Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris And Olson Play Calling Discussion Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

mrchillwill

Pro Bowler

#30 : September 11, 2011, 05:56:18 PM

This is how it was last year, Free never got going until the tempo picked up and the no huddle was utilized more. Either he or the coaches need to prepare him better to start the game, or just Green Bay that **CENSORED** and let it fly from the 1st QTR to the 4th.

agreed i think we should, we have the receivers to do it.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 11, 2011, 06:03:14 PM

Sorry, his element should just being on the football field. It is a good thing to be able to step in up in pressure situations, but not when that is the only time you do anything. Freeman needs to get his head out of his butt in the 1st quarter.

Let's see what happened on Freeman's passes in the first quarter:

Pass for 5 yards. That works.
Sacked. Was almost immediately under pressure.

Incomplete to Williams. Don't remember this one off the top of my head.
3 yard pass to Graham. Was also rushed on this play, iirc.

He attempted a grand total of 4 passes. At what point was he supposed to light it up in the first half, exactly? On the first drive he completed a nice pass and then was getting sacked with no time to throw. On the second drive there was one incompletion and one short pass on 3rd and 10 because the play had no time to develop. On both drives there was a run for no yards because our offensive line is abysmal, and both of those useless plays put a lot of pressure on Freeman.

Freeman wasn't great today, but he wasn't the one to blame for the slow start. Terrible blocking and playcalling was the problem, as well as the defense letting the Lions have the ball for too long.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#32 : September 11, 2011, 06:07:23 PM

I never bagged on Olson once in the past, but......Freeman looks dazed and confused and that is on Olson IMO.   He never gets into tempo except in the no huddle.
then OIson needs to put him in position to succeed

That was my point.    Them two are not syncing up at all.   We all know Free is not going anywhere.   So its on Olsons shoulders IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

freddy

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 11, 2011, 06:09:43 PM

come on nubcake, like so many have said about the O-line, it's not like he hasn't played like that before. In fact, it is exactly how Freeman has played the vast majority of the time, slow at first then a lot better in Q4. BTW the blocking was just as terrible in Q4 as it was in Q1, so no excuse there either.

delanno25

Second String
#34 : September 11, 2011, 06:11:17 PM

They need to take the training wheels off of him and let him play. He seems like he's being so controlled out there compared to other young rising QBs.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#35 : September 11, 2011, 06:12:19 PM

come on nubcake, like so many have said about the O-line, it's not like he hasn't played like that before. In fact, it is exactly how Freeman has played the vast majority of the time, slow at first then a lot better in Q4. BTW the blocking was just as terrible in Q4 as it was in Q1, so no excuse there either.

But in Q4 we did nothing but pass the entire time, so we didn't have to deal with rushes for no gain ruining drives(other than the 4th and 1 attempt which did indeed ruin a drive). And yes he has played like that before, I wasn't arguing that. I was arguing that today it wasn't a factor, and the analysis of his 4 passes proves that.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#36 : September 11, 2011, 06:12:55 PM

They need to take the training wheels off of him and let him play. He seems like he's being so controlled out there compared to other young rising QBs.

And who's fault is that? Olsen or Morris? This seems like such a repeat of Dungy and CC.

smove28

Starter

#37 : September 11, 2011, 06:13:56 PM

Sorry, his element should just being on the football field. It is a good thing to be able to step in up in pressure situations, but not when that is the only time you do anything. Freeman needs to get his head out of his butt in the 1st quarter.

Let's see what happened on Freeman's passes in the first quarter:

Pass for 5 yards. That works.
Sacked. Was almost immediately under pressure.

Incomplete to Williams. Don't remember this one off the top of my head.
3 yard pass to Graham. Was also rushed on this play, iirc.

He attempted a grand total of 4 passes. At what point was he supposed to light it up in the first half, exactly? On the first drive he completed a nice pass and then was getting sacked with no time to throw. On the second drive there was one incompletion and one short pass on 3rd and 10 because the play had no time to develop. On both drives there was a run for no yards because our offensive line is abysmal, and both of those useless plays put a lot of pressure on Freeman.

Freeman wasn't great today, but he wasn't the one to blame for the slow start. Terrible blocking and playcalling was the problem, as well as the defense letting the Lions have the ball for too long.

Please put these in context before you use them as examples, one was a dropped pass and another one was on third and 7 which bad playcalling got us into. None of these passes were thrown in a hurry=up spread offense situation.

Now we can continue the conversation.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 11, 2011, 06:16:12 PM

what makes you guys think the "training wheels" are on freeman?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

freddy

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 11, 2011, 06:18:12 PM

what makes you guys think the "training wheels" are on freeman?

Good point, maybe it's just being hopeful because if the training wheels are off Freeman and he still plays like this, ugg.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 11, 2011, 06:26:45 PM

I think Freeman is still too concerned about throwing picks. I expected Williams and Benn to get more separation too. They have pretty much the worse corners we'll see all year and there really didn't seem to be that many open opportunities in the few times Freeman got time.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : September 11, 2011, 06:27:45 PM

Olson though is badly limited in what he can do when you can't run. The Lions weren't dominant on the ground but at least squeezed enough out of the run game to have it help their cause. Olson can't get that sort of help. We tried to run a quick hitter off the highly paid right side of the line and that didn't work in short yadrage. The sprint draw is something I hate on short yardage but since we can't push guys off the line you try something else.

Where Olson and Freeman didn't do their job was in the TD drive . That drive had no urgency and took way, way too long as we played Jon Gruden dink n' dunk all down the field and then didn't seem to move with much speed after all those short gains.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 11, 2011, 06:28:46 PM

Offense certainly needs work. Its only week 1. It wont stay like this all year. Not with that talent we have.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 11, 2011, 06:29:47 PM

I think they just need to jell again. Its week one. Not much time together. What has it been a month??

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 11, 2011, 06:31:15 PM

Lions had no problem gelling in that time. Cam Newton looks prepared although he's only had a month experience in the NFL compared to 3 offseasons for Freeman.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris And Olson Play Calling Discussion Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools