Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was the Lions O Line Illegal All Day? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 13, 2011, 01:35:42 PM

great pics

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 13, 2011, 01:36:01 PM

You tell me how this is 7 men on the line of scrimmage? I only see 2.

Does it look much different than these? McCoy better get used to it.

It does actually, in that the Lions Guards are lined up deeper than their Tackles which isn't the case in either of your photos. Also in your photos 2 WR's are lined up on the line of scrimmage. In the Lions alignment the TE should have at least been even with the tackle. He is 2.5 yards off the line of scrimmage and the WR at the top of the screen is 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Even without considering the guards, the alignment the Lions were in should have clearly been flagged and it just one example from the game.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#32 : September 13, 2011, 01:41:40 PM

What the Lions did was illegal compared to what Den or GB have shown.  But it fails in a gray area and some refs don't call it while others do (eg Pre season).

DLF54927

Practice Squad

#33 : September 13, 2011, 01:42:15 PM

Guards aren't deeper than the tackles.  And there's two TEs outside of Cherilus, one on the line.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 13, 2011, 04:36:43 PM

legal

They are set way, way back. They're in a 2 point stance which makes them look even farther back on top of that. If they are legal that is the deepest legal alignment for interior linemen I've ever seen.

What you or I have ever seen matters little. The rulebook guideline which I posted above indicates it was legal.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#35 : September 13, 2011, 04:40:16 PM

TOO MANY EXCUSES COMING OUT OF BUCS CAMP - can anyone tell me how many sacks McCoy has as a professional?

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 13, 2011, 04:41:02 PM

You tell me how this is 7 men on the line of scrimmage? I only see 2.

Does it look much different than these? McCoy better get used to it.

It does actually, in that the Lions Guards are lined up deeper than their Tackles which isn't the case in either of your photos. Also in your photos 2 WR's are lined up on the line of scrimmage. In the Lions alignment the TE should have at least been even with the tackle. He is 2.5 yards off the line of scrimmage and the WR at the top of the screen is 2 yards off the line of scrimmage. Even without considering the guards, the alignment the Lions were in should have clearly been flagged and it just one example from the game.

That's an "H" back for the Lions. The TE is to his immediate left.

The Bucs NT is offside BTW.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 13, 2011, 04:44:41 PM

The Bucs NT is offside BTW.
I was thinking that, too. The Bucs players definitely look like they're closer to the offensive linemen they're going up against than the Saints and Raiders players are.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

PewterReportChidi

Rookie
#38 : September 13, 2011, 05:21:06 PM

Excuses. Excuses. Pros figure out a way to beat their opponent no matter how they are lined up.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 13, 2011, 05:24:08 PM

Thanks Chidi.

We look forward to your insight.

britbuc14

Starter

#40 : September 13, 2011, 05:37:54 PM

Digest of Rules Main

Position of Players at Snap
Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.
Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)
No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.
No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.
No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.
If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.
All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).
After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.
Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.
Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

These are what is written in the NFL.com's website.

i's sure i've seen this play done before, i think by the seahawks? and it got them the first down

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#41 : September 13, 2011, 05:52:57 PM

I say we should have done the same thing. If they ignored it too, then we also have a blocking advantage. If they flagged us and not the Lions, then the Bucs could expose a blatant bias to the league.

It isn't right, but just like in MLB, if an umpire has a retarded strikezone you have to adjust. Obviously there's always the possibility of the referees being blatantly biased, but at least take the risk and see if you can't even it out.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 13, 2011, 11:55:47 PM

Excuses. Excuses. Pros figure out a way to beat their opponent no matter how they are lined up.

Didn't answer the question.  In your opinion, was their O Line lined up illegally throughout the game? Some fans are curious about that. Can you give your
opinion?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 14, 2011, 12:15:50 AM

Rules is rules.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 14, 2011, 11:47:58 AM

Somebody mentioned the preseason earlier.

Trueblood and Lee were both called for it, and so was one of the Dolphins - when I ran the plays before and after the penalties, there was almost no difference in the stance for when the penalty was called and when it wasn't. They need to tighten up the rule and either call it or not.

I still think it's not a great excuse though.   
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was the Lions O Line Illegal All Day? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools