Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs may be only Week 1 blackout « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : September 06, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »

Bucs may be only Week 1 blackout
Source:   PFT
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have all but thrown in the towel on selling enough tickets to avoid a local television blackout of their Week 1 home game against the Lions. But while the Bucs’ game will be blacked out, the NFL is close to having every other Week 1 game on local TV.

In Jacksonville, the Jaguars are still 7,000 tickets away from a sellout, which would appear to make a Week 1 blackout likely. But Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union reports that the Jaguars plan to lift the blackout for the opener, presumably meaning they’ll take advantage of the NFL rule that allows the team to buy each unsold ticket at 34 percent of face value. So even though the Jaguars will be playing in front of thousands of empty seats, they’ll also be playing in front of local fans watching from home.

The Chargers announced today that 1,800 general tickets remain unsold for their game on Sunday. That’s close enough that they’ll likely manage to sell out before the blackout deadline, or at least find a corporate sponsor willing to pick up whatever unsold tickets remain.

The Dolphins haven’t sold out Week 1 against the Patriots yet, but they’re expected to get the blackout lifted for their Monday Night Football opener. Week 2 is another story, however: That game is likely to be blacked out in Miami.

In St. Louis, only about 700 to 800 tickets remain for the Rams’ opener against the Eagles, and a sellout appears likely.

Many teams have already sold out Week 1, and the rest of the teams opening at home appear to be in good shape when it comes to ticket sales. So it’s looking like the only Week 1 blackout will be in Tampa Bay. In a lousy economy and after an offseason in which the lockout disrupted ticket sales, the NFL will take that.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : September 06, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »

In a lousy economy and after an offseason in which the lockout disrupted ticket sales, the NFL will take that.[/size]

It's not the economy - it's the lousy fanbase, according to several posters here.

Move the team already.....give LA a third chance to support an NFL team.

smove28

Starter

« #2 : September 06, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »

Sweet, soon I won't have to fly to Tampa to see my Bucs play twice a year. Welcome to Los Angeles, Mr. Freeman

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #3 : September 06, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »

Team's not moving but the fanbase is pathetic.

The majority would rather makes excuses as why they don't go to the games rather than support a young, exciting team on the rise. Then when a game gets moved to London and will be shown on TV they complain it was moved to London. Jeez don't get me started on our pathetic fanbase, the economy is understandable but it's just another excuse, as the economy is hard everywhere. Our fanbase just lacks passion, it's just a joke.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

csidedave

Second String
« #4 : September 06, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »

Later in the article the writer states "By a back-of-the-envelope estimate of 10,000 tickets at $100 each, it would cost the Buccaneers $340,000 to lift the blackout."  That is exactly what the problem is; 10,000 seats at an average of $100 each.  That price is not going to work.  Prices in the stadium-save for the $35 seats-are simply 30% too high.  When the stadium was sold out, the Bucs never got those prices because the season ticket holders were paying significantly less.

smove28

Starter

« #5 : September 06, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

The funny thing is that the Tampa fanbase really think the Bucs won't move. That is what is leading to the apathy. There are a hundred ways a team can move. Fanbase apathy is number one on the list. But matters not, I love the Bucs and soon I will be able to see them a lot more often in LA or in Anaheim

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 06, 2011, 08:30:38 PM »

You'd think the Bucs would pay out the $340,000 once in awhile as it seems to improve the teams' image and promote interest in the team by broadcasting locally. They could give away the tickets to economically-challenged folks in the area.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 06, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »

The funny thing is that the Tampa fanbase really think the Bucs won't move. That is what is leading to the apathy. There are a hundred ways a team can move. Fanbase apathy is number one on the list. But matters not, I love the Bucs and soon I will be able to see them a lot more often in LA or in Anaheim

In your dreams bud.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #8 : September 06, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »

Bucs aren't moving because of their sweet stadium deal and how profitable the team is. Stadium doesn't need to be sold out for the Glazers to turn a huge profit. Besides the NFL would not let Tampa Bay be without a team especially at how successful the region has been in hosting Super Bowls. How many teams have come and gone from L.A.? I understand the NFl wants the TV money from L.A. but it's almost bad as a sports town as Tampa.

If/when the economy improves let's see how the attendance does...

No way this team moves in the timeframe that the NFL wants a team in L.A. by. Now if the attendance doesn't improve once the economy improves I could understand the team moving, as I've long said this market is PATHETIC when it comes to supporting teams. Once the economy improves the "Casual Fan" will have no excuses to not go to games. I'd say the Bucs are a canidate to move to London more so than L.A.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #9 : September 06, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »

Bucs will not be moving to LA so stop your wishing.. no team should move to the crap hole LA unless u want to get shot rapped on your way to an NFL game.  So if that how you feel about your so called team wanting them to move I don't feel your much of a fan. I hope its some other team that moves there so you will become a fan of that team rather than the bucs

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 06, 2011, 08:39:35 PM »

Or how about this.....the constant threat of moving is increasing the apathy.

smove28

Starter

« #11 : September 06, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »

Bucs will not be moving to LA so stop your wishing.. no team should move to the crap hole LA unless u want to get shot rapped on your way to an NFL game.  So if that how you feel about your so called team wanting them to move I don't feel your much of a fan. I hope its some other team that moves there so you will become a fan of that team rather than the bucs

Because I am a fan I am not going to argue with another fan, but until you fly to your city twice a year from LA to see your favorite team then talk to me. All I see is complaining about the Glazers spending money out of their pocket so people can see the team for free. I've been blessed enough to be able to do that, but stop crying broke everyone. I know plenty of strippers with nice houses down there so save some of those ones and buy a friggin ticket, either way I would love less of a commute to see my Bucs and I will thank the Tampa area for making it possible when they come to LA

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 06, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »

ok bud keep on trollin

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 06, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »

This is Tampa's team and always will be...the blackouts won't last forever.

To anyone who wants the team to move, I say keep walking...I've never even BEEN to a bucs game, but I want to be at one...I love this franchise and I have faith that it WILL get the fans back. Call me an optimist, but I believe in this team...I just can feel it. I refuse to give up and just believe we would throw everything the team has done here AWAY. After Selmon's passing, no way will I give up on this town that easy!
« : September 06, 2011, 08:59:47 PM Beatles123 »

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
« #14 : September 06, 2011, 08:55:55 PM »

The situation in Miami is more pathetic.

Miami, a much bigger population, much wealthier, playing the division rival and elite team, the Patriots, on a Monday night game and still no sell-out.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs may be only Week 1 blackout « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools