Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reality check: The Bucs were not that good last year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

: September 07, 2011, 04:16:56 AM

I found this post on the Lions site with a link to the original article.   

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6934823/grantland-mega-nfl-preview-part-ii

Reality check: The Bucs were not that good last year

The Bucs finished the 2010 season with wins over Seattle and New Orleans.  Neither team had anything to play for when they took on Tampa. Take away those two wins and you're left with an 8-6 team that was outscored by 10 points despite facing one of the easiest schedules a team could imagine.

The Bucs' eight other wins came against teams that were a combined 37-91 on the season.
That's roughly akin to beating the Bills eight times. Even with that easy schedule, they weren't exactly stomping their weak competition. They started the season by going 4-0 in games decided by a touchdown or less. They went 4-0 against the NFC West, beat the 2-14 Panthers twice, picked up two wins against the weak sisters of the AFC North, the Bengals and Browns, and had a one-point victory over the Redskins that was sealed when Washington missed a game-tying extra point with six seconds left.

Outside of the win against the semi-Saints, they were 0-5 against teams with winning records and were outscored by a total of 67 points in those five games. The Bucs were one of eight teams in 2010 to play just six games against teams with a .500 record or better. Six of those eight teams that got to play such an easy schedule won 10 or more games. And from 1994 to 2009, 36 teams played a schedule that had only six .500-or-better teams on the slate. They won an average of 10.4 games that year. In the following season, they won an average of just 7.6 games. After getting to play the AFC North and NFC West last season, the Buccaneers will have to face the NFC North and AFC South this season.

There are reasons to believe that the Buccaneers might be able to avoid the downswing. They played well in two narrow losses to the Falcons and lost to the Ravens on the road by only one score. The second half of their season was marked by a series of season-ending injuries to key players, including star cornerback Aqib Talib and the third overall pick in the 2010 draft, Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. The McCoy injury was part of the reason why the Bucs allowed 4.7 yards per carry on the ground, the second-worst rate in the league. Talib also managed to duck a suspension for his offseason arrest on felony assault charges. The Buccaneers will sport one of the league's youngest lineups for the second season in a row, with the distinct possibility that at least 18 of their 22 starters on offense and defense will be 28 or younger heading into the season. Josh Freeman looks to be the best quarterback out of the 2009 draft through two seasons, although the miraculous drop in his interception rate (from 6.2 percent as a rookie to 1.3 percent last season) has no hope of sticking. The Bucs are one year away from really emerging as a serious contender in the NFC West, but they're going to struggle to hit .500 this year.

Best-case scenario: Freeman takes another leap forward and becomes the best quarterback in the division, a healthy defense finally starts to stop the run, and Tampa heads into the playoffs as an emerging dynasty in the NFC South.

Worst-case scenario: Freeman's interception rate goes north of 3 percent, Talib gets arrested again and goes the way of Pacman Jones, and a tougher schedule pushes the Bucs back to 5-11.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 07, 2011, 04:46:18 AM

You are a scumbag. Piss pff, stop being a **CENSORED** ass troll, and go **CENSORED** yourself.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 07, 2011, 04:46:33 AM

I like the best case scenario.

Critics can point to the quality of competition all day long but the Bucs won those games and didn't lose them. They were a young team from coach down and had every excuse to lose but they didn't.

They will lose games this season and win some but they will compete and that makes watching them all the better.

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 07, 2011, 04:49:09 AM

Java, dude, you are a loser.  I hate your guts.  You are no better than the people you claim to hate.  You have pigeonholed yourself into this corner, and for that, I do not pity, nor empathize with you.  You are a dinosaur, extinct.  I hope the PR bans you before the regular season starts.  I would glady smack you across the mouth for being such a **CENSORED**.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 07, 2011, 04:49:55 AM

Hey, calm down.   I didn't write the article.   Blame that guy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 07, 2011, 04:50:34 AM

Way to delete your post **CENSORED**.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 07, 2011, 04:53:36 AM

Bucs won 10 games last year, and you have been handed your plate more than once.  You no nothing about football, you are a blatant racist scumbag, and your numerous accounts show how much of a coward you are.  Just do us a favor and crawl into a corner and perish.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 07, 2011, 04:53:50 AM

You are complaining about me deleting my "Hey, calm down.   I didn't write the article.   Blame that guy." post?   LOL!   I only deleted it to edit it.   I posted the exact same thing again just above your "Way to delete your post" comment.    I don't see where that post makes much difference anyway.    Just drink your prune juice and go back to bed.   You'll feel better in the morning.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 07, 2011, 05:03:21 AM

Funny the Seahawks actually did and it was called a playoff spot....Also the Saints were playing for a first round bye at that point.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 07, 2011, 05:07:40 AM

the Saints were playing for a first round bye at that point.

Had the Saints won or lost that game, it wouldn't have affected their playoff status.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 07, 2011, 05:11:08 AM

the Saints were playing for a first round bye at that point.

Had the Saints won or lost that game, it wouldn't have affected their playoff status.
So what about the Seahawks then? The same team that stomped the Saints in the playoffs.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 07, 2011, 05:11:44 AM

Not really useful comparing the season as a whole. The Bucs at midseason and at the end of the year were completely different teams. If the Bucs from December show up, with rookies making big strides, and having all the injured players back, the Bucs are a good team.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 07, 2011, 05:20:35 AM

Not really useful comparing the season as a whole. The Bucs at the beginning of the season, midseason and at the end of the year were completely different teams. If the Bucs from December show up, with rookies making big strides, and having all the injured players back, the Bucs are a good team.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 07, 2011, 07:17:21 AM

You're really starting to embarrass yourself, Boid.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 07, 2011, 07:20:36 AM

I hate how people try to use the arguement that Seahawks and Saints had nothing to play for. Seahawks had the chance to lock up their division if they would of won against us and the Saints played thier starters the first half until the game was out of reach. If the Saints win that game they get home field advantage and never lose against the Seahawks in the first preseason game.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reality check: The Bucs were not that good last year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools