Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jimmy Johnson was not a Raheem fan at first, but he is a believer now. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : August 26, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »

“I was really surprised,” Johnson said of how Morris came within a whisker of winning a playoff berth tiebreaker to the eventual Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers. “From Day 1, I was a little bit skeptical [of Morris' hiring]. I thought he has done just a fantastic job. They really played well [last year].

“Raheem has had a lot to do with [last year's success]. He coaches them with such confidence. He brings out the best in those players. I have been very impressed with what Raheem Morris has done.”

Source:    WDAE  AM  620

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #1 : August 26, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »

He certainly wasn't the only person that thought like that. Count me in as a member of that group as well.

stormsct

Starter

« #2 : August 26, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

There were a lot of skeptical, but hopeful (me included), people regarding Morris' hiring. He was a relative unknown with very little coaching experience:

Raheem's resume:

1. Bucs Assistant D. Backs coach from 2004 to 2005 (under Mike Tomlin)
2. K. State DC in 2006 (when Free was just a freshman QB)
3. Bucs D. Backs from 2007-2008 (replacing Greg Burns)
4. Named Bucs DC for the upcoming 2009 season (about a month later being named HC for the Bucs after Gruden was summarily dismissed and an interview with the Broncos for a HC'ing job)

Who gets a NFL HC job after only 4-5 years of true coaching experience, in either the college or professional level?

There were some valid concerns about his experience and ability to coach at the NFL level. But, He's proven to be a very good NFL Head Coach, thus far.

I'm excited to see what the future brings, to say the least. Only time will tell, though, whether the hiring of Raheem brings fortune or famine.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #3 : August 26, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »

I lost all respect for Jimmy Johnson when he started doing those extenze commercial

CTBuc

Second String

« #4 : August 26, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »

Ive loved the Raheem hire since day 1.  As outside RJS i was talking with Dewayne White and Raheem overheard some of my words of encouragement to D. White and he told me I would be a perfect coach so how could i not love the guy.  But he speaks with so much confidence and excitement it gets me excited.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5 : August 26, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

I've always been supportive of Rah and stuck up for him on these boards and in public, but even I had my doubts. I mean let's be honest he was a pretty horrible speaker at first and the 2009 season was disastrous. I'm glad I kept an open mind and gave him a chance (unlike many others) but only a liar would say they never had doubts. It's obvious now that Rah is exactly what this young rebuilding team needed. Without him we wouldn't have Freeman and we wouldn't be the young exciting team we are today. Good lookin out Glazer boys!
« : August 26, 2011, 03:12:54 PM JDouble »

Draft Aaron Donald

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #6 : August 26, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »

Rah is the man.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

CTBuc

Second String

« #7 : August 26, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »

Well I couldnt say it was Rah i was taking it out on.  Before 2009 I knew it was going to be a rough year.  Cato June got hurt or cut,  Brooks was gone, Galloway was gone,  and then to pile on it, didnt Bryant get hurt,  Garcia bounced, i Had no clue what was going to happen with a QB situation that year.  Even though once Freeman came in it improved like crazy.  And as far as a liar saying they never had doubts,  its just im too stubborn to have doubts.  I think were going 19-0 every year.  But I tend to always look at the positives and never the negatives and yes that does have its pros and cons

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #8 : August 26, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

CTBuc, for the record, I was just referring to the OP and how Jimmy Johnson admitted to having his doubts at first....wasn't calling you a liar or anything. Sorry if you misunderstood my post. I should have been more clear.

Draft Aaron Donald

CTBuc

Second String

« #9 : August 26, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »

Ohhhhhh my fault JDouble, misunderstood ya.  The only thing I will admit Rah drives me nuts with, is when our D ends drop in coverage.  Last year when stylez white would get beat by a tight end it would drive me crazy

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #10 : August 26, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »

Ohhhhhh my fault JDouble, misunderstood ya.  The only thing I will admit Rah drives me nuts with, is when our D ends drop in coverage.  Last year when stylez white would get beat by a tight end it would drive me crazy

Yeah I don't like it either, but I understand why he does it. We just haven't had the right DEs to make it work.

In the Patriots game we had success with a package that had Clayborn inside as DT and Watson as RE on a few passing downs. Now it could work with a guy like Watson at DE. He could actually role out and do a good job of covering a RB, TE, or slot receiver.....it's painful to watch though when we have these 285lbs dudes drop back in coverage.  :o

Draft Aaron Donald

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #11 : August 26, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »

LOL, in one of the preseason games, I think it was Dallas, the DE dropped in coverage and intercepted the ball. I envisioned Raheem watching it and yelling, "vindication!"

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

CTBuc

Second String

« #12 : August 26, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »

Yeah I don't like it either, but I understand why he does it. We just haven't had the right DEs to make it work.

In the Patriots game we had success with a package that had Clayborn inside as DT and Watson as RE on a few passing downs. Now it could work with a guy like Watson at DE. He could actually role out and do a good job of covering a RB, TE, or slot receiver.....it's painful to watch though when we have these 285lbs dudes drop back in coverage.  :o

I wouldnt mind if he did it like you mentioned in the patriots game.  However, I would personally only do that in 3rd and long situations as I think Clayborn at DT and Watson at DE is too small of a front line to stop any sort of running attack.  But this could definately work for us. 

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
« #13 : August 26, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »

'How bout' that Raheem Morris!'

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...

flaitguy

Starter
« #14 : August 26, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »

The only real side we see to a head coach is when he is in front of the camera, which has nothing to do with coaching, but unfortunately for Morris, he comes across on camera as a rookie goof ball who has no real gift for gab. I think that is why he gets the bad rep but he was an up and coming coach who the front office felt would be hired away from us if we didn't promote him soon . So therein is what happened. Probably as much as anything though, Dominick is making everyone look good.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jimmy Johnson was not a Raheem fan at first, but he is a believer now. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools