Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which bottom of the Barrel players will Bucs sign? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

freddy

Hall of Famer
#30 : September 03, 2011, 09:53:05 PM

Yeah just like we scraped the bottom of the barrel with Blount. Getting proven free agents has always worked out in the past, with great players like Faine and Derrick Ward.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Please don't act like getting a Blount from the waiver wire is the norm, it is far from it. The vast majority of players cut at this time will never play another down in the NFL. Then trying to compare it to free agency under Allen is just silly.

Borat!

Starter

#31 : September 03, 2011, 10:14:55 PM

James Harrison and Cameron Wake were both UFAs who were "bottom of the barrel" guys. So was Donald Penn. Just saying.....

\\\\\\\"...even if we win the SB not getting a few FAS with so many available was being pig headed and fanatical.\\\\\\\" - 4bucs

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#32 : September 03, 2011, 10:22:24 PM

Every team in the league searches the waiver wire for other teams' trash that could turn out to be their treasure. I seriously doubt the Bucs are depending heavily on the final cutdown waiver wire pickups to be big time contributors to the team. Guys like Blount are the exception and not the rule. Maybe we get lucky again...more likely we'll only pick up a few developmental guys who will end up inactive on gamedays anyway.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 03, 2011, 10:38:48 PM

Every team in the league searches the waiver wire for other teams' trash that could turn out to be their treasure. I seriously doubt the Bucs are depending heavily on the final cutdown waiver wire pickups to be big time contributors to the team. Guys like Blount are the exception and not the rule. Maybe we get lucky again...more likely we'll only pick up a few developmental guys who will end up inactive on gamedays anyway.

Exactly, and in comparison, I think you would have better odds at the crap tables in Vegas than finding gold on the wire wire. Sure it does happen, just not very often. Almost 900 players just got cut, maybe 5 or 10 might actually do something productive this year in the NFL.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : September 03, 2011, 11:42:12 PM

Exactly, and in comparison, I think you would have better odds at the crap tables in Vegas than finding gold on the wire wire. Sure it does happen, just not very often. Almost 900 players just got cut, maybe 5 or 10 might actually do something productive this year in the NFL.

Out of those 900 players only a handful get another shot. Who knows how many out of the 900 could be good. It's the 5 or 10 out of the handful that get a shot that we know about. Doesn't mean there aren't more. For every Wes Welker that gets a shot and runs with it, there is an unknown amount of guys that never get the chance.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 03, 2011, 11:47:27 PM

Out of those 900 players only a handful get another shot. Who knows how many out of the 900 could be good. It's the 5 or 10 out of the handful that get a shot that we know about. Doesn't mean there aren't more. For every Wes Welker that gets a shot and runs with it, there is an unknown amount of guys that never get the chance.

You are absolutely correct JD, and of course to win the pot you have to ante up and play the hand. Gems can be found, it's just not a healthy thing to depend on them or to expect that gem every time.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#36 : September 03, 2011, 11:50:27 PM

No it's not, but the way I see it is we are ok with Blount and Graham. We should make the attempt to find a gem RB because for one RB is the easiest position to find a gem, and secondly we appear to have nothing in Lumpkin and Bradford. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#37 : September 03, 2011, 11:53:13 PM

No it's not, but the way I see it is we are ok with Blount and Graham. We should make the attempt to find a gem RB because for one RB is the easiest position to find a gem, and secondly we appear to have nothing in Lumpkin and Bradford. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Of course take a shot, and I agree with the running backs, Caddy was better than Lumpkin and Bradford, none were very good runners, but caddy was a decent 3rd back that could block well and an emotional leader on the team.

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#38 : September 04, 2011, 12:17:09 AM

You draft a player when he is 22 or 23 and the real skill is to project what he will be like when he is 25.  A real skill almost tantamount to predicting the future.

Sometimes a player has lost his confidence.

I have Okam in mind.  Cut by Houston and Seattle.  Played a superb game against Seattle last year and now turning heads.

Okam talked of loosing his confidence.

The skill in picking from the "bottom of the barrel" is to have a feel for underlying talent that has been compromised by a lack of confidence issue or a "poor opportunity" issue or whatever and providing a setting where that underlying talent can grow naturally.

Larson and Hardman are 2 other examples.

The Bucs are a very friendly environment for talent-suppressed players. Their practice square is known as short-time stepping stone to playing in the NFL.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#39 : September 04, 2011, 08:46:07 AM

Danny Woodhead is a good example of a bottom of the barrel player signed but the Patriots.....he signed in the 2nd week (I think), and finished the 2010 season with 3 starts in 14 games played. He had 97 carries for 547 yards (5.6 yard average), and five rushing touchdowns. He also caught 34 passes for 379 yards and one receiving touchdown.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 04, 2011, 09:48:40 AM

I think OL will be added to over the next few days. JUst my guess.

We need help at TE and OL for sure. The TE position has me scratching my head. Why keep only 2? makes no sense unless they plan on adding a player that was released.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#41 : September 04, 2011, 09:51:17 AM

John Gilmore is available at TE. He's familiar w/ the system - wouldn't be surprised if he's a Buc again, soon. Stocker's injury probably requires us to get two additional TEs - or maybe the Bucs will re-sign Overbay or Hardy.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 04, 2011, 09:54:14 AM

Yeah just like we scraped the bottom of the barrel with Blount. Getting proven free agents has always worked out in the past, with great players like Faine and Derrick Ward.

Blount and Briscoe are the exception not the rule. This is why some Bucs fans perception is that of a team on the cheap. I still have my season tickets because I support my team through good and bad. I love football and I want to see more fans back in the Stadium. But in order to do that the Bucs need to rethink their philosophy slightly.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 04, 2011, 10:02:58 AM

Oh gimme a break. That was a fluke. Bucko's point is that they keep playing this card and it's not one that works often, let alone all the time. And another wrong (Faine and Ward) doesn't make a right. One guarantee is that SOME free agents will work out for SOME teams. Just so happens that we picked lousy ones. But Joey J and McCardell and Dilger and Dudley were all good once upon a time.

Exactly. I'm not saying you need to go the way the Redskins and Eagles have but there are quality players to be had. Just imagine what this team would have been last year if the Bucs had picked up 1 Quality DE in FA. Missed opportunities.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 04, 2011, 10:10:58 AM

Some of you need to go back and take an 8th grade math lesson on probability and odds.

For ALLLLLL the HUNDREDS of players that get cut at the end of every preseason... only a HANDFUL actually do something afterwards... You guys are acting like we're going to find Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Reggie White, etc etc out there.

If there's a guy the team feels can help, they'll try and bring him in... but you need to quit using the Blount model as the guaranteed result, because your feelings are going to be hurt when we bring in another team's trash and he turns out to be our trash as well.

Hide Tools Show Tools