Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White to Old School: Start Okam. He's The Best NT We've Got « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« : August 25, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »

If anybody has the full podcast of this interview, please post it.

http://www.joebucsfan.com

Last year, White was calling for Okam to play nose tackle, and now White’s fired up about the results of Okam at the nose against New England, so he said on 1010 AM Tuesday night with Derek “Old School” Fournier.

“This guy’s a gargantuan. Put him at the nose and they won’t be able to move him. And now because of injury they had to throw him in there, and that guy had a really good game. It was really hard for [New England] to move him. There were a couple of times when they tried to block him single with a guard and (laughs) it looked like literally an adult playing with a kid. Like ‘Get off me. Get off me so I can go make this tackle.’ It was kind of ridiculous as a matter of fact,” White said.

“So, you know, I understand why [the Bucs] really can’t, air quotes, play him at nose because there’s kind of a log jam now with guys who were draft picks, but I’m not so sure that he wouldn’t be the best option right now.”

White went on to say he likes Brian Price a lot and acknowledged Roy Miller’s knee injury but Mount Okam is probably top dog regardless.

“You got a healthy Frank Okam who’s really hard to move and has got quite a bit of wiggle for a man that size. You might want to go ahead and make that move right now [to start Okam] and be ahead of the game and get him acclimated to starting at nose tackle,” White said. “And go ahead and start the season with him. If [Price and Roy Miller] are good enough to overtake him after the season starts, then so be it. But right now, for my money, he’s the best nose we’ve got.”

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #1 : August 25, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »

Agress w/White.  Okam has played well when he's on the field.  Let's see if he can keep it up.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #2 : August 25, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »

Agreed.

gillen033

Starter

« #3 : August 25, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »

Okam has played well, but by all accounts so has Price when healthy. Let's see if Price can remain healthy, and if not, give Okam the job.

And here's the link to the podcast: http://whatthebuc.podbean.com/2011/08/25/2-hand-touch-patriots-loss-with-steve-white/

The Steve White interview starts around 15:50
« : August 25, 2011, 01:13:23 PM gillen033 »

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : August 25, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »

Is there any doubt by anyone that Okam should be playing? I've not seen or heard any.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Dy-nasty D

Starter
« #5 : August 25, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »

I'd like to see the Bucs sub Okam and Miller at NT and McCoy and Price at UT.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #6 : August 25, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »

That's why we have three...Miller,Okam, and Price.  Between them we should have a nice rotation.  Back to the Monte Kiffin definition, they are all starters...Who really cares who is on the field for the first snap of the game?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

« #7 : August 25, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »

There are some weaknesses in Okam game. His lateral game is poor. sometimes he gets in the way of his fellow d-fenderswhen the play goes outside and the o-lineman pull

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #8 : August 25, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »

That's why we have three...Miller,Okam, and Price.  Between them we should have a nice rotation.  Back to the Monte Kiffin definition, they are all starters...Who really cares who is on the field for the first snap of the game?

I want the best player to be starting the game at every position. If Okam is the best and he can get a sack, fumble or tackle for a loss in the first D series, I want that. No reason to bring him off the bench if he's the best. And if he's the best and his stamina holds up, he should get the most playing time.

And SW was calling for this last year.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #9 : August 25, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »

Plus they all bring something a little different.  Personally, I'm going to defer to Coach Millard to work that out for the betterment of that rotation.

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #10 : August 25, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »

I want the best player to be starting the game at every position. If Okam is the best and he can get a sack, fumble or tackle for a loss in the first D series, I want that. No reason to bring him off the bench if he's the best. And if he's the best and his stamina holds up, he should get the most playing time.

And SW was calling for this last year.

This is no knock on Frank, Loves the big guy, but Price is more shifty.  Miller has a little of both of them...so calling for the best in this instance is a matter of practice the week before...IMO

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #11 : August 25, 2011, 01:34:59 PM »

Plus they all bring something a little different.  Personally, I'm going to defer to Coach Millard to work that out for the betterment of that rotation.

Deferring to the coaches is fine. This is a message board and we can criticize coaches and give opinions that differ from the coaches. Nothing new there.

Start Okam. I don't care who has the larger contract. They're bringing Bowers off the bench and they can do the same with Miller and Price. Unless one of those two is
better than Okam.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #12 : August 25, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »

do we really think that the coaches arent playing the best players?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

MucBuc

Starter
« #13 : August 25, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »

I love watching him play and throw around blockers. Great pickup by Dom. When he first got here and I saw the measurements I thought he'd be just some fat guy to simulate a 3-4 NT on the scout team defense. But he's here to stay!

Oh, how I tire of young men and their ambitions.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #14 : August 25, 2011, 02:04:24 PM »

do we really think that the coaches arent playing the best players?

I have 100% faith that Morris is playing our best players, period. I just don't see Morris as that political of a guy to start a draft pick over a FA just because we drafted. Morris has said on several occasions that he was wrong about drafting guys, or anything else. I just don't see him doing anything but what is best for this team.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White to Old School: Start Okam. He's The Best NT We've Got « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools