Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is 90% of the reason that the Bucs games don't sell out. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

player101

Starter
#30 : September 23, 2011, 09:39:05 AM

I think I will campaign for a job in the PR department .......lol

Do the Bucs have a PR department or just one person and an intern or two?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\"The facts are disputable\"

flaitguy

Starter
#31 : September 23, 2011, 09:40:15 AM

A big question is will we even sell out the colts monday night game?

i think the issue isnt good team or bad team its controversial team. That is we really depend on the enemy buying tickets to fill up the stadium. If we arent exciting to them with  household names, we are like watching the Chiefs. Who pays attention to them. If Sapp is on the team , even if we arent contending, people want to see him get beat or win the game for us. When you think of most interesting teams  you can usually come up with at least one big name player. We have noone who stands out, outside of this area. Freeman is well known around here but he really isnt everywhere else.

JM2

Pro Bowler

#32 : September 23, 2011, 10:18:59 AM

"People can make up statistics to say anything they want. 47% of all people know that." - Homer Simpson

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#33 : September 23, 2011, 10:44:32 AM

Not selling out might possibly be a concern for those that won't buy a ticket...........Cheap big screen HD t.v.s , cold beer, good food, and knowing the Monster Truck is sitting in the driveway not sucking $3.40 per gallon of gas tends to make me crank up the Bose and listen to the legend Deckerhoff and his 'kick Moore......

Selling games out is not a fan's concern......It's an ownership concern........This ownership chose to go and stay young...throw millions at unproven roster players...and snub their noses at the FA market...............What's comical about the blackouts is that it doesn't help the Glazers bottom line one bit,...doesn't help the NFL nazis either........

How much of that $120mil salary cap do the Glazers have left?  Enough to possibly provide free tickets for thousands of kids that may never have a chance to see an NFL game........What a concept...

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 23, 2011, 11:40:57 AM

I overall agree with you, but would counter that Seattle is a transient city, too. According to this, the 2000 Census found that 31% of Seattle residents had been there 5 years of less. Secondly, I'd bet that weather or not, the target demographic of people not going to Bucs games don't spend their Sundays playing golf or fishing, but watching other NFL games on TV.

That's just Seattle itself, not necessarily the surrounding areas.  Also, like that article points out, it's the younger generation that's moving there.  All the 30+ year old fans are still there.

With respect to the target demographic in Tampa, yes most are watching football... but who are they watching?  I don't know, I don't live in Tampa, I'm simply asking the question.  This ofcourse is assuming the Bucs ARE on TV, not blacked out.

Just a tid-bit.  A friend of mine used to work for DirectTV... now works for Comcast (marketing dept).  He said that 4 years ago, the number of DirectTV subscribers increased 7% in the Tampa area.  Two years ago it jumped another 12%.  Since 2004, the number of DirectTV subscribers in the Tampa area has almost doubled.  So, ago... who exactly are the "target demographic" watching?

Not for nothing, but if the it costs people $340 for the Sunday ticket, I don't know... but it seems that people would rather drop $340 to watch other teams than say drop $320 to go to 8 Bucs games.

Native Buc

Pro Bowler

#35 : September 23, 2011, 04:12:34 PM

Bucs would not be in this fiasco until they fired Gruden and hired a un-prestigious coach in Raheem Morris. Morris gave very few the excitement that the team was headed in a good direction. Raheem went 3-13 his first year and people wanted his soul. Its going to take time to regain that trust that this team will not let its fans down when they pay hard earned money to show their support. I for one have made the turn to really like Raheem, and that's why I buy tickets to the games. I think if we keep winning by mid season we can put this black out b.s. behind us, and wash our hands of this.
: September 23, 2011, 04:14:55 PM Native Buc

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 23, 2011, 04:48:23 PM

Winning won't Bring in fans. It's a collaboration or cluster.. of several different problems.

Population in Tampa - A little over 300,000. Opposed to say, Dallas, with their 2 mill approx. Meaning, less fans to buy tickets.

Price - 35 and up per ticket, 30 in gas, consessions (cheaply @ 50), then parking for 10 - 25. That's 120 bucks for ONE person to go to one game, at the cheapest. BTW, bush gardens, Disney, etc will let your whole family in for that amount all day long and they're right around the corner.

Glazers viewed as traitors to the community - Taxes received from us, yet no active FA. Owning a team across the pond doesn't help either. The Glazers have a sweet deal with the Tampa residents and they're just bashing them over the head with it. Many fans won't come back until they're gone.

Other entertainment - For cheaper than a Bucs game, you can go see the Rays who are doing pretty well atm. Also, the lightening and Magic are close by, and again, cheaper.

Environment - I'm all for nostalgia, but seriously, they need a dome or roofing. Each day we're being told more and more "not to stand out in the sun" by doctors. It is a serious issue, and one that would surely bring in more fans. The 50 year old with heart problems will now be able to attend. People with breathing problems would also be able to attend. Imo, that is one major cure for people not showing up. Make it comfortable! ...They would at home..and once again, for cheaper.

Unknowns - For loyal fans to football, you know who the Bucs players are. However, the common "bandwagon" fan has no clue who McCoy, Benn, Price, Briscoe, Williams, and Clayborn are, let alone barely knowing Freeman for five seconds. Remember, blackouts don't hurt the perspective of the people NOT in the area. Most of the "Bandwagon" fans close to Tampa haven't seen a game in almost two years (without stealing it off the net of course).
: September 23, 2011, 04:55:07 PM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#37 : September 23, 2011, 04:57:42 PM

Other entertainment - For cheaper than a Bucs game, you can go see the Rays who are doing pretty well atm. Also, the lightening and Magic are close by, and again, cheaper.

That's just a couple of them - USF sports, and all the concerts in the area. The Glazers will have to do a better job at being businessmen to capture their customers.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#38 : September 23, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Winning won't Bring in fans. It's a collaboration or cluster.. of several different problems.

You could be right.  I don't live in Tampa, but can you let me know how many games were blacked out during Dungy's tenure, 2002, and 2003?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 23, 2011, 05:17:36 PM

I overall agree with you, but would counter that Seattle is a transient city, too. According to this, the 2000 Census found that 31% of Seattle residents had been there 5 years of less. Secondly, I'd bet that weather or not, the target demographic of people not going to Bucs games don't spend their Sundays playing golf or fishing, but watching other NFL games on TV.

That's just Seattle itself, not necessarily the surrounding areas.  Also, like that article points out, it's the younger generation that's moving there.  All the 30+ year old fans are still there.
Maybe so, but the people that moved there in the last 5 years are the young professionals working for Microsoft, Amazon, and the like, who make good money and have money to spend on NFL tickets. Florida hasn't had that kind of influx of young, financially sound people recently. Many of the most successful young people from Florida now live somewhere else.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 23, 2011, 05:21:40 PM

One thing I hadn't considered before reading the OP is that, yeah, we should have the Patriots offense and a good defense. Let's do that.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

big_JLB

Starter

#41 : September 23, 2011, 05:42:26 PM

Groves

+1 LOL, what a chode

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#42 : September 23, 2011, 08:01:01 PM

I think I will campaign for a job in the PR department .......lol

Do the Bucs have a PR department or just one person and an intern or two?
They could clearly use help.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 23, 2011, 08:29:59 PM

Winning won't Bring in fans.

disagree 100%.  tampa fans think they are smarter than the Bucs.  if the Bucs prove them wrong, the tampa fans will jump right back on the ship, claiming they never left.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 23, 2011, 08:38:45 PM

Winning won't Bring in fans.

disagree 100%.  tampa fans think they are smarter than the Bucs.  if the Bucs prove them wrong, the tampa fans will jump right back on the ship, claiming they never left.
I'm willing to suffer through the experiment ;)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is 90% of the reason that the Bucs games don't sell out. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools