Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs grab Zac Diles « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #30 : September 04, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »

Honestly he seems like the Texans version of Geno Hayes....except slower. Coaches seem to be high on him and talk about his potential, but he never seems to reach it. Looks bad on gap assignments and tackling. Can't say I agree with cutting McKenzie for this dude. Just don't get it. I have a feeling I'll always wonder what really happened with McKenzie.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #31 : September 04, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »

Coulda been that at one time he was the best defender on abad houston D and they began spending premium picks on LBs.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #32 : September 04, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

Coulda been that at one time he was the best defender on abad houston D and they began spending premium picks on LBs.

Or he could have been one of the worst defenders on a bad Houston defense and a reason they began spending premium picks on LB's.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #33 : September 04, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »

Maybe he'll do better in Tampa....*shrugs*

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Soul Bro

Pro Bowler
« #34 : September 04, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »

Scott with the prediction in March!

However, the type of players the Bucs have been successfully acquiring over the last couple of years are the more obscure players, such as Crowder, Magee and defensive tackle Frank Okam. That’s why I could see the Bucs signing Houston linebacker Zac Diles, who played for Morris during his one year as Kansas State’s defensive coordinator.

The 25-year old Diles was the Wildcats’ second-leading tackler in 2006, recording 109 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception, one pass breakup and one fumble recovery that was returned 43 yards for a touchdown. When I went out to visit my alma mater, Kansas State, at Morris’ invitation for the game against No. 4 ranked Texas on ABC in 2006, Morris introduced me to Diles at the team hotel the night before the game. Morris said, “This is my stud, Zac Diles.”

Diles is not the most athletic linebacker in pro football, evidenced by the fact he was drafted by the Texans in the seventh round. But he does have the intelligence factor that Morris wants in his Mike linebacker, and at 6-foot-2, 245 pounds, Diles has the size and strength to play the position.

Don’t discount the familiarity that Morris has with Diles running his defense at K-State in 2006, either. In the Wildcats’ 31-27 come-from-behind victory against Oklahoma State in Josh Freeman’s first start during his freshman year, Diles had a team-high 11 tackles.

He posted a career high 12 tackles in a head-to-head duel with McKenzie, who was at Iowa State for one year, and also recorded two tackles for loss and two sacks. McKenzie, by the way, had 11 tackles, a forced fumble and a pass breakup in the Cyclones’ 31-10 loss at K-State.  Against Texas, Diles matched his career high with 12 tackles in K-State’s 45-42 upset, which derailed the Longhorns’ national title hopes.

With the Texans, Diles has played all three linebacker spots, although he has had his most success playing Will linebacker. Diles has started 22 out of the last 31 games he has played in for Houston and has recorded 223 tackles, three forced fumbles, one sack, one safety and one interception. Not eye-popping numbers, but a lack of great stats hasn’t stopped the Bucs from acquiring defensive players like Crowder, Magee and Bennett.

Like Hayward, Diles brings position flexibility to the linebacking corps, in addition to improved size, which rivals McKenzie. McKenzie has the benefit of working with Morris in practice the last two months of the season running the scout team, and Diles has a year’s worth of experience with Morris from their days together at K-State in 2006. These two players, plus a middle linebacker acquired through the draft, should allow the Bucs to move on from Ruud, who just isn’t going to get big-time money from Dominik in Tampa Bay.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=6777:srs-fab-5-3/2

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #35 : September 04, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »

Diles is a below-average player. He has made 8 "splash" plays in his entire career. Splash play being a FF, INT, sack, or pass defensed. Compare that to Hayes who has made 24 in just 2 years as a starter.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #36 : September 04, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »

I have a feeling I'll always wonder what really happened with McKenzie.

I never saw anything from McKenzie leading me to believe he was all that good. That's likely what happened.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BucD

Hall of Famer

« #37 : September 04, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »

He's just depth at the position...nothing more...

ST and a "...just in case" guy.  Next.

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #38 : September 04, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »

Honestly he seems like the Texans version of Geno Hayes....except slower. Coaches seem to be high on him and talk about his potential, but he never seems to reach it. Looks bad on gap assignments and tackling. Can't say I agree with cutting McKenzie for this dude. Just don't get it. I have a feeling I'll always wonder what really happened with McKenzie.

Geno is far away a better player than Diles. Not even close.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

« #39 : September 04, 2011, 02:57:16 PM »

He's depth. Chill out.

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #40 : September 04, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

He's depth. Chill out.

He's bad depth. We have 2 reserve linebackers. Diles is going to play for us, and that is a concern to me.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #41 : September 04, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »

He's depth. Chill out.

He's bad depth. We have 2 reserve linebackers. Diles is going to play for us, and that is a concern to me.
Yea, special team.

As for LB, Morris seems to be the one coach who's gotten the most out of him so if he does get on the field as a LB, I trust Morris knows what he's doing.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

JohnGruden

Starter

« #42 : September 04, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »

I like the pickup, gives us some more depth at LB. I believe he was the captain of Rahs defense at KSU.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

« #43 : September 04, 2011, 03:10:48 PM »

Hayward is the back up Mike.

Although they have to "list" Heyward in some way, he has backed up all 3 LB popsitions, and started some when needed.

Back on topic...  Sorry.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

« #44 : September 04, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »

He's depth. Chill out.

He's got starting experience and can tackle, not bad depth to me. It's a solid move, nothing to be pumped over, but nothing to cry and complain about. But it seems like Bucs fans will cry over anything that happens with the team.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs grab Zac Diles « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools