Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions sell out their MNF game in less than an hour « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #90 : August 30, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »

31-9, buchead. If he stuck around, there would have been no ring. They weren't on the verge. They were the 12th of 12 playoff teams. But a distant 12th, more like the 2010 Seahawks than the 2002 team the Bucs fielded. If people feel bad about Dungy being fired STILL, they're being revisionist and they're morons. Come up north and sit in minus-10 degree wind chill factor for about four hours, smell urine rolling down the aisles and surround yourself with cackling Eagles fans. That's how the 2001 season ended at Veterans Stadium in Philly. The 31-9 score doesn't begin to tell you how badly they whupped us. So let's not get back to this nonsense. Bucs fans kept supporting the team when Gruden came in and then the guys they fell in love with got old. The team drafted poorly, some of the novelties wore off, economy got bad and media thrived on the negativity. But if one person is using Dungy as a reason not to go, it's just a lame twisting of the facts.

In Verner We Trust

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #91 : August 30, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »

Outstanding post.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #92 : August 30, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »

Bucs fans kept supporting the team when Gruden came in and then the guys they fell in love with got old. The team drafted poorly, some of the novelties wore off, economy got bad and media thrived on the negativity.

Truth

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #93 : August 30, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »

Im not saying dungy would have def got a ring with the bucs. What im saying is he was a good coach that was loved who got fired. Because of that many fans are now x fans. Same with gru.

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #94 : August 30, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »

And i have never been to philly but i can asure you there is a ton of people in tampa who feel this way as i have been here my whole life. Rather dungy gotta bad rap or not, there is plenty of people (specially in the black community) who feel as tho he didnt get a fair shake. I think most people who feel that way look at the status of the bucs when dungy came and all the work he put forth to turn the franchise around.
Im not saying either coach shoul or shouldnt have been fired. Just adding to  this discussion on why tickets arent selling like they use to.
« : August 30, 2011, 01:54:54 PM buchead »

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #95 : August 30, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »

Im not saying dungy would have def got a ring with the bucs. What im saying is he was a good coach that was loved who got fired. Because of that many fans are now x fans. Same with gru.
In my recollection, Dungy was not terribly popular while he was actually the coach. He got a lot more popular in the years he was gone.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #96 : August 30, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

If you mean nationally then i agree. Every coach has his group of fans that dont like him but dungy had alot of respect loacally

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #97 : August 30, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »

This thread was about the Lions selling out a MNF game. My questions is still "how many of the tickets were bought by Chicago fans?"

If Detroit sells out a game because 3/4s of the tkts were bought by fans from a team only 270 miles away, then what does that have to do with Tampa?????

Chicago is closer to Detroit than Miami is to Tampa and Chicago fans are ravenous. End of story

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #98 : August 30, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »

All three Florida teams facing blackouts
Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2011, 8:51 AM EDT

It’s a given that some, most, or all of the Buccaneers’ 2011 home games won’t be televised locally.  The Jaguars once again are in jeopardy of having their games blacked out in their home market, too.

So why not go for the Trifecta?

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins are facing blackouts in 2011.  The team currently has a streak of 102 straight regular-season sellouts, dating back to 1998 and somehow covering all of the post-Marino era, including the 1-15 season of 2007.

Most immediately, Salguero reports that 13,000 tickets remain unsold for the Week Two game against the Texans.  Per Salguero, three other regular-season games (Bills, Broncos, Redskins) may not be televised locally, based on the current pace of ticket sales.

The Cowboys a/k/a America’s Team make a preseason trip to Sun Life Stadium on Thursday night, but that national following wasn’t enough to sell all of the non-premium seats.  (The two teams play during the regular season, but in Dallas, not Miami.)

It’s a problem that will require a more creative fix than having goofy, one-time promotions, like a reunion of the 2009 Florida Gators.  And it’s a topic into which I’ll delve in further detail during today’s PFT Live.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/all-three-florida-teams-facing-blackouts/

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #99 : August 30, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »

Interesting dialogue by Buc/Bolt fans on why the Bucs are struggling w/ ticket sales along w/ why the Bolts seem to be doing so much better in season ticket sales:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=53322#comments

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #100 : August 30, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

Interesting dialogue by Buc/Bolt fans on why the Bucs are struggling w/ ticket sales along w/ why the Bolts seem to be doing so much better in season ticket sales:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=53322#comments

The lightning made it far in the playoffs. It wasnt because of offseason. The Lightning pretty much did the same thing as the bucs in resigning their own guys and even lost a couple of players. They just signed guys who fit the system, nobody noteworthy. If the Bucs were to get a lot of season ticket holders next year it will be because the Bucs made it far into the playoffs and have proven to be a team that will continuously get into the playoffs. I think the Lightning have proven that they are gonna be a consistent winner with who they have running the team in Steve Yzerman. Also doesnt hurt that they made it to Eastern conference finals. When the Bucs show that they are gonna be a consistent winner then they will get attention again. This city really is just a big bandwagon city. It hurts me to say it but its true.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #101 : August 31, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »

Our issues in Florida have nothing to do with and are different from those in Detroit.  Other than people are out of work and suffering the global similarities stop there. Or at least they should...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #102 : August 31, 2011, 10:58:40 AM »

Agreed.   The issues in Detroit are far worse than in Tampa.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

« #103 : August 31, 2011, 11:17:41 AM »

All three Florida teams facing blackouts
Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2011, 8:51 AM EDT

It’s a given that some, most, or all of the Buccaneers’ 2011 home games won’t be televised locally.  The Jaguars once again are in jeopardy of having their games blacked out in their home market, too.

So why not go for the Trifecta?

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins are facing blackouts in 2011.  The team currently has a streak of 102 straight regular-season sellouts, dating back to 1998 and somehow covering all of the post-Marino era, including the 1-15 season of 2007.

Most immediately, Salguero reports that 13,000 tickets remain unsold for the Week Two game against the Texans.  Per Salguero, three other regular-season games (Bills, Broncos, Redskins) may not be televised locally, based on the current pace of ticket sales.

The Cowboys a/k/a America’s Team make a preseason trip to Sun Life Stadium on Thursday night, but that national following wasn’t enough to sell all of the non-premium seats.  (The two teams play during the regular season, but in Dallas, not Miami.)

It’s a problem that will require a more creative fix than having goofy, one-time promotions, like a reunion of the 2009 Florida Gators.  And it’s a topic into which I’ll delve in further detail during today’s PFT Live.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/all-three-florida-teams-facing-blackouts/

I think this pretty much slams the door shut on the "economy" arguement.  Florida is a very transient state and has a ton of non-Florida born residents.  While the popluation numbers are high, the demand for professional FLORIDA sports doesn't jive statistically with other states and areas.  The only reason the Dolphins have been selling out is because of it's proximity to South Beach.  A few years back (I can't believe how time flies - it was back in '03) my cousin (who's a Dolphin's fan), went on a long (5-day Thurs-Mon), weekend trip.  We spent the entire time in South Beach, went to the Dolphins game Sunday afternoon, spent the rest of the day in South Beach.  Then rented a car and drove up to Tampa on Monday for the Monday night game against the Giants.  There were TONS of Redskins fans at the Dolphins game and a large amount of Giants fans at the Bucs game... THIS COMING AFTER A SUPER BOWL SEASON!!!

Florida's teams biggest problem is that they are in Florida.  If the teams aren't winning, people aren't showing up.  It's really that simple.  It's not the economy.  While there are many die-hard Buc fans here on this board, there aren't that many in the Tampa area.  The Buccaneers pool for ticket buyers is significantly smaller than the population numbers would lead you to believe.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #104 : August 31, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »

The transient population issue is a big one and it doesn't apply to hockey because there aren't a lot of hockey fans anywhere. Also, let's be logical here for a moment; when  fans relocate from cold cities, they want to go to a warm area. My guess is that fewer of those fans are hockey fans than those who STAY in the cold area (by percentage). But football and baseball are all-weather sports (by that I mean they span multiple seasons and conditions). So the Lightning aren't dealing with the same issues.
Take it one step further. Tampa is spring training home to the Yankees. Those same fans are mostly Giant and Jets fans. The Phils are in Clearwater (and experiencing the best era of their history). If more Phils fans go to Clearwater, that's more Eagles fans (as 90 percent of Phillies fans are also Eagles fans; it's a very provincial fan base).
And remember that it's a ONE WAY move. People don't leave Tampa to go to Detroit. They pretty much ONLY go south.

In Verner We Trust
  Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions sell out their MNF game in less than an hour « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools