Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reality check: The Bucs were not that good last year « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

cncfreak

Rookie

#60 : September 08, 2011, 12:21:40 PM

Last year was about progression.

The Bucs made great strides. 

Oh and stats are for losers.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#61 : September 08, 2011, 12:22:40 PM

And not a single win against a team with a winning record.

It's a shame that we havent' done much against good teams but you do harp on it a lot.  They were a young team that was obviously better than anyone thought they'd be so from that standpoint it was a successful season.  I do agree with you about the Bucs not being that good, when it comes to unrealistic, homerish expectations that many fans seem to have for the Bucs this year.  If the Bucs play above a 9-7 record (as PR predicts) I think it shows as much growth and improvement from this young team as there was last year.  Its not completely out of the realm of possibilites but I think much less likely than winning 8 or 9 games.  The truth is the Bucs really weren't all that good last season compared with other truly good teams.  Still any Buc fan should be pleased with what they saw. 
: September 08, 2011, 12:24:38 PM jbear

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#62 : September 08, 2011, 12:25:55 PM

And not a single win against a team with a winning record.

It's a shame that we havent' done much against good teams but you do harp on it a lot.  They were a young team that was obviously better than anyone thought they'd be so from that standpoint it was a successful season.  I do agree with you about the Bucs not being that good, when it comes to unrealistic, homerish expectations that many fans seem to have for the Bucs this year.  If the Bucs play above a 9-7 record (as PR predicts) I think it shows as much growth and improvement from this young team as there was last year.  Its not completely out of the realm of possibilites but I think much less likely than winning 8 or 9 games.  The truth is the Bucs really weren't all that good last season compared with other truly good teams.  But any fan should be pleased with what they saw.

I think any fan with two working eyes or even one could see that the Bucs werent an elite team last year. They are a young team on the rise. Not many expected them to win 10 games and they did it. Now its a new season so they have to keep working and getting better. They have to in this league or you lose your job.

Ron Swanson

Starter

#63 : September 08, 2011, 12:32:23 PM

what is the best argument for how good/bad we will play this year? how good or bad we play this year. yes i suppose it's fun to debate whether last year was a fluke or if we really deserved to be 10-6 (i believe we did, because we won those games, so we deserved it). but mostly it comes down to each game this year. the season will be different, opponents will play differently, our players will play differently, what sports seems to show in many sports it depends on talent, momentum, effort, injuries, and luck. hopefully we have all but one of those (injuries, knock on wood) inherent in our team.

that said, we are mostly all bucs fans here right? so lets just get pumped and excited for some football, and when this years bucs have some games under their belts, then we can surmise where the team is headed for the year. Go bucs!

\"When I eat it is the food that is scared.\" -R.S.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#64 : September 09, 2011, 01:13:24 AM

Furthermore, if the schedule was so easy...why were the Panthers 2-14?

Because they were the worst of the worst.   Don't forget, the Bucs got the play the Panthers twice...

Yes, the Bucs were better than the Panthers last year.    I will give them that.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#65 : September 09, 2011, 08:22:12 AM

First of all, the Saints had something to play for. As some here have mentioned, if they won and the Panthers beat the Falcons, they win the division. Obviously not likely, but any given Sunday. More importantly, they had the chance to knock us out of the playoffs. The Bears tried doing this against the Packers by keeping their starters in the entire game, and the end results of the season shows exactly why.

The Saints recognized the importance of being able to knock a division rival out of the playoffs too, and their approach to the game reflected that. While they author mentioned the Saints sitting players due to injuries, he didn't mention the extent of those injuries. Furthermore, he left out a very key fact to that game...the Saints got beat up and still kept their starters in for almost the entire game. Early on Blount ran over Malcolm Jenkins and knocked him out of that game and the next. Surely this would convince a team who didn't care to pull their starters, right? No? How about their leading rusher Chris Ivory injuring his ankle and also being knocked out of the playoffs as well? That, surely, would do it right? Nope. They kept their starters in, including Brees, until the game was out of hand and it was clear the Bucs had it won.

That doesn't sound like a team that didn't care to me.

They were playing just enough to see if the Kiittes were gonna win but really, no one even on NO thought they would and they played like it. I know we need to fee good about ourselves and believe the Saints cared but they didn't. We didn't beat a team with a winning record who cared about a game. Period. Lie to yourself if you must but it really in the end doesn't matter. We won 10 games with a band of rookies and second year players leading the way. Even if we didn't beat a team with a winning record we shouldn't have sniffed a winning record of our own with that roster we had. The fact that we did and the fact that players that young should get better should be your hope but some fake "Really, the saints cared" type argument which is weak.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

buddah

Starter
#66 : September 09, 2011, 10:50:22 AM

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.  Maybe; maybe not.  Who cares?  So, the consensus seems to be that our victories last year weren't worth much because of the competition.  We would never have beaten new orleans. But of course we beat new orleans in their Super Bowl winning year and rather easily.  But of course they weren't trying in that game either.  And I guess the Packers weren't either.  The fact is that Freeman keeps you in every game--he's that dangerous.  The games we won, we won with a superior QB to the opposition.  In every other way, the opposition had better personnel on the field (largely due to an large and unusual number of injuries).  It could be argued that our personnel last year was no better than Carolina's and our schedule was nearly identical.  So why did they win 2 and we win 10?  The quarterback and the coaching!!!  This is the NFL. Aside from experience, there isn't much difference between the elite teams and the 6-10 teams.  As for the schedule this year.  I don't see it as any tougher than last year.  Indy, Jacksonville, and Tennessee are on the decline and Houston always looks on the verge (and we play them at home).  The Bears and Vikings are certainly winnable games and I'll be shocked if we don't win at least one against Atlanta.  It's just really tough to beat a division opponent seven straight times. I haven't been able to figure out why so many people think this schedule is so tough.  As for Detroit being the ultimate test, that's a crock.  It should be a close, tough game, but if we lose it, I'm not throwing in the towel.  And by the way, what has Mathew Stafford proved.  The Lions have never won a game he's started on the road.  They have a good defensive line and good receivers.  Suh did nothing ion the game against us last year.  As far as Las Vegas is concerned, they deal with public perception.  They had us at 6 wins last year and we won 10.  They had Dallas at 11 and they won 6.  The public teams are always set higher.  I'm not making any predictions.  I'm rooting for a good season because I'm a Buc's fan.  See me after 8 games and I'll tell you where this team is likely to be.  In fact, see me after the Atlanta game at home.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#67 : September 09, 2011, 11:04:03 AM

Furthermore, if the schedule was so easy...why were the Panthers 2-14?

Because they were the worst of the worst.   Don't forget, the Bucs got the play the Panthers twice...

Yes, the Bucs were better than the Panthers last year.    I will give them that.

Com on.... The Bucs were better than a lot of teams last year and certainly way better than anyone thought possible at the start of the year.  This harping on the fact we didn't beat a team with a winning record is ignoring the fact we beat everybody we had a chance against.  Definately not something we could have done the year before.  If that doesn't show you the arrow is pointing up right now, I don't know what will.  I'm hoping for the team to get better, maybe beat somebody with a pulse this year, and get to a point where maybe they are a really good team.  If you think they're gonna take a step back this year, you're entitled to your opinion but until we start loosing games or even looking bad in games you really don't have much to go on.  Last season was a success by any standard. 

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#68 : September 09, 2011, 03:03:50 PM

Ya the Bucs were better than a lot of teams. They were also riding high at the end of the season. I dont think there would have been many that would have wanted to play us if we would have gotten into the postseason. A lot of confidence and positive momentum heading into the end of the season. It just wasnt enough. Lets hope they get some revenge this weekend. I know there are plenty of Bucs that havent let that game last year escape their minds.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Reality check: The Bucs were not that good last year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools