Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was the Lions O Line Illegal All Day? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DLF54927

Practice Squad

#15 : September 13, 2011, 12:02:41 PM

Watch the Packers/Saints highlights.

This is nothing new.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 13, 2011, 12:14:10 PM

Didn't we get called on something like this in preseason? Guard to deep and was off the line of scrimmage. Actually maybe the guard being to deep forced the tackle off the line of scrimmage...

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 13, 2011, 12:14:16 PM

Teams do get called for OT being too far off the line.  Seems to be a judgement call by refs

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 13, 2011, 12:20:03 PM

I guess my question would be what would make anyone think the worst pass rushing defensive line in 2010 would have done anything differently if Detroit was lined up right?
NOIB...  Isn't the question rather silly?  But I WILL answer it for ya...

They wouldn't have to take TWO steps to engage their offensive line blockers.  That "extra step" can mean all the difference in the world to interior defensive line rushers.

"The offense should have seven players "at the line of scrimmage", but only the center may be within the neutral zone, leaving four players that must be at least ony yard from the line of scrimmage."

The Lions clearly had their guards aligning roughly a yard deep...

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 13, 2011, 12:23:49 PM

Going back and watching highlights they did have their players all lined up a yard out or deeper. Oh well nothing that can be done about it now.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 13, 2011, 12:30:49 PM

The helmet has to be within the snapper's beltline.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 13, 2011, 12:42:17 PM

Going back and watching highlights they did have their players all lined up a yard out or deeper. Oh well nothing that can be done about it now.

Yeah from here: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011091106/2011/REG1/lions@buccaneers#menu=highlights&tab=recap first

You can look and see how they are aligned.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 13, 2011, 12:47:11 PM

legal

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 13, 2011, 12:49:11 PM

Digest of Rules Main

Position of Players at Snap
Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.
Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)
No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.
No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.
No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.
If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.
All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).
After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.
Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.
Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

These are what is written in the NFL.com's website.
: September 13, 2011, 12:51:30 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 13, 2011, 01:00:38 PM

This from the official rules:

if he is a non-snapper, he is not more than one foot behind the neutral zone at the
snap. (For a non-snapper to be on the line of scrimmage, the guideline officials will
use is that his helmet must break a vertical plane that would pass through the beltline
of the snapper.)

Based on the helmet through the beltline guideline....clearly legal. Once again...different...not illegal.

The Shadow

Starter

#25 : September 13, 2011, 01:01:06 PM

It's a judgement call by the Line Judge. Trueblood was called for being too far back in the preseason. All crews seem to differ a bit. Sometimes they call it and sometimes they don't. In the end it's a 5 yard penalty but it would have forced the Guards up about a foot. One thing bugs me though and that's the fact that being back shouldn't help on running plays. If it was only on passing plays, it should have been a huge tip to the defense that they clearly never took advantage of.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 13, 2011, 01:05:11 PM

It's a judgement call by the Line Judge. Trueblood was called for being too far back in the preseason. All crews seem to differ a bit. Sometimes they call it and sometimes they don't. In the end it's a 5 yard penalty but it would have forced the Guards up about a foot. One thing bugs me though and that's the fact that being back shouldn't help on running plays. If it was only on passing plays, it should have been a huge tip to the defense that they clearly never took advantage of.

This kind of says it all. Tackles tend to get called for it on occasion but they are usually way back. The guards do seem to be within the guidelines in the first place, other teams do the same, other teams deal with it. we're whining about it.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 13, 2011, 01:06:59 PM

legal

They are set way, way back. They're in a 2 point stance which makes them look even farther back on top of that. If they are legal that is the deepest legal alignment for interior linemen I've ever seen.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#28 : September 13, 2011, 01:16:16 PM

You tell me how this is 7 men on the line of scrimmage? I only see 2.

DLF54927

Practice Squad

#29 : September 13, 2011, 01:26:58 PM

Does it look much different than these? McCoy better get used to it.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was the Lions O Line Illegal All Day? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools