Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ronde on Biggers..............."He'll be all right." « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: September 26, 2011, 12:53:57 AM

Biggers stands tall on defense

CLIFF MCBRIDE /STAFF
Bucs defensive back E.J. Biggers (31) trips up Falcons running back Michael Turner in the fourth quarter Sunday at Raymond James Stadium.

By ANWAR S. RICHARDSON | The Tampa Tribune
Published: September 26, 2011

TAMPA --
Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback E.J. Biggers fully understands why Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan tried to pick on him like a bully at recess.

"If you got Ronde (Barber) and Aqib (Talib) out there, I wouldn't go at them either," Biggers said. "I'd go after the next guy, too. That is what I would do if I was a quarterback.

"I'm the next guy. I would go at me, too."

Atlanta receiver Roddy White was targeted 17 times, including nine in the second half, and finished with nine catches for 140 yards as Biggers attempted to cover him. Biggers had his moments some good, some bad as Tampa Bay pulled off a 16-13 victory.

"We put a lot of pressure on him," Bucs cornerback Ronde Barber said of Biggers. "E.J. is still a young corner. To put him in man situation against their best wideout, I think he stood up. He did what he had to do."

The Falcons used three-receiver formations for much of the game, which put Barber in the slot position. Talib spent most of the game matched against rookie receiver Julio Jones, who finished with six catches for 115 yards.

For the day, Ryan completed 26 of 47 passes for 330 yards with one touchdown and one interception. The interception came in the second quarter, on a pass over the middle intended for White that Biggers tipped away, allowing Barber to make the interception off the deflection.

Ryan, however, was undeterred.

When the Falcons went to a hurry-up offense in the second half, White was Ryan's main target. White was targeted six times on one drive in the fourth quarter, with Biggers getting beat on several of those plays as White caught passes for 15, 14, and 15 yards.

"We knew they were going to complete some balls, but E.J. plays hard, with a lot of heart and it will pay dividends for him," Barber said. "This is just an early challenge for him. He'll be all right."

Despite losing several battles against White, Biggers, who finished with seven tackles and two pass defenses, stepped up during that same fourth-quarter drive.

Atlanta faced second-and-goal on Tampa Bay's 15-yard line when Ryan attempted a pass to White in the back of the end zone, but Biggers broke up the play. Ryan went to White again on the next play, throwing under pressure for the back corner of the end zone, and Biggers came down with the ball out of bounds.

Atlanta settled for Matt Bryant's 33-yard field goal and trailed 16-13 with 4:11 remaining.

The Falcons never got the ball back as the Bucs ran out the clock.

"It was a great learning experience for him," Talib said. "We tell him to stand up when it's time to stand up. Second comeback, they come down and kick a field goal. We ain't worried about all that.

"When it's time to stand up, my man stood up."

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 26, 2011, 01:39:57 AM

Sounds like Ronde and Talib are just having his back.  Dude was roasted all day.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 26, 2011, 03:31:14 AM

Say what you want about Biggers. He batted down the potential game winning TD pass two weeks in a row now.

He obviously was targeted by one of the NFL's best tandems(Ryan-White) all day long. There are only a handful of corners in this league who can go 1v1 with Roddy White all day and hold their own. While Biggers is not there yet, he is definitely a solid #3 CB for the Buccaneers.

When it came down to it, he may have lost a few battles, but he won the war, batting down that ball, and coming down with the other one out of bounds at the end. Bend but don't break, baby. Cut the kid some slack.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

bashear

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 26, 2011, 03:37:08 AM

Sounds like Ronde and Talib are just having his back.  Dude was roasted all day.
Hehe...roasted. My guess is that Biggers was told to keep White in front of him at all costs, and he was fairly successful at doing that.

While we would have all liked to see Biggers shut down Roddy, the game plan was pretty good. The Bucs held the Falcons to 3 points for the first three-quarters of the game.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#4 : September 26, 2011, 06:34:43 AM

Biggers is not physical enough at this point.

AKA T.Calvin

Starter

#5 : September 26, 2011, 09:18:55 AM

Life of a corner when playing a great reciever,roddy white is gonna get his catches

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#6 : September 26, 2011, 09:24:15 AM

jones got 115 yrd vs Talib. Biggers did what was asked of him, he'll be a pretty good corner given time and experience

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 26, 2011, 09:43:52 AM

jones got 115 yrd vs Talib. Biggers did what was asked of him, he'll be a pretty good corner given time and experience

half of that appeared to be on a blown coverage play.  i'd like to hear the explanation on that.  where was the safety help?  whose responsibility was that?

as for biggers, why was he asked to cover white all day?  that is tough assignment for a #3 CB.  if talib is supposed to be our stud #1 CB why isnt he shadowing White?

bucs63

Starter

#8 : September 26, 2011, 09:53:29 AM

Is too much too ask why the plan called for our #3, inexperienced seventh round corner, to cover the Falcons #1 receiver and Buc killer, Roddy White? Barber isn't saying he thinks it was the smartest thing to do, just that it worked out alright.

"We put a lot of pressure on him," Bucs cornerback Ronde Barber said of Biggers. "E.J. is still a young corner. To put him in man situation against their best wideout, I think he stood up. He did what he had to do."

...sorry rpc beat me to it!
: September 26, 2011, 09:56:10 AM bucs63

danimal09

Starter

#9 : September 26, 2011, 11:06:06 AM

Actually I believe that a few of Jones bigger plays today came when Biggers was on him earlier in the game (first half), not positive about that though.

After Grimm went out they seemed played a ton of cover three because Lynch was seen as a liability and with Talib giving Jones such a big cover3cushion they were dumping it to him for 8-10 yards every now and then against Talib.

Overall great gameplan and game by our young defense.

* Actually Lynch is the one on that last 4th down that knocked the ball down.
: September 26, 2011, 11:09:21 AM danimal09

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 26, 2011, 11:11:16 AM

Talib didn't give up 115 yards to Jones.  I think Talib surrendered only a catch or two, for a handful of yards.  Screens, I think.

Your Daddy

Second String

#11 : September 26, 2011, 02:31:43 PM

Biggers was toast all day, and could have cost us the game. Makes me wonder why the FO didn't attempt to upgrade the position this last FA...it goes without saying that Joseph/Aso would have been a drastic upgrade.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#12 : September 26, 2011, 02:38:18 PM

it goes without saying that Joseph/Aso would have been a drastic upgrade.

they would have been an upgrade...but at the same time brees just threw for 400 yards against the joseph led texans and aso was beaten multiple times by some guy named victor.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 26, 2011, 02:39:32 PM

Biggers is what he is. Hes not the guy you want covering White but he actually made some plays that some forget about. He forced the interception by Barber at the end of the half. He also made a nice play in the end zone covering White. I thought he did alright considering he had to cover one of the best recievers in the game.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#14 : September 26, 2011, 03:11:20 PM

i actually felt bad for him..he got cooked on all game...what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...lol hopefully he'll get strong..lol
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ronde on Biggers..............."He'll be all right." « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools