Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Bucs fans more apathetic than Jacksonville Jags fans « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Tampa2.1

Rookie

#15 : August 26, 2011, 12:16:52 PM

If the Bucs ever did move to LA I would actually cry :(

FIRE THE CANNONS

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#16 : August 26, 2011, 12:20:08 PM

Jax has a young team as well, so I don't think it has anything to do with team composition for the pro football apathy throughout Florida.

csidedave

Second String
#17 : August 26, 2011, 01:11:53 PM

This "journalist" lost all credibility with me with the photo he used from the throwback game against the Falcons.  Clearly it was taken hours before kickoff.  That game was pretty close to full.  The sun is high overhead in that photo and the game started at 4:30 late in the year.   Lead with a BS photo like that and I don't even read the article.

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 26, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Also, they sell out a lot more these days because they had to cover tens of thousands of seats with tarps.

As was noted in the article and on these boards, even with those tarps, their stadium capacity is more than Ray Jay.

Once again, if the young Bucs played in Jax, I think every game would be a sell out.

Love your screen name.

Hmm, touche.  I guess I missed that point in the article somehow...possibly due to my rage over how stupid this article is. :)

And thanks re: the screen name.  It combines my favorite movie with my favorite team...it was too perfect not to use!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 26, 2011, 01:36:41 PM

This "journalist" lost all credibility with me with the photo he used from the throwback game against the Falcons.  Clearly it was taken hours before kickoff.  That game was pretty close to full. 

No, it wasn't. Paid attendance was 53,955. Not close to a sell out. It was against a division rival, it was the throwback game and we were fighting for a playoff spot. It should have been an easy sell out. Apathy ruled the day.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 26, 2011, 01:46:58 PM

Also, Bianchi almost certainly didn't pick the photo used in his article.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 26, 2011, 02:08:48 PM

Buying a ticket is a matter of wanting to be there. When the Tampa-St. Pete media (and jerks like Bianchi) began turning against the Bucs in 2003, it began a gradual erosion of the fanbase. It cast a pall of negativity over the franchise that lingers to this day. The media was empowered by trying to get Gruden fired but even didn't give appropriate credit in the 2005 and 2007 playoff years. Consequently, a number of different things happened. Bandwagoners either stopped rooting or simply lost interest. Fans turned against each other into factions, which hurt morale. When you add the economy AND the novelty wearing off for many of the RayJay experience, you have this situation. Winning won't solve everything because the Bucs never established Pre-RayJay that they could sell out consistently. But it will help if the Bucs are a good team for MULTIPLE seasons. They go anything less than 10-6 this year and there will probably be more blackouts in 2012. No team has to overcome their local media (not counting PR of course) plus national guys like Yasinskas, plus nonsense like Scouts Inc., more than the Bucs. It's cyclic, but they get no benefif of the doubt. They're not an old school NFL team, their not an NFC East team, they're not a national team.

In Verner We Trust

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 26, 2011, 02:42:54 PM

they raised the tickets 33 percent 3 years ago and thats what broke the camels back.......if they did it 5 bucks a year it would have been ok ......but 25 bucks more a ticket was bad business.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#23 : August 26, 2011, 02:47:58 PM

This "journalist" lost all credibility with me with the photo he used from the throwback game against the Falcons.  Clearly it was taken hours before kickoff.  That game was pretty close to full. 

No, it wasn't. Paid attendance was 53,955. Not close to a sell out. It was against a division rival, it was the throwback game and we were fighting for a playoff spot. It should have been an easy sell out. Apathy ruled the day.

you just don't get it - I don't think you ever will.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 26, 2011, 03:08:18 PM

you just don't get it - I don't think you ever will.

You said you would start watching games at home on HD next year instead of going to the games. You said it was too much of a hassle to attend games. Can you detail some of those hassles?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#25 : August 26, 2011, 03:33:44 PM

So you've come to your conclusion of fan apathy based on one fan's response. That doesn't sound very intelligent.  Had you attended any of the Bucs open to the public practices in the middle of the day, in 95-degree heat/humidity, there was thousands of people/standing room only. Explain that.

Apathy? Nope - people can't afford the tickets.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 26, 2011, 03:40:35 PM

Yeah, if tickets were free, it would be packed every week. If tickets were five dollars, it would be packed every week. If tickets were ten dollars, it would be packed every week. At some price, it's no longer packed every week. The cost combined with the improved quality of the home-viewing experience has really hurt local attendance.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 26, 2011, 03:47:08 PM

So you've come to your conclusion of fan apathy based on one fan's response. That doesn't sound very intelligent.  Had you attended any of the Bucs open to the public practices in the middle of the day, in 95-degree heat/humidity, there was thousands of people/standing room only. Explain that.

Apathy? Nope - people can't afford the tickets.

Tell me what hassles you were referring to.

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#28 : August 26, 2011, 03:56:46 PM

they raised the tickets 33 percent 3 years ago and thats what broke the camels back.......if they did it 5 bucks a year it would have been ok ......but 25 bucks more a ticket was bad business.

Exactly right, 4Bucs. When the original 10 year period was up they hammered us with the big increase and that was the beginning of the end for sellouts. While they continue to chase the "new' fans and those that have left, they still have not done much for the loyal season ticket holders. I have struggled for the last 3 years to keep my seats, but between the ticket prices, parking and the price of gas it is becoming more difficult to justify. At least if I can't renew next year I know i won't be blacked out since i live in Pt Charlotte.

Zsnore

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler
#29 : August 26, 2011, 04:15:42 PM

Too many transplanted fans of other teams perpetuating their influence(always been the case), too much negativity on the local radio, never enough national recognition. Then some of the core fanbase turned bitter, and sour(you know who you are)... Certainly the 30% increase in ticket prices helped. Like anything its not whole story, so don't make an excuse like it is. Maybe to some individuals- which illustrates the point. The morale surrounding the team leading up to the '10 season was bombarded by many factors. The fact that the average sports fan in Tampa is soft remains the same.

This is what I think about the Glazers being cheap...
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Bucs fans more apathetic than Jacksonville Jags fans « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools