Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Beginning of the end of college football? « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: September 20, 2011, 08:07:48 AM

So, the first official dominoes to fall in this reckless race to "superconferences" come thanks to ... the ACC?!?!

It's true: While Texas A&M isn't officially a member of the SEC just yet and while rumors continue to swirl that Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are days away from joining the Pac-12, the ACC announced Sunday morning that Pittsburgh and Syracuse officially are members of what now is a 14-team league.

It's certainly interesting, isn't it, that a day after the ACC laid another egg in its quest to be nationally relevant again in football, the league added Pitt and Syracuse - as if that's going to help the league turn around the perception that it can't hang with the big boys in football.

Are you kidding me: Pitt and Syracuse? What, Connecticut and Rutgers didn't want to join? (Actually, in a few days, they may, too. And won't that add more fuel to the "The ACC can't really play football" fire.)

The whole idea of the "superconferences" evidently is to squeeze every available penny from the networks when it comes to TV contracts. How in the world does adding Pitt and Syracuse increase the value of a football deal? (Basketball is a different story, though - again - this never has been about anything but football.)

I still think the move to four 16-team "superconferences" will kill college sports as we know it. You would think someone would step up and say, "Wait a minute. Have we really thought this through?" But because they think there is one more buck out there to be made, the commissioners are in a sort of feeding frenzy.

In a statement she released Sunday morning, UConn president Susan Herbst said she hoped that the realignment issue was settled soon so that universities "can change the national focus away from profiteering and back to student-athletes, where it belongs."

I sure would like to hear more from NCAA president Mark Emmert on the subject. In August, Emmert proposed a summit of sorts to discuss how to further approach conference expansion. Truthfully, Emmert can't stop leagues from doing what they want to do, but why is the NCAA president so strangely silent on the matter? If he thinks it's a bad thing, say it. If he has no problem with it, well, let his voice be heard in that regard. Hell, he's the president of the NCAA. The organization he oversees is going to be irrevocably changed in the next few weeks, yet Emmert is mute on the subject.

What about school presidents and the few truly powerful athletic directors? Is it possible that all these folks truly think this is a good thing?

Finally, what about all the elected officials who have been blathering about the BCS for the past three or four years? They thought the college bowl system was ripe for Congressional investigations. The move to superconferences will have a far greater impact than a revamping of the bowl system, so why are they saying nothing?

It has become increasingly difficult to defend college sports - especially football and men's basketball - as being legitimate missions for a university. History and tradition are reasons you can at least half-heartedly defend it. But history and tradition have been trampled in the rush to get to the bank. It's obvious conference commissioners don't care anymore. It's all about greed now, all about the ACC and the Pac-12 and the SEC and the Big Ten being smaller-scale versions of the NFL, MLB and NBA.

Hmm - how soon until we have the first players' strike in NCAA history?

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1267072

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 20, 2011, 04:14:37 PM

I'm just praying WVU doesn't get left out.

Looks like there is talk of the Big East and the Big 12 merging.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 22, 2011, 05:37:40 AM

It may be the end for smaller schools that already have trouble recruiting. For the bigger programs could really thrive in conferences like that. And yes it most certainly would be more money.;

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 24, 2011, 01:51:57 PM

The team I keep hearing as the one to round out the SEC is Va. Tech. Funny if the ACC trades Va. Tech for Pitt. and Syracuse, might as well change the name to the ALL FSU conference.

Looks like the ACC is trying to keep up with the Big E in BBall and who cares about football. Seems they forget that FB=$$$.

Latest is the PAC doesn't want to expand...yet. At least they don't want Texas. PAC wants full revenue sharing, Texas wants to keep all revs from the Longhorn network-stalemate.

A Big East-Big 12 merger might cripple some of the lower revenue Big E schools because of travel expenses. Can Rutgers or Cincy afford multiple trips to the Great Plains?

The SEC is in no hurry to expand, they know they get the to pick whoever they want and they want the prettiest girls for their harem, but not so pretty as to make the existing members jealous. In the end, the SEC's decision will be based mostly (if not entirely) on $$$. Who brings the most revenues, and will those revs make up for the pie being split into smaller slices?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 08, 2011, 08:05:32 AM

My short term prediction as of today:

The move to get Pitt and Syracuse by the acc was a slam dunk at destroying the Big East.  The "prize"?   NOTRE DAME and an outside chance for Penn State for the ACC though that will be far more difficult unless Notre Dame indeed agrees to join the ACC.

Both teams have the majority of their fan base in the Northeast.  Notre Dame is still the number #1 TV team in the Northeast and  it isn't close. Penn State is an Eastern Team stuck in  a mId western  conference.  Paterno often spoke of an Eastern Conference and now it is there in the form of the ACC.

The ACC will stand pat at 14 until Notre Dame makes its move with the Big East Kaput 

I believe that Missouri will have the votes to enter the SEC very soon even though the initial vote didn't pass. If not it would seem WV is next in line.

Once either of those teams enters the SEC I believe they stand pat as well.  Though there is a group of FSU fans that salivate over the SEC I just don't think that will ever happen for a variety of reasons... FSU will never beg again and the SEC will never lose its arrogance to expect that even though FSU is the best choice as the 14th team in the SEC.

After that I believe the only thing that occurs is the Old BIg 12 will get back to12. It appears TCU is already in having given up on the Big East just like Pitt and Syracuse.   If Missouri ends up in the SEC which I believe will happen  then there will be a whole lot of begging going on from Big East members and others to join the Big 12.

IF USF was smart they would pair up with UCF in an concerted effort to join. That would be a monstrous financial move for the Big 12 but I have to admit I don't think the BIg 12 or USF has the intelligence for such a great move. You can guarantee that Louisville, Cincy, and WV will be beating down the door.I also think BYU could be a player though they may be too slow on the draw.

Definitely will be interesting in the coming months.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 14, 2011, 11:54:08 AM

Why does USF have to go with UCF?  What does UCF add?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 16, 2011, 06:55:12 PM

Why does USF have to go with UCF?  What does UCF add?

A second team in the state of Florida and a natural rival for USF.   

Despite your  aspersions, and I am a USF grad unless they both are paired to the Big 12, I doubt either will be invited.  Face it the Big East which is now pursuing UCF is beyond life support.  If USF fans were honest with themselves they know UCF is their most bitter rival. Time to renew the series and work together for the good of both programs.

The UCF vs USF feud resembles the exact same thing that occurred with baseball between ST Pete and Tampa. That sure isn't  a very pretty picture and hasn't worked out well hate to  see the same thing happen to USF.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 30, 2011, 12:08:25 AM

WVU leaves the Big East to join the Big 12.

Unless the Big East can get Boise State, Houston, Air Force, SMU, UCF, and Navy,, they are going to lose AQ. Would be a bad day for USF football.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 30, 2011, 02:21:06 AM

Big East is complete garbage now. May as well scrap the conference.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 30, 2011, 02:38:05 PM

The UCF vs USF feud resembles the exact same thing that occurred with baseball between ST Pete and Tampa. That sure isn't  a very pretty picture and hasn't worked out well hate to  see the same thing happen to USF.

Actually it is like the feud between UF and FSU in the 60s. First UF only wanted to play them at home or at a neutral site, then they refused to schedule them at all. It took serious pressure from the legislature and Governor to get them playing. There are some at UF that still would block FSU joining the SEC, fewer and in a minority but still some.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 30, 2011, 02:48:52 PM

Yesterday CBS said that the SEC is already working on a 13 and 14 team schedule. IMO, a 13 team schedule would be a cluster-frak. You'd have uneven divisions, and some school would have to play more Conf. games than the others. Adding Mizzou would also be a mess cause either UTAM or Mizzou would have to be in the East which means lots of long road trips.

Now WVU in the Big 12 also is a head scratcher.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 31, 2011, 12:09:07 AM

Are these schools being accepted for all sports or just football? Gonna be some long road trips for those schools.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 31, 2011, 02:33:09 PM

Are these schools being accepted for all sports or just football? Gonna be some long road trips for those schools.

With the SEC it is all or nothing. I think the Big East is the only conference that allows part time participation (i.e Notre Damn in BBall but not FB)

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 31, 2011, 02:49:36 PM

WV will be splitting up sports - the lower revenue sports will play CUSA schedules. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Beginning of the end of college football? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools