Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Open Letter to Mark Dominik re: Greg Olson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 16, 2011, 03:27:36 PM

Olson called a better game on offense than Raheem did on defense.
Java...  THANKS so much for not mucking-up this thread with agenda-driven drivel.

As much as I'd like to disagree with you, I simply can't.

If Olson's offense can be considered "vanilla", Raheem's defense would have to be deemed "Vanilla with bean specs", at best.

Anyone have the numbers on "how often we sent MORE than 4 defensive linemen"...?  Just curious.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 16, 2011, 03:29:04 PM

We also didnt need to throw Freeman into the games until the season was out of reach. Its an entirely different situation now FTW.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#32 : September 16, 2011, 03:33:32 PM

OK, quick question, lets say the Dom does as you request and lets Olson go, who then takes over OC and play calling duties? Yarber? P. Morris? Van Pelt? Roberts? Stukes? It's not like there is a great name sitting out there ready to take over.

Very, VERY valid point Freddy...  And a question I DON'T have an answer for.

We may well be wise to "write the season off", and wait to see who we can acquire in the offseason.  The unfortunate truth is that many of the top-tier OCs out there make as much as our current head coach does.

Is this a reflection of the Buc's coaches capabilities, or the cheapness our owners display in the "management" they choose to direct our team?

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#33 : September 16, 2011, 03:35:40 PM

Olson was a bum in Detroit and for the Rams, he is a buster let him go.
Some one knows this guy's credentials.  What little experience he has, his duration and tenure with past coaching assignments should be factored in.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : September 16, 2011, 03:36:30 PM

Olson suuuuuucks.  This is not anything new to you guys preaching patience.

Do you know what insanity is?

It is doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results.

Yet you continue to bash those preaching patients.... Is it safe to call you "insane" by your own definition? HAHA!

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'd say Olson "suuuuuuucks." We have had some Off. Coordinators that "suuuuuuuuuucked!" Clide Christianson, Mike Shula, Hell even J.Gruden called bad games. It happens. I just think people tend to forget everything good he may have done, because of the last they saw was bad.

Does he need to improve, yes. But I don't believe the team won 10 games INSPITE of their Offensive Coordinator last year.
No, I continue to bash people who keep preaching patience :P.  By your definition, how long of a period of time must pass before "patients" is gone?  Because Olson has been suuuuucking at this for more than a minute.  He has bastardized Martz stuff with more than a heaping helping of Grudens stuff, and he has come away with some very erratic results.  There is no consistency to his playcalling, and unlike some guys like Bellicheat who can spring a suprise on ya with relatively good results, Olson's playcalling is so redundant and brackish, and muddled, that even Detroit Lion's players were in the "know" about the playcalling.  I have "patients".  I just don't like getting beat about the head more than neccessito.  If Olson gets the axe, it will be the proper thing for this team to do.  It shouldn't happen this year, because these switcharoo's in the middle, or worse, the start, of a season of young players will yield only disastrous results.  I highly doubt he distinguishes himself at the end of this year to warrant NOT looking at other options for an O-Coordinator. 

And also, I do indeed thikn the BUcs won 10 games, generally speaking, IN SPITE of Olsons playcalls.  Free is a creator, and a great out of pocket improvisor, and I give a lot of credit to Free for being able to manipulate the game to his own liking.

Olson SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS bro.  Not your opinion, but it is mine.
: September 16, 2011, 03:38:52 PM Boid Fink

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#35 : September 16, 2011, 03:37:25 PM

OK, quick question, lets say the Dom does as you request and lets Olson go, who then takes over OC and play calling duties? Yarber? P. Morris? Van Pelt? Roberts? Stukes? It's not like there is a great name sitting out there ready to take over.

We may well be wise to "write the season off", and wait to see who we can acquire in the offseason.  The unfortunate truth is that many of the top-tier OCs out there make as much as our current head coach does.

Is this a reflection of the Buc's coaches capabilities, or the cheapness our owners display in the "management" they choose to direct our team?

lol wow. Write the season off?? As in throw in the towel?? Quit?? Im sure happy you are not running this team.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 16, 2011, 03:40:14 PM

It is doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting different results.

Yet you continue to bash those preaching patients.... Is it safe to call you "insane" by your own definition? HAHA!

Seriously though, I'm not sure I'd say Olson "suuuuuuucks." We have had some Off. Coordinators that "suuuuuuuuuucked!" Clide Christianson, Mike Shula, Hell even J.Gruden called bad games. It happens. I just think people tend to forget everything good he may have done, because of the last they saw was bad.

Does he need to improve, yes. But I don't believe the team won 10 games INSPITE of their Offensive Coordinator last year.
No, I continue to bash people who keep preaching patience :P.  By your definition, how long of a period of time must pass before "patients" is gone?  Because Olson has been suuuuucking at this for more than a minute.  He has bastardized Martz stuff with more than a heaping helping of Grudens stuff, and he has come away with some very erractic results.  There is no consistency to his playcalling, and unlike some guys like Bellicheat who can spring a suprise on ya with relatively good results, Olson's playcalling is so redundant and brackish, and muddled, that even Detroit Lion's players were in the "know" about the playcalling.  I have patients.  I just don't like getting beat about the head more than neccessito.  If Olson gets the axe, it will be the proper thing for this team to do.  It shouldn't happen this year, because these switcharoo's in the middle, or worse, the start, of a season of young players will yield only disastrous results.  I highly doubt he distinguishes himself at the end of this year to warrant NOT looking at other options for an O-Coordinator. 

And also, I do indeed thikn the BUcs won 10 games, generally speaking, IN SPITE of Olsons playcalls.  Free is a creator, and a great out of pocket improvisor, and I give a lot of credit to Free for being able to manipulate the game to his own liking.

Olson SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS bro.  Not your opinion, but it is mine.

Whats wrong with preaching patience?? I honestly dont see this team winning the super bowl this season do you?? Thats what I mean by patience. This team still needs to have some very valuable experience. Some really bad experience and some very good. Its the only way for the youngest team in the NFL can grow and get better. Im not expecting this team to do anything special this year. Im expecting growth of some kind. What that means for me is at the end of the season you can say this team is heading in the right direction. Right now we just have no clue about that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : September 16, 2011, 03:43:37 PM

No, I continue to bash people who keep preaching patience :P.  By your definition, how long of a period of time must pass before "patients" is gone?  Because Olson has been suuuuucking at this for more than a minute.  He has bastardized Martz stuff with more than a heaping helping of Grudens stuff, and he has come away with some very erractic results.  There is no consistency to his playcalling, and unlike some guys like Bellicheat who can spring a suprise on ya with relatively good results, Olson's playcalling is so redundant and brackish, and muddled, that even Detroit Lion's players were in the "know" about the playcalling.  I have patients.  I just don't like getting beat about the head more than neccessito.  If Olson gets the axe, it will be the proper thing for this team to do.  It shouldn't happen this year, because these switcharoo's in the middle, or worse, the start, of a season of young players will yield only disastrous results.  I highly doubt he distinguishes himself at the end of this year to warrant NOT looking at other options for an O-Coordinator. 

Whats wrong with preaching patience?? I honestly dont see this team winning the super bowl this season do you?? Thats what I mean by patience. This team still needs to have some very valuable experience. Some really bad experience and some very good. Its the only way for the youngest team in the NFL can grow and get better. Im not expecting this team to do anything special this year. Im expecting growth of some kind. What that means for me is at the end of the season you can say this team is heading in the right direction. Right now we just have no clue about that.
Okay then, but patience regarding what then?  olson?  I have had enough of that schizo.  I hate that he gives up on the run so quickly.  Lord, we are down by 3 in the first QTR, time to throw!!  I hate that he takes the ball out of Freemans hands in an effort to "manage" a game, rather than go for something bigger.  You guys wanted Gruden out, and Olson is basically the same guy with less abilities as an X and O guy.  A lot less ability.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#38 : September 16, 2011, 03:51:10 PM

That is why Olson will not get the axe this year.  That and the fact that Rah loves him as a friend, which is bad business IMO.

Olson suuuuuucks as an OC, but he is a decent QB coach.  The BUcs should go look next year for a capable OC who will want to work with the young talent the Bucs have...and they can give Olsen some other job to keep him on payroll (Offensive Quality Control....yuck) in an effort to alleviate him from ruining the BUcs offense.
Boid...  Do you KNOW the two of them are great friends, and if so - HOW/WHY?  You say it as if you're "in the know" on the matter.  I seriously doubt these two are as buddy-buddy as you claim, but if you've got a link or something, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm betting that if Dominik told Rah "I've got to let Olson go...", you're NOT going to see Rah pull a "IF Olson's fired, I'm leaving with him", an fall on a sword for the guy.

And "offering him a position" within the team's rank is ridiculous.  We offered Jeff Jagodzinski the same deal, and you do know how THAT turned out, right?  RIGHT?

Jags went on to become the Head Coach.......................... Of the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL.  Of course, he failed there as well, only to be replaced by Joe Moglia, chairman of TD Ameritrade.  Yes, our illustrious new OC at the time was replaced a year later by a friggin' BANKER...!

Go figure, huh?

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 16, 2011, 04:06:42 PM

Olson callled a better game on offense than Raheem did on defense.

For once I agree, a little, w/JavaRay.

Detroit ran a hurry up quick throwing offense that Raheem did not adjust the secondary to cut off the quick throw options.  I am never critical of Morris but this is his fault. Morris does not have the personnel on offense to run the type of game plan that he wants and refuses to adjust his offense. Our offense is especially our OLine is more equipped to run a spread offense right now than try to line up and power run. So, right now Olsen is playcalling to fit what his head coach wants his team to do, and as we saw Sunday, it gets ugly.

That is what makes Belicheck in New England a genius. Remember his pedigree. He coached under Mr. Conservative himself Bill Parcells and was a defensive coach also. But even being a defensive coach, he is smart enough to see what his team IS, not what he wants it to be.

I do not believe that I am saying this, but if Raheem Morris looked at how the Bucs played in the first half trying to do what he wants his team to do, and the second half playing offense the way that they are built to do right now and does not make  the adjustment, than maybe we need to find another head coach smart enough to do so.

In principal, I completely agree with your take Smovey.  I have to disagree with you (only to a small extent) on your comment "if Raheem Morris looked at how the Bucs played in the first half trying to do what he wants his team to do, and the second half playing offense the way that they are built to do...", for the following reason...

Although Morris has pigheadedly "stuck to his guns" that he wants us to be a power running team through most first halfs, it's NOT that we're "built" to be a spread offense.  I think it's been a product of needing to play catch-up in most 2nd halfs that has caused them to open up the offensive playbook.

How many games have we heard commentators say "The Bucs should run a more hurry-up offense to begin with......."...?  It seems' like every week the same statement is made.  Is this just coincidence?  Can this many people, many of which are either ex-players or tenured veteran commentators, ALL be wrong?

Not to me.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#40 : September 16, 2011, 04:15:14 PM

That is why Olson will not get the axe this year.  That and the fact that Rah loves him as a friend, which is bad business IMO.

Olson suuuuuucks as an OC, but he is a decent QB coach.  The BUcs should go look next year for a capable OC who will want to work with the young talent the Bucs have...and they can give Olsen some other job to keep him on payroll (Offensive Quality Control....yuck) in an effort to alleviate him from ruining the BUcs offense.
Boid...  Do you KNOW the two of them are great friends, and if so - HOW/WHY?  You say it as if you're "in the know" on the matter.  I seriously doubt these two are as buddy-buddy as you claim, but if you've got a link or something, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm betting that if Dominik told Rah "I've got to let Olson go...", you're NOT going to see Rah pull a "IF Olson's fired, I'm leaving with him", an fall on a sword for the guy.

And "offering him a position" within the team's rank is ridiculous.  We offered Jeff Jagodzinski the same deal, and you do know how THAT turned out, right?  RIGHT?

Jags went on to become the Head Coach.......................... Of the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL.  Of course, he failed there as well, only to be replaced by Joe Moglia, chairman of TD Ameritrade.  Yes, our illustrious new OC at the time was replaced a year later by a friggin' BANKER...!

Go figure, huh?
I don't have a link, but I do recall reading that somewhere.  Sorry.

As far as bringing up Jags and the entire offseason debacle of years ago well...a lot of us could see that coming.  It was done too slowly, with a team that needed solid coordinators ASAP.  It was a trainwreck from the naming of Sandwich the starter, then letting Luke go, etc...it was a miasma of crapola.

As far as offering Olson a job, it was said more tongue in cheek than anything. 

Falling on the sword for Olson?  Yeah right.  We all know better than to even mention typing that, but no way Olson gets fired this early in the season.  A new coordinator on a young team after a short offseason is not going to happen.  There are rough waters ahead with Olson as a coordinator.  The guy is just too wishy washy.  And Rah and Dom are good friends as well, and no way Dom does that to Raheem.  Not a chance.

: September 16, 2011, 04:17:12 PM Boid Fink

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#41 : September 16, 2011, 04:30:20 PM

wow........... For guys that are supposed to be hard core fans.........this is embarassing. We are 0-1 not 0-10 and this thread is already advocating firing the OC?  This is after a 10-6 season, a season in which our QB made a huge leap forward in his development.  We had rookies playing across the board at the skill positions and o-line and playing well.    Did Olsen have nothing to do with that?  Its threads like these that make players and coaches roll their eyes when people mention chat rooms or call in shows.   Who the hell are we going to hire now at this point that can make a difference this year?  Are you seriously willing to bring in a new OC with a new system now and hurt Freeman's development?  Its exactly this sort of instant gratification/impulsive decision making that leads bad teams to fire head coaches and coordinators every other year.  Want to know why so many 1st rd QBs bust?  No stability.  They are drafted by bad teams and by their end of their rookie contracts many have already had 2 HCs and 3 OCs. 

Jeeeeez.  I'm more pessimistic than many here but even I think its ridiculous that so many fans are already pushing the panic button.
RPC1978...  Am I safe to asssume by your s/n that you were born in 1978?  I'm thinking YES.  FWIW - I've been attending Bucs game for 2 more years than you've been sucking oxygen.

My opinion is NOT based on ONE GAME.  It's based on TWO things...

Olson has NEVER led a team's offense successfully.
Olson only has TWO YEARS of experience as an Offensive Coordinator, and has been FIRED from both teams in which he served in that same capacity.

I'm only advocating that this young offense NEEDS an experienced Offensive Coordinator.  I don't feel like "rolling the dice" with Freeman's career with a guy who has proven himself as a failure as an offensive coordinator at the professional level.  Yes, it's THAT simple.

I'm not "pushing the panic button"...  I'm pushing the "he's SUCKED and never been a GOOD offensive coordinator as a pro" button.  HUGE difference, based on the entire body of his work here.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 16, 2011, 04:35:11 PM

"write the season off"   :o ???  We are 0-1 man!!!!!!  People have short memories.  With first and second year skill positions players Olsen directed a top 20 offense last year.  I'm not implying that is great but the way you talk you'd believe we were dead last.  Please stop with the open letters.  It sounds foolish.  If more people out there think like you do its no wonder our home games are blacked out. 
: September 16, 2011, 04:40:49 PM rpc1978

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 16, 2011, 04:39:06 PM

1. Lockout
2. Still the youngest team in the league
3. Firing an OC that had been here 7 months does not have the impact of firing an OC who has been here 2 years.
4. Team improved over the course of the season in '09.
5. Team improved over the course of the season in '10.
6. 2011 season not over yet.
7. No mini-camps or OTAs. (Same as lockout, for those who don't quite get that.)
8. Lack of game experience for most of the players. ( See #2.)
9. Lack of skilled veterans. (See #2.)
10. Aquib Talib was more of a distraction than we thought. (Not really, I just wanted something behind the number 10.)

15 other teams lost last week. All of them are loaded with veteran players and they still lost. Several of them were beaten much worse than the Bucs. Some of them will make the playoffs, and the Bucs haven't been eliminated yet, in fact they are tied for the division lead.

It's way too early to panic.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 16, 2011, 04:40:16 PM

Is it really too much to ask for some PATIENCE around here?   How many YEARS of "patience" would be good with you...?  I'm as frustrated as most of you are with the production (or lack there of) of the offense in the 1st quarter, but you said it yourself. "ITS NOT A NEW TREND." It's been going on for YEARS!  Hell, I remember the days where a mere incompletion of a pass thrown over 40 yards down field recieved a STANDING OVATION!  That's called "sarcasm" Doc...  Are we supposed to embrace our past years of "suckage" as the norm, or are we unreasonable to expect excellence?

I vote we play this season out, and let the chips fall where they may at that time. Pulling the ejection lever on the Offensive Coordinator = 2 years of learning and regression IMO. Did we "regress" when we fired Jags?  Sure.  Has our "Offensive Coordinator upgrade" proven himself?  No. Back to the drawing board?  Maybe.   There is more to the TEAM starting slow than the performance of it's Offensive Coordinator. It is, afterall, a TEAM.

The ONLY other option is to replace both Olson and Morris, but I do think Morris has bought himself time with last years record.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Open Letter to Mark Dominik re: Greg Olson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools