Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Week One a sell out? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

PreferNFL

Hall of Famer

« #30 : August 30, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »

All I will say is this:

Majority of games will be blacked out here......and I do not think the economy is as big a factor as Dom and the Glazer-butts are making it out to be.  Like any intelligent consumer, all folks want is value for their dollars spent.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #31 : August 30, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »

I don't know about the rest of Tampa, all I can do is speak for myself, but for me it is 100% economy.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #32 : August 30, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »

Lightning have sold 5000 new season tickets. Those aren't cheap as it's for 42 games. So, how is that possible if the economy is so bad that it's keeping people from having disposable income for things like sporting events?

Sorry folks but with the Bucs, it's more than just a down economy. A lot more. Do we know how many new folks signed up for Bucs season tickets?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/content/tampa-bay-lightning-doubles-season-ticket-sales-2011-12-ceo-tod-leiweke-says

Excerpt:

The Lightning, coming off its first playoff appearance in four years, has sold more than 10,000 full season tickets for next season, CEO Tod Leiweke said, doubling last season’s total of 5,000.

“We’re right at 10,000, maybe 10,005,” Leiweke said. “We feel good about that.”

Leiweke said renewals are running at about 90 percent, which means about 5,500 new subscribers have signed up. When yet-to-be-sold partial season tickets are factored in, Leiweke said he hopes the season-ticket base will be about 12,000.

The problem the NFL has I think is they are still operating as if it is the early 2000s. Many teams had long waiting lists and they were able to increase prices every year and demand whatever they want and the fans would still come. Now they can't do that anymore. Not only has the economy forced people to start looking at their financial decisions more closely....but other sports leagues and other entertainment options have put out special deals and have cut into the NFL's market slightly. And now the NFL is being forced to consider marketing strategies that they never had to do in the past. People arnt lining up anymore begging for a ticket. Now the ticket offices need to be real salesmen.

The big problem with season ticket sales is those pre-season games they force you to buy. People dont want to pay full-price for those games.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #33 : August 30, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »

Lightning have sold 5000 new season tickets. Those aren't cheap as it's for 42 games. So, how is that possible if the economy is so bad that it's keeping people from having disposable income for things like sporting events?

Sorry folks but with the Bucs, it's more than just a down economy. A lot more. Do we know how many new folks signed up for Bucs season tickets?

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/content/tampa-bay-lightning-doubles-season-ticket-sales-2011-12-ceo-tod-leiweke-says

Excerpt:

The Lightning, coming off its first playoff appearance in four years, has sold more than 10,000 full season tickets for next season, CEO Tod Leiweke said, doubling last season’s total of 5,000.

“We’re right at 10,000, maybe 10,005,” Leiweke said. “We feel good about that.”

Leiweke said renewals are running at about 90 percent, which means about 5,500 new subscribers have signed up. When yet-to-be-sold partial season tickets are factored in, Leiweke said he hopes the season-ticket base will be about 12,000.

The problem the NFL has I think is they are still operating as if it is the early 2000s. Many teams had long waiting lists and they were able to increase prices every year and demand whatever they want and the fans would still come. Now they can't do that anymore. Not only has the economy forced people to start looking at their financial decisions more closely....but other sports leagues and other entertainment options have put out special deals and have cut into the NFL's market slightly. And now the NFL is being forced to consider marketing strategies that they never had to do in the past. People arnt lining up anymore begging for a ticket. Now the ticket offices need to be real salesmen.

The big problem with season ticket sales is those pre-season games they force you to buy. People dont want to pay full-price for those games.

You mean its not just Raheems fault?? Who woulda thought???

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #34 : August 30, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »

As one poster on JBF.com posted....Bolts sell 50% of its stadium capacity and it's a big deal. Bucs sell about 66% of RJS capacity, and they're lacking. Selling nearly 40,000 season tickets at high. overinflated NFL prices where two meaningless games are included at full price is a pretty good accomplishment, really.

BUC U!

Rookie

« #35 : August 30, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »

detroit has nothing going on but an up and coming good team...  i look at it as the same as the saints after katrina,  the city is depressed and the only bright spot is football. of course the city will turn toward the only bright spot in the near future.  tampa has the beach, lightning, and rays.  the economy has some play in it but most is on the bandwagon jumpers.  just my .02

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #36 : August 30, 2011, 11:30:52 PM »

Other than $35 for season tix (per seat/per game), where are the deals for people who only make it to only a couple games a year?  Plain and simple, the ticket prices in the 300's are still WAY OVERPRICED!  If they ran a promo that gets per game tix in the 300's for $35-40, I think they sell out quickly.  I have a hard time believing they won't make it up in concessions & merchandise sales.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #37 : August 30, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »

Other than $35 for season tix (per seat/per game), where are the deals for people who only make it to only a couple games a year?  Plain and simple, the ticket prices in the 300's are still WAY OVERPRICED!  If they ran a promo that gets per game tix in the 300's for $35-40, I think they sell out quickly.  I have a hard time believing they won't make it up in concessions & merchandise sales.

A few days ago, there were $35 and $40 individual game tickets available for the Lions game. Now there are just $40 tickets left. The deals are there and have been for every home game. And they didn't sell out quickly for the Detroit game. Why is that the case, BT?

PreferNFL

Hall of Famer

« #38 : August 31, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »

Remember the fact that it is a $9B annual business?  These owners are making huge bank.  So, if they wanted to "market" their product, they could 'donate" extra tickets to fill the stadium, turn around and write it off as charity or whatever.

I admitted that the economy affects many, but the fact that other teams sell out their games is an indication that it is not economical situations at a 100% level.

Here in the Bay Area, there are many other "attractions" available to us locals.  It is going to require the Bucs to put together a solid 2011 season and reach the playoffs...then you will see RayJay full again.  JMO.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #39 : August 31, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »

You'll likely find them (discounted tix) on secondary sites like Ebay if you really want to attend - especially if the Bucs start of poorly this season.

Pick up one or two games, if you're a true fan - no one says you have to be a season ticket holder.

It seems that Tampa has an "all or none" mentality.  If I weren't a STH, I'd pick a couple of the best two-three games to attend - then you're not stuck w/ paying for those worthless/meaningless preseason games.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #40 : August 31, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »

Someone touched on this idea months ago. How many corporate seats do they have in the $300 that don't sell? Go back a few years when they were selling. I think we can hypothesize that the Bucs maxed out on these clientele at one point and given the economic cutbacks actually have LESS of them now. You won't ever have to deal with that issue in NYC, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago. But let's not forget that we're only a few years removed from ticket issues in Atlanta. Jacksonville has been a perennial problem. And as for Bianchi's blast a few days ago at all Florida fans, it's nonsensical because LA has a large transient population too. What would happen if the Bucs suddenly moved to LA? Even worse than in Tampa. You'd have a pocket of five percent Bears fans and five percent Giants or Jets fans and five percent Steelers fans, etc. It wouldn't work. Let the Bucs make the playoffs this year and hopefully enough buzz will sell out the stadium. But unless you cut down on that highest ticket bracket, this may be a long-term problem.

In Verner We Trust

Dy-nasty D

Starter
« #41 : August 31, 2011, 09:31:37 AM »

It is the economy, but it's more than that.

Gruden/Allen/Glazers turned off a lot of fans in their last years as FO. Fans got cynical and tuned out.

Glazers hired Morris/Dominik to rebuild good will in the community. It's going to take some time and a playoff win to get the lost fans back in the stadium.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #42 : August 31, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »

Attended a breakfast for some SHT on Monday and watch Morris gave his full attention to a lot of people that came up to him to talk - including a couple of kids. Morris and Dominik were genuinely interested in talking to the people there - and you know both of them have a lot on their plates and have better things to do than interacting w/ fans.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

« #43 : August 31, 2011, 10:38:10 AM »

Not to sound like an a'hole, but how can people keep throwing out the "economy" excuse when there are $35 tickets?

The blackout issue is really not hard to figure out IMO. Bottom line, the Tampa area fanbase is one of the worst in all of sports when it comes to attending games...right up there with Atlanta.

bucs63

Starter

« #44 : August 31, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »

As BTown said $35 is for season tickets, but the economy can't be THAT bad. During the games Saturday, Glazer mentioned the price reductions and said "people can afford to go to the games." Sounded to me like he's blaming the customer if they don't buy his product.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Week One a sell out? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools