Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looks like Ahmad Black is history .... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 02, 2011, 12:19:28 PM

Black is safe on the PS though, so there is no risk. He has grown up in Florida and always wanted to be a Buc. If a team tries to steal him, I am quite sure he will give us the chance to either give him more money to stay like we did Briscoe, or promote him to the 53. No risk by putting him on the PS.

I had not thought of this but you are probably right. I think Black would give the Bucs the opportunity to match so the risk would probably be minimal.

If a team claims him off waivers, there is nothing the Bucs can do.

Sure.  But who would put a waiver claim on him?  The guy is an undersized rookie who hasn't shown anything at all since being drafted.  That's a pretty big risk for a team to commit to on their 53-man roster.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#16 : September 02, 2011, 12:20:27 PM

I'm not clear on how waivers work, but doesn't Black have a say where he goes as a free agent? Some other team might have first rights, but if he has multiple offers, can he not choose what team he wants to go to?

No, once he is waived he will go on he waiver wire for 24 hours, all 31 other teams have a chance to claim him, team with the highest claim priority (based on last year's records) gets him and he has to go there. If nobody claims him, he becomes a FA and can sign with our PS or any team he likes.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#17 : September 02, 2011, 12:23:05 PM

Black is safe on the PS though, so there is no risk. He has grown up in Florida and always wanted to be a Buc. If a team tries to steal him, I am quite sure he will give us the chance to either give him more money to stay like we did Briscoe, or promote him to the 53. No risk by putting him on the PS.

I had not thought of this but you are probably right. I think Black would give the Bucs the opportunity to match so the risk would probably be minimal.

Sure.  But who would put a waiver claim on him?  The guy is an undersized rookie who hasn't shown anything at all since being drafted.  That's a pretty big risk for a team to commit to on their 53-man roster.

I think there i a chance he gets claimed. The only reason he won't make this roster is because he was hurt and didn't get a chance to show anything. A team lacking depth at safety would be smart to give him a look IMO.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 02, 2011, 12:23:37 PM

Right. The guy is a 5th round pick, underperformed in the measurables and was passed on by every team multiple times and has played 3 snaps in the preseason.

Some make it seem as if Ed Reed is on the bubble.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 02, 2011, 12:38:02 PM

Hes a guy I hope we hang onto. I think hes got great potential.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 02, 2011, 05:38:26 PM

Never thought he would make it in the first place.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 02, 2011, 07:39:36 PM

I'm not clear on how waivers work, but doesn't Black have a say where he goes as a free agent? Some other team might have first rights, but if he has multiple offers, can he not choose what team he wants to go to?

No, once he is waived he will go on he waiver wire for 24 hours, all 31 other teams have a chance to claim him, team with the highest claim priority (based on last year's records) gets him and he has to go there. If nobody claims him, he becomes a FA and can sign with our PS or any team he likes.

The team that claims him has to sign him to the regular roster. Highly doubt a team uses a roster spot for a guy currently injured.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 02, 2011, 11:57:53 PM

Never thought he would make it in the first place.
why??

grotesktruth

Starter

#23 : September 03, 2011, 02:00:23 AM

we're way heavy at safety is why he wouldnt make the 53. I was completely stumped at that pick honestly, though i like the guy. I dont think he gets claimed either, because he hasn't shown anything, nobody has any tape on the guy since college, and won't make the risk of using a PS spot on a completely unknown.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 03, 2011, 08:25:51 AM

great instincts or not 5'9" 180 pound Safeties that run 4.8 40s don't have much of a prayer of making it in the NFL.  yes I understand he was a great college player but so was everyone else at this level.  maybe he can eventually make the roster as a ST player/backup but many of you guys were saying how is was going to start as a rookie and be this great NFL player and that is just delusional.  I do fully expect him to be on the practice squad. 

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 03, 2011, 08:39:33 AM

IR is more likely; ZERO risk of losing him. I think Myron Lewis is goin' there too.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : September 03, 2011, 09:50:39 AM

Dude. Why do you think we are going to send guys to IR for ankle sprains? That's just silly.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 03, 2011, 04:44:58 PM

I dont see how he makes this team. Grimm, Jones, Asante, Lynch are all more deserving. I'd rather keep a 6th corner like Mack or Gaitor than have Black on the 53 man.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#28 : September 03, 2011, 04:48:32 PM

JD, he is not a FA until he clears waivers. If you pick up a player off waivers, you accept in total his current contract. So he would be on his rookie contract if picked up off waivers. If he clears waivers, that contract is voided and he gets what ever is offered.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 04, 2011, 12:30:01 AM

IR is more likely; ZERO risk of losing him. I think Myron Lewis is goin' there too.
I hope Myron Lewis can show us something.  So far, he has been a giant question mark, to me. 

This team is filled with guys that are "could-be's"  I haven't really seen much to really impress, but I will wait and see what happens.  Once the regular season rolls around, I will be able to start bagging on dudes, or praising them.  The team is so young, and from what I can gather, seems to actually be getting younger, despite where they should be going with a roster with so much "potential" talent.

The BUcs didn't beat teams with winning records last year.  Sans one.  Looking at their schedule, I hope the young kids can really come out and not be shock and awed by the entire game.  It is football, it is the same field they have played on their entire lives.  But once they come out to that NFL roar, and start seeing guys they watched on TV for years, they had better be ready to make their own history.  I am really biting nails going into this season.  I WANT to see them come out and really play well, and really execute.  With so much youth, and such a lack of practice time, I am sketchy about this upcoming season.  They won 10 games, so a regression, particularly a vast one (say 6 wins) is really going to make this regime look stupid again.  I do not want to go through a season like the one we had two years ago, when I actually FELL ASLEEP during a game at halftime, and they WON it.  That was depressing.

Oh yeah, Ahmad Black...I was not a fan when he got drafted.  And he has shown nothing to date.  I cannot wait until Tanard comes back myself.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Looks like Ahmad Black is history .... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools