...

Lombardi wrote: "Morris gave his players a free pass for a bad performance. Based on his comments, the Bucs have no accountability for how bad they play."

So he wrote that based on his comments? Lazy ass only had to do a little digging to find out what Stroud did: He held the players accountable.

How did you miss this the first time?

"You get them in (the meeting room), and you cuss them out
," Morris said. "We were going to have two days off, but after a loss like that, you want to get them back on the field as soon as possible.

I DO apologize Joe.  And thanks for the clarification.  I completely misinterpreted Steve's comment, and yes - his (Lombardi's) assumption "based on Morris' comments" was just that, assumptive (and lacking merit).

I knew (following his presser) that he obviously wasn't thrilled with some of the Bucs individual efforts, but I was less than impressed with Rah's coaching effort.  I personally thought it was the Buc's best opportunity to make a statement to the rest of the league that we (the Bucs) "are for real", and generate more enthusiasm (and hopefully ticket sales) with a better showing.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lombardi of NFL Network Believes Morris is Satisfied with Bucs Preseason Play « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools