Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is 90% of the reason that the Bucs games don't sell out. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

gousfbulls

Starter

#60 : September 24, 2011, 04:16:46 PM

This is a really complicated topic, and I don't think there is one majority factor into the reasons behind the lack of attendance. That said, I would LOVE to see P.R. do an in-depth article about these issues. Many of the posters in this thread have brought up great points, and I'd love to see those points expanded upon.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#61 : September 24, 2011, 04:37:47 PM

Please let me commend you sir, for being a true die-hard football and Bucs fan...

It's tough to disagree with someone whose heart is obviously in the right place.  When I'm at a game, I'm the same way.  Every game I've been to, I've walked in the place with the hope and belief that we could actually win, regardless of the opponent.  Still do, to this day.  If I choose to sit down and put some thought into it, I quit thinking with my heart and only use my head.  Usually.

Sorry for breaking your post down, but I wanted to comment on a few very specific statements... specifically.

AMEN.  Everyone whines about going cheap,
The Glazers, being known as "one of the NFL's cheapest owners", is not a secret.

...but since the team committed to building from within, you can't argue with the results. 
Results...?  What results do you speak of?  If you mean finally acquiring a true franchise QB (and have it work out, unlike Vinny - who was billed as "The 6 Million Dollar Man" on the cover of SI when we signed him), and either building through the draft OR acquiring a team full of overpriced free agents, I get ya.  If you mean "results" like playoff wins and championships, I don't get ya.

After the Super Bowl win, the Bucs turned into a from a schizophrenic franchise that could be playoff bound or picking top 5, with no long term solution at the most important position.
As EVERY team does after a Super Bowl, they attempt to "retool", replacing lost players or upgrading positions of need.  Credit Gruden and Allen's inability to scout talent for that epic fail.  Teams that build a champion, and remain perennial contenders, are those who can successfully augment their rosters every year.  The Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Eagles and a few others come to mind when I think about teams with that quality.

First, we have to get to a championship level.  Only then will we have to worry about maintaining it.

Now, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF THE TEAM, we have a legitimate franchise QB, a bunch of talent at the skill positions, a young d-line filled with some really talented players.

Who is the "bunch of talent" you speak of?  We don't have any "household names" on our roster, and we won't until they're of the ilk to warrant it.

We have a rock solid foundation for the future, yet a lot of "fans" can't get excited about the team?
Fans get excited about one thing...  Championships.  Look at what our Super Bowl win did for ticket sales for years to follow.  It's a "what have you done for me lately" / instant gratification society we live in, and in terms of peoples use of their obviously dwindling entertainment dollar - the Bucs are failing miserably to push sales.  All owners make their money on luxury suites.  A few friends are business owners, two of which had suites at RJS, and would use them either for clients, or employees, but usually a combination of the two.  As their bottom lines were affected, guess what one of their first expenses to eliminate were?

Other than die-hards, like yourself, the only thing that "excites" are deep playoff runs.

I LOVE the fact we don't go after big name free agents.  I prefer the homegrown players. 
Why, especially as a fan who wants others to be equally "excited", would you NOT want to see your/our/the team add players that would be definitive instant upgrades at certain positions?  Wouldn't a "Darren Sprolles type of signing" increase ticket sales as well?  Nah...  Stick with UFAs.  They're cheaper.  Much.

Watching this young team develop over the past two years has been one of the more rewarding experiences I have had as a Bucs fan.  The excitement I feel is similar to what I felt that first game of '97 vs. the 49ers.  If the future doesn't look bright to any of you, it is because your eyes are closed.
If you Google "Bright futures", you get a ton of scholarship sites.   If you Google "Perennial Playoff contenders", you won't see the Bucs mentioned.  I am willing to bet that IF that changes...  You'll never see a "ticket sales issue" again, other than mention of a waiting list.

As a side note on the Glazers, I think they have been great owners.  They took the team over and completely transformed it from a loser to a winner.  Then, they got us over the hump by taking a huge gamble that paid off with a Super Bowl. 
Philanthropically, no.  But the Glazers are NOT "sports people"...  They are "business people".  This team's fans deserve better.  Now that the "youngry" Glazers realize nothing short of championships will reap the profits Malcom created, they're willing to take the required kick in the nuts (financially), and build for the long haul after the mess Gruden left this team in.

After that, when they saw inconsistency, they took another huge gamble to try and make the team a consistent winner in this league like the most storied franchises.
The "huge gamble" they took in acquiring Gruden, sets this team back for years, in terms of the picks we gave up alone.  Imagine the perception of this team if Gruden didn't win the Super Bowl in 2002...!

I am a season ticket holder, living out of state, and the only problem I see with this team is the fans.  We have zero home field advantage.  The games I make each year, I am constantly goading people around me into cheering and being loud.  Eventually, the fans around me get into it, AND ENJOY IT, but I swear it seems like pulling teeth at first.  When I think to other stadiums, I am almost embarrassed.  The Saints...now that is a great fan base.  Even in Houston, with a young franchise that has not had any success, Reliant stadium is always rocking, and the tailgating scene is great.  The most passionate fans at a lot of the games I have been to recently are cheering for the wrong team.
Yeah.......  Saints fans went from this:

To this...  (For more than one reason) But I think the important thing is obvious...

And another thing...
What do fans of the Saints and Texans have in common, that is not shared by the Bucs?

I realize that sellouts won't happen until more people and businesses start buying up season tickets again (b/c you can't consistently sell close to half the stadium with single ticket purchasers), but I wish people would have a little more faith, which is really what being a fan is all about.  I can say as a long time season ticket holder, stranded in another state, I highly endorse the Bucs and the gameday experience, and if any of you can afford to go to games or get season tickets, I highly recommend it.  And if you do...BE LOUD.
Faith....?  Save that for religion.  This is the entertainment business, not a religious experience.

If the Glazers continue to provide a mediocre product, they can expect mediocre attendance levels.  This isn't Buffalo or Kansas, and Tampa is loaded with ways to be "entertained".  The ONLY way it will happen for the Bucs is when the Glazers choose to invest in their team, whether it is real or perceived, and produce a winner.

Would they have sold more tickets this year, if they had made the FA signings they were capable of?  Of course.

Would the ROI have been commensurate with the millions they would have spent?  No.  And don't think for a minute they didn't consider it.  Billionaires have financial analysts for a reason, both within the Bucs organization, and the Glazers themselves individually. 

Two or three years from now, this team WILL sign top-tier FA talent, because we'll finally be in the position to contend.  Not be just another "one and done" playoff team.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#62 : September 24, 2011, 09:40:22 PM

That reason is the Bucs have made believers of no one. They are not a consistently good football team. If the fans knew that they were going to get a really good, consistent and winning team, things would be different. Instead, the fans know that they may put their hard earned money down for tickets and get a complete dud of a game. They just don't know what they're going to get. I would bet the farm that if the Bucs had an offense like the Patriots and a good defense the fans would should up in groves. It's a plain and simple fact that if the Bucs start producing wins and put an exciting product on the field consistently the fans will show. PERIOD! All of the other excuses are just irrelevant.
Why make a thread out of this if everything else is irrelevant? We can't add our objective outlook also? Like Raising a family is more important than paying out the nose for a Pro football team which is classified as entertainment? Sometimes I have to shake my head... ??? OBD

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#63 : September 24, 2011, 10:18:27 PM

C'mon OBD...  Everyone knows "the fans would should up in groves".

Damn, that's just hilarious.

Reminds me of a kid in high school who "hated Jimi Hendrix 'Because he was gay' ..."

When asked why, he sang me the lyrics to "Purple Haze", which I can't etch from memory...

"Excuse me while I kiss this guy."

Priceless.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#64 : September 24, 2011, 10:51:02 PM

C'mon OBD...  Everyone knows "the fans would should up in groves".

The fans would be in groves but still not at Ray Jay  :D

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#65 : September 24, 2011, 11:04:02 PM

The fans would be in groves but still not at Ray Jay  :D

If the migrant farm workers were paid better, I see 78% less blackouts.

/thread?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#66 : September 25, 2011, 01:04:12 PM

Its always been about winning. The fans would show up if they knew we were a good team. Too much uncertainty around the team right now to spend money on them. Im going to the game though because I support the team and this game should be one of the best of the year at RJS.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: This is 90% of the reason that the Bucs games don't sell out. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools