Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is 90% of the reason that the Bucs games don't sell out. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 22, 2011, 04:40:47 PM

It's science...

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 22, 2011, 04:44:20 PM

In completely unrelated news, Seargent Obvious has been promoted to Captain.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 22, 2011, 04:49:15 PM

That doesn't explain Seattle...

That's because Seattle isn't a city full of whiny bandwagoners who only show up when their team is about to win a title.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#18 : September 22, 2011, 04:55:09 PM

The Bucs have gone above .500 3 of the last 4 years.

Have they been an elite team? By no means, but it's not like they're the Browns.
: September 22, 2011, 04:57:48 PM future308

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#19 : September 22, 2011, 04:58:26 PM

That's because Seattle isn't a city full of whiny bandwagoners who only show up when their team is about to win a title.

that's why they lost their NBA franchise

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
#20 : September 22, 2011, 05:03:35 PM

It's science...

E
   __          =      90%

MC2

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 22, 2011, 05:06:37 PM

wow, so what you are saying is theres tons of fair-weathers here that only jump on the wagon when the team is winning?

So the root of the problem is getting fair-weather fans to games...........BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 22, 2011, 05:14:33 PM

I think these times are a perfect storm of bad juju including the Bucs going thru a rebuilding stage.  This city's franchise is so new that they haven't gone through more than one decade of being bad, good, bad and then good again.  Plus very few people have a sense of cycles and history anyhow.  There is no one thing that 90% of poor attendence and no proof of it either.  Ironically, it does not necessarily follow that winning would fill up the stadium so that is why we don't have good attendence now.  Its a non sequitor or comparing two unrelated situations and coming to a common conclusion.  Or you could call it a finer degree of logic.

I'm as upset as anyone that we have blackouts but hey....this is the times we live in.  And there is no one fits all solution as there is no one set of circumstances that keep people from coming.  Life is not that simple.  Just have to take a deep breathe and do what's best for you and your family.  IMHO.

Really.  Isn't this a dead issue now?  Just as our team is bi polar and only plays in the second half, so it is that fans are not coming to Ray Jay.  That's just how it is right now.  Suggestions to overcome all this require so many changes in so many different areas that the complexity of the demographics boggle the mind.  You'd have to address the economy ( or lack thereof), the stadium experience, the community at large, the community leaders, the corporate worlds, the demographics of the entire Tampa St Pete region ( like wouldn't it be great to have buses from the Trop to Ray Jay for each game for $5 bucs each way?  Same with Bucs buses from Orlando, Sun City, Sarasota etc.)  They could have a game day experience on each bus.  Have a Jr cheerleader too....and snacks....for example.

Honestly, I myself could fill that stadium given the staff and money to do it.  BTW  those buses should operate during TC too.  There is no end to creative ideas to bring fans to stadium no matter who is playing at what level.   Imagination, Management Support and $$$$$/

I think I will campaign for a job in the PR department .......lol

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 22, 2011, 05:17:33 PM

that's why they lost their NBA franchise

No, that has absolutely nothing to do with why they lost the franchise and you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Go look up the facts of the situation before making assumptions. As I've mentioned before, attendance is very rarely the major factor in relocation and certainly wasn't with the Sonics.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 22, 2011, 05:25:56 PM

I've said this before and I'll say it again, while I think 90% is a bit high, I will say that production on the field/confidence in the production on the field is the primary reason for games not being sold out.  The reason for that is because Florida is the most transient state in the country.  While the population in the Tampa (as well as Jacksonville and Miami), are relatively high... there is an exhorbanant number of non-Florida football fans.  The reason Seattle sells out, is because Seattle is like Denny's... you don't plan to be there, you just end up there.  So there is very little migration to and from the Seattle area so the number of fans / die-hards remains rather static.

The weather is also a significant factor.  When you have people moving to Florida, if the local teams aren't good, it's hard to get the newcomers to spend money on a mediocre product when it's 70 degrees in mid-November.  It's hard to get people who are Lions fans from the Detroit area who moved to Tampa and get them to convert when you have a mediocre team.  Last week I tuned in to 1010 AM and listened to the King David show and the one who followed it.  Just 2 days after the Lions games, the primary talk was 80's movies being re-made, the YANKEES, and the WEATHER!!!  You WILL NOT find a sports media station in the northeast that this happens!

The demand for Tampa sports in the Tampa area is also significantly less than what the population number would lead you to believe.  I looked at 1010's sports lineup... Dan Patrick in the morning, Shaun King mid-days, and Peterson in drive time, then some other show until 8.  Basically, 8 hours of Tampa only sports!  That's utterly rediculously LOW!!  There area sports stations in Philly, NJ, NY, DET, PIT, CHI areas that are local sports 24/7.  There just isn't enough Tampa fans in Tampa to have a consistently mediocre team.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 22, 2011, 05:47:05 PM

I've said this before and I'll say it again, while I think 90% is a bit high, I will say that production on the field/confidence in the production on the field is the primary reason for games not being sold out.  The reason for that is because Florida is the most transient state in the country.  While the population in the Tampa (as well as Jacksonville and Miami), are relatively high... there is an exhorbanant number of non-Florida football fans.  The reason Seattle sells out, is because Seattle is like Denny's... you don't plan to be there, you just end up there.  So there is very little migration to and from the Seattle area so the number of fans / die-hards remains rather static.

The weather is also a significant factor.  When you have people moving to Florida, if the local teams aren't good, it's hard to get the newcomers to spend money on a mediocre product when it's 70 degrees in mid-November.  It's hard to get people who are Lions fans from the Detroit area who moved to Tampa and get them to convert when you have a mediocre team.  Last week I tuned in to 1010 AM and listened to the King David show and the one who followed it.  Just 2 days after the Lions games, the primary talk was 80's movies being re-made, the YANKEES, and the WEATHER!!!  You WILL NOT find a sports media station in the northeast that this happens!

The demand for Tampa sports in the Tampa area is also significantly less than what the population number would lead you to believe.  I looked at 1010's sports lineup... Dan Patrick in the morning, Shaun King mid-days, and Peterson in drive time, then some other show until 8.  Basically, 8 hours of Tampa only sports!  That's utterly rediculously LOW!!  There area sports stations in Philly, NJ, NY, DET, PIT, CHI areas that are local sports 24/7.  There just isn't enough Tampa fans in Tampa to have a consistently mediocre team.

Just on the radio end of it...Dan Patrick isn't local. 1010 is 6 or 7 hours of local sports. 620 is similar.

Your other points are good points. I'll throw out another. A lot of football fans around here are college football fans and closer to college age. Thus...given the choice...they are attending on Saturdays. I don't know how much free cash these people have to then come right back on Sunday and go to a Bucs game.

We also can't leave out the economy. It also plays a part in some of the points already mentioned and just for the mere fact that too many people just can't afford to go.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 22, 2011, 06:18:28 PM

I overall agree with you, but would counter that Seattle is a transient city, too. According to this, the 2000 Census found that 31% of Seattle residents had been there 5 years of less. Secondly, I'd bet that weather or not, the target demographic of people not going to Bucs games don't spend their Sundays playing golf or fishing, but watching other NFL games on TV.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

tailnreds8888

Second String

#27 : September 22, 2011, 08:11:35 PM

Groves

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 23, 2011, 08:39:10 AM

That reason is the Bucs have made believers of no one. They are not a consistently good football team. If the fans knew that they were going to get a really good, consistent and winning team, things would be different. Instead, the fans know that they may put their hard earned money down for tickets and get a complete dud of a game. They just don't know what they're going to get. I would bet the farm that if the Bucs had an offense like the Patriots and a good defense the fans would should up in groves. It's a plain and simple fact that if the Bucs start producing wins and put an exciting product on the field consistently the fans will show. PERIOD! All of the other excuses are just irrelevant.

That was the dumbest post i've ever read, and there have been many lately.

1. The Pats offense and a good defense = Superbowl champs. The pats don't even have a good defense
2. We won 10 games last year, many of which were from behind which resulted in ALOT of exciting games. I would argue that last season was one of the best buc seasons to watch as the play was so exciting.
3. If you can't throw down hard earned money to watch this young and promising team, YOU ARE A BANDWAGGON JUMPER!!!!!!  WAITING FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP CALLIBER TEAM BEFORE YOU WILL BE A FAN IS THE DEFINITION OF A BANDWAGGON JUMPER

You are very clearly clueless about this team. Many NFL owners would give a lot of money to have some of the young talent we have.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 23, 2011, 09:30:49 AM

Good post, LadyFan. The Bipolar Bucs. I like it. Freud meet Freeman.

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is 90% of the reason that the Bucs games don't sell out. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools