Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Williams TD catch that was called back because of illegal shift « previous next »
Page: 1 2

tanardtokerjackson

Second String

: September 19, 2011, 01:57:35 PM

Anybody happen to have video of that play?  That catch was even better then last weeks.  Williams has some of the best sideline footwork in the league. 

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#1 : September 19, 2011, 03:58:46 PM

they only showed the replay once, but it looked like a heck of a catch. I bet it would have been challenged. Looked about as close as it could get to sneaking both toes in bounds

rmiller14

Second String
#2 : September 19, 2011, 05:23:02 PM

I watched that play like 10 times on game rewind, and he was in bounds.  It was beautiful...  If it had counted, it would've been all over the national news.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 19, 2011, 09:29:46 PM

TE Tony Gonzalez of the Falcons made a great tiptoe catch in the back of the EZ last night; I honestly think if the refs had called it "Out of bounds", it would NOT have been overruled. It looked inconclusive (less than 100% certain) to me on replay as to if he got his toes down AFTER he got control of the ball (he initially juggled it). I've noticed the Falcons seem to get nearly ALL the close calls in their favor the last couple years; that won them a lot of games last year...

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 19, 2011, 09:59:57 PM

Yeah that catch was incredible. Just like last week's, it was amazing to see him somehow get his feet down. We really need to find ways to get him more involved, he isn't JUST an endzone threat Olson. You'd think he'd know this from last season's performance.

Also, I hate the illegal shift penalty. Absolutely retarded. The call itself was accurate, I just think it's a stupid penalty.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 19, 2011, 10:35:42 PM

It WAS a stupid penalty.

.....just my opinion

PreferNFL

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 20, 2011, 08:35:57 AM

It WAS a stupid penalty.

Stupid, yes.  But it was the right call.  Three guys motioned on that play and Benn (I believe) did not come close to resetting the full second.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 20, 2011, 08:45:05 AM

Last week we all talked about PI a lot. Seems like this week it's going to be about illegal shift. Here's a short definition of it.

A player is not in motion but is not set before the snap; more than one player is in motion at the snap; or after more than one player was moving (shifting), all eleven players have not been motionless for one second. -Wiki

If we're going by the rules and not being homers, it was a fair call. Stupid as the rule is, it is what it is and everyone has to abide by it. However, I do think it's subject to the refs at the time, and that they aren't exactly watching the clock for that one particular second. .4 seconds can make the difference between winning and losing. If one team just so happens to be able to line up quicker and hike off faster than the other after a shift, they will certainly have an advantage if they aren't getting that call.

Technically speaking, they could flag almost every other play for illegal shift if they wanted to. It's sort of like OL's holding calls. Unless it's completely obvious, it shouldn't be called. Otherwise it gets called nearly every down, and the game sucks in slow motion like that.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#8 : September 20, 2011, 08:52:10 AM

Great catch for sure.  But the throw was fantastic as well.   Perfect placement because Williams was not open.   The only reason he was able to catch it was he was taller and a better jumper than the defender.   He caught the ball at a vertical point the defender could not reach, then did a great job getting his feet in.

tanardtokerjackson

Second String

#9 : September 20, 2011, 11:24:41 AM

I was hoping someone would come through with a video clip.  It is insane how smooth Mike Williams is along the boundaries. 

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 20, 2011, 11:28:14 AM

Last week we all talked about PI a lot. Seems like this week it's going to be about illegal shift. Here's a short definition of it.

A player is not in motion but is not set before the snap; more than one player is in motion at the snap; or after more than one player was moving (shifting), all eleven players have not been motionless for one second. -Wiki

If we're going by the rules and not being homers, it was a fair call. Stupid as the rule is, it is what it is and everyone has to abide by it. However, I do think it's subject to the refs at the time, and that they aren't exactly watching the clock for that one particular second. .4 seconds can make the difference between winning and losing. If one team just so happens to be able to line up quicker and hike off faster than the other after a shift, they will certainly have an advantage if they aren't getting that call.

Technically speaking, they could flag almost every other play for illegal shift if they wanted to. It's sort of like OL's holding calls. Unless it's completely obvious, it shouldn't be called. Otherwise it gets called nearly every down, and the game sucks in slow motion like that.

I agree with this.  it seems like there are plenty of plays where a player doesnt come to a complete stop and no flag is thrown.  I guess with certain officiating crews that penalty is a point of emphasis.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 20, 2011, 01:20:39 PM

No video, but here are screen prints.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 20, 2011, 01:37:36 PM

that was sweet.  I think that td would have withstood a challenge from the vikes.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 20, 2011, 01:42:45 PM

i was so pissed about that penalty. Almost threw something at the TV then we kicked the FG and I was like OK lets stop them on defense now and get the damn ball back!!!

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 20, 2011, 01:44:29 PM

That one play caused me to lose in my fantasy league this week.   Williams killed me.   I lost by one point.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Williams TD catch that was called back because of illegal shift « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools