Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs offensive coordinator Olson suggests Freeman, others lost their 'swagger' « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« : September 12, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »

Bucs offensive coordinator Olson suggests Freeman, others lost their 'swagger'

Bucs coach Raheem Morris said some of his players blinked in Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Detroit Lions.  Offensive coordinator Greg Olson indicated quarterback Josh Freeman and others lost their 'swagger.'

Whatever the reason, the Bucs did not look like a confident team in Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Detroit Lions.

"There was just a different feeling on the sideline a little bit,'' Olson said Monday. "That’s why I come back to that swagger. There’s no reason for this team to blink, you guys are a good football team and believe that. Tha's what our message is for our players. There’s no reason for anyone on this team to blink. You were a 10-6 football team, you won a lot of big games last year. You’re playing against a good football team, certainly, the Lions, but you’re a good football team yourself so there’s no reason for anybody on this team to blink and be in an “Oh, no,’’ mode. We’ll be fine. Just settle down, take a deep breath and play football.’’

Olson said he was concerned that Freeman had to leave the game in the third quarter suffering from dehydration. Freeman returned after receiving intravenous fluids, but Olson suggested it might have been related to anxiety.
“That was definitely a concern coming out, so we’ve got to look at what he’s doing to hydrate his body early in the week,'' Olson said. "For me, seeing that, I thought that was very early for him. Part of that, I think, is lessening the anxiety of our players and developing that swagger that hey, there’s no need for any of us to be nervous out here, you guys are a second-year group now, some of us have been playing together for three or four years. So let’s develop that offensive swagger and make sure everybody knows what they’re doing and go out there and play with a swagger.''

Olson cited one example of Freeman's lack of confidence in his receivers on the Bucs' first poseession Sunday. After Sammie Stroughter returned a kickoff 78 yards, the Bucs faced third-and-5 from the Detroit 16-yard line. The Lions were in man-to-man coverage, but Freeman did not give receiver Mike Williams a chance to make a play and wound up taking a sack for a 4-yard loss, forcing the Bucs to settle for a field goal.

"In that situation, you’re expecting man coverage from Detroit which is what we got and now it’s just a matter of executing it and having, to me, confidence between a quarterback and wide receiver knowing here’s the man beaters, this is the guy I’m going to go to and I’m going to trust that he’s going to make a play on the ball,'' Olson said. "We’ve got to develop that swagger as a unit, as skilled players and quarterbacks, that hey, if they’ve got their guy on the other side of the field, if he’s one-on-one, the ball is going to him. And that’s the way it’s got to be with you Mike (Williams), and you Kellen (Winslow) and you Regis (Benn), you’re one-on-one, the ball is going to come to you, you have to win and Josh will have that confidence to throw the ball to you and know you’re going to make a play for him.''

source: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/bucs-offensive-coordinator-olson-suggests-freeman-others-lost-their-swagger

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 12, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

Dont know why. They finished last season great. They should have came out yesterday with guns blazing.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #2 : September 12, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »

Bull. I think Free has a lot of confidence...the O and Olson just never let  him AIR OUT A DEEP PASS!

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

traew01

Pro Bowler

« #3 : September 12, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »

Olson.... please, take that finger, turn it completely in a 180 degree half circle, and it will be pointing at the guy who shows no swagger. Your play-calling is horrible.

Until you suck less.... you should not say a word about your players.

I cannot believe both the offensive and defensive coordinators of this team are out publicly calling out their own players when their schemes were absolutely TERRIBLE. Unreal. If things do not improve quickly, this is all going to go horribly wrong.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 12, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »

I'm not really buying that Olson never called any plays with deep routes.

I thought Freeman looked **CENSORED**y in the pocket and reverted to some of his bad footwork and conservative approach.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 12, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »

I thought Freeman looked **CENSORED**y in the pocket and reverted to some of his bad footwork and conservative approach.

I said it elsewhere, Freeman looks like he is feeling phantom pressure b/c he doesn't trust the OL

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 12, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

^ that. Josh has simply not felt comfortable in that pocket. He was scrambling a lot yesterday from what I could tell via the radio.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

britbuc14

Starter

« #7 : September 12, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »

i suggest Olson lost his playbook and called it on the fly.

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #8 : September 12, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »

I said it elsewhere, Freeman looks like he is feeling phantom pressure b/c he doesn't trust the OL

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner. When a QB doesn't feel comfortable he makes bad decisions and forces throws. The playcalling was good last year by Olsen, I just think Freeman knows his OL sucks and is anticipating the pressure before it even arrives.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 12, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »

Well you lose swagger when stuff doesn't work and you are getting maimed at the point of attack like we were.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mattyd1521

Second String
« #10 : September 12, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »

Olson.... please, take that finger, turn it completely in a 180 degree half circle, and it will be pointing at the guy who shows no swagger. Your play-calling is horrible.

Until you suck less.... you should not say a word about your players.

I cannot believe both the offensive and defensive coordinators of this team are out publicly calling out their own players when their schemes were absolutely TERRIBLE. Unreal. If things do not improve quickly, this is all going to go horribly wrong.
I am surprised to see Olson make that comment about Freeman. I'm sure it is to challenge the team to make them play better but there the play calling was questionable.
« : September 12, 2011, 05:49:12 PM mattyd1521 »

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 12, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »

Funny how 4 years ago people criticized Garcia for having happy feet, too. One thing remains constant - the offensive line.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

traew01

Pro Bowler

« #12 : September 12, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »

Let me take a look at Greg Olson's swagger.....

He comes out in the second half and tries to run an up tempo attack. Freeman completes a 9 yard pass. Which gives us 2nd and 1. Second and 1 is one of the greatest passing downs - and instead he runs a draw play to Graham right into the heart of the Lions D line. It gets stuffed.

Then Olson says "oh crap" - I better slow things down a little and come up with a play to get that one yard. They huddle up, and then decide to run Graham....guess where? Right into the Lions' biggest strength - the interior of their line.

Did the same thing earlier on 4th down - ran it right into the Lions interior line.

The guy has no clue.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 12, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »

So Olson blames the players instead of himself?

He's going to lose the team if he keeps that up. And then that's how the wheels fall off.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #14 : September 12, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »

Because the BUcs Oline, collectively as a UNIT, which is how they usually thrive, looked like crap, and HAS looked like crap, for a long while.

There is a whole lot of denial going on.

They cannot effectively run block in close.  They cannot effectively pass block from down to down.

It is a hot mess.  ALL of them are terrible.  Time to blow it up.  It has been long enough.

You can polish a turd all day long, even put a nice sheen on it with some effort and paint, but in the end, it is still worthless.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs offensive coordinator Olson suggests Freeman, others lost their 'swagger' « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools