Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lombardi of NFL Network Believes Morris is Satisfied with Bucs Preseason Play « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 24, 2011, 04:14:10 PM

If Lombardi was any good at what he did, he'd still be working for an NFL team
Undoubtedly.  My point was he came from an NFL background (as opposed to being trained as a journalist).  I never said the guy was going to bring home a Pulitzer any time soon.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 24, 2011, 06:08:21 PM

[et them back on the field as soon as possible.
"I wasn't upset about the stuff they missed because of scheme and things of that nature. What you get on them about is that we got beat physically. You never want to lose the one-on-one battles. That kind of sets the tone for the whole thing."

I DO apologize Joe.  And thanks for the clarification.  I completely misinterpreted Steve's comment, and yes - his (Lombardi's) assumption "based on Morris' comments" was just that, assumptive (and lacking merit).

I knew (following his presser) that he obviously wasn't thrilled with some of the Bucs individual efforts, but I was less than impressed with Rah's coaching effort.  I personally thought it was the Buc's best opportunity to make a statement to the rest of the league that we (the Bucs) "are for real", and generate more enthusiasm (and hopefully ticket sales) with a better showing.
[/quote]

No need to apologize to me.

The thing that bothers me about the lack of game planning against NE is that it almost got Free killed. Really risky and not a smart move.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 24, 2011, 06:15:10 PM

The thing that bothers me about the lack of game planning against NE is that it almost got Free killed. Really risky and not a smart move.

Right?  I remember thinking (after the THIRD friggin' play) "Raheem...  It's Bellichick.  You KNOW how much they love to bring pressure!"

And it's not like Billy's game plan changed when the 2nd & 3rd stringers came in.  They brought extra rushers all night long.

You're right...  Not smart at all.

stormsct

Starter

#18 : August 24, 2011, 06:36:25 PM

Guy didn't do his job and nobody should have to explain to you why that's the case. But I will, again...

Lombardi wrote: "Morris gave his players a free pass for a bad performance. Based on his comments, the Bucs have no accountability for how bad they play."

So he wrote that based on his comments? Lazy ass only had to do a little digging to find out what Stroud did: He held the players accountable.

How did you miss this the first time?

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article1187237.ece

Morris had planned to give Bucs players two days off. But after Thursday's 31-14 preseason meltdown against the New England Patriots, he scheduled practices for Saturday and Sunday.

The first workout was washed out by a thunderstorm and replaced by a weightlifting session. Sunday, Morris extended a 70-minute practice by half an hour and had players in helmets and shoulder pads.

"You get them in (the meeting room), and you cuss them out
," Morris said. "We were going to have two days off, but after a loss like that, you want to get them back on the field as soon as possible.

"I wasn't upset about the stuff they missed because of scheme and things of that nature. What you get on them about is that we got beat physically. You never want to lose the one-on-one battles. That kind of sets the tone for the whole thing."

I DO apologize Joe.  And thanks for the clarification.  I completely misinterpreted Steve's comment, and yes - his (Lombardi's) assumption "based on Morris' comments" was just that, assumptive (and lacking merit).

I knew (following his presser) that he obviously wasn't thrilled with some of the Bucs individual efforts, but I was less than impressed with Rah's coaching effort.  I personally thought it was the Buc's best opportunity to make a statement to the rest of the league that we (the Bucs) "are for real", and generate more enthusiasm (and hopefully ticket sales) with a better showing.
Glad that's cleared up... :D

bashear

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 24, 2011, 07:32:17 PM

Failure to mention that Morris cancelled the weekend off ruins Lombardi's diatribe. Was it a failure on his part to do some research and understand what he was writing about, or was it a conscious decision on his part?

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 27, 2011, 11:21:04 AM

I'm going with the later...

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 27, 2011, 11:30:17 AM

Lombardi was commenting on Morris'  comments after the game which I agree with. I thought it was a terrible way to present the effort.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 27, 2011, 11:33:28 AM

Lombardi was commenting on Morris'  comments after the game which I agree with. I thought it was a terrible way to present the effort.

And most of us don't care what he says during press conferences. We care what he says to the team and how he reacts. He said he cussed them out and cancelled the two days off.

Lombardi is an ass.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 27, 2011, 11:39:54 AM

Lombardi is an ass.

Asses, across the world, are offended.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 27, 2011, 12:11:05 PM

And most of us don't care what he says during press conferences. We care what he says to the team and how he reacts. He said he cussed them out and cancelled the two days off.

Lombardi is an ass.

I think the public presentation the team makes is important. The Bucs, coach and players....aside from Freeman...who seems to be the only one who "gets it"....did a piss poor job of communicating the lack of effort to the public. Morris then began to back down off his initial message when it became apparent that the "gameplan" bs was going over like a lead balloon with a good many of fans and media.

What I'm hoping is that he gave the appropriate "feedback" to guys like McCoy...who've declared themselves leaders and then had a nice giggle at the crapfest vs. the Pats.....and the rest of the team for the complete lack of effort.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 27, 2011, 12:17:55 PM

I think the public presentation the team makes is important. The Bucs, coach and players....aside from Freeman...who seems to be the only one who "gets it"....did a piss poor job of communicating the lack of effort to the public. Morris then began to back down off his initial message when it became apparent that the "gameplan" bs was going over like a lead balloon with a good many of fans and media.

I doubted it, too. Until I read that he said it four days before the Patriots game.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=53137

What I'm hoping is that he gave the appropriate "feedback" to guys like McCoy...who've declared themselves leaders and then had a nice giggle at the crapfest vs. the Pats.....and the rest of the team for the complete lack of effort.

I see how this team plays for him. No need to hope for anything. He knows how to get the most out of his players. If we the same kind of thing tonight or in the regular season, then we have a problem.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 27, 2011, 12:22:32 PM

I doubted it, too. Until I read that he said it four days before the Patriots game.

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=53137
I think there's a difference between scheming and doing what you do. Did the Patriots watch 200 hours of film on the Bucs and decide they were going to specifically do this or that? I doubt it. They just ran their plays and did what they do. Just like the Bucs didn't specifically scheme rushing Watson off the line of scrimmage, dropping Bennett into zone coverage, or running a corner blitz. They just ran their plays and did what they do.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 27, 2011, 05:56:47 PM

I have always hated when a writer thinks he has the knowledge to tell an nfl coach how things should be done.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lombardi of NFL Network Believes Morris is Satisfied with Bucs Preseason Play « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools