Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 29, 2011, 11:56:09 PM

Remember how he would improve the run defense too because he doesn't need any help over the top, so the safety can come up in the box? Eagles are 30th in the league against the run.

They have also allowed the most passing TDs. ( 8 )

I'm sure things will improve eventually, but so far it hasn't been pretty and week three was down right horrible. Can't help but think they should have just rolled with Asante Samuel and Rodgers-Cromartie. That $12M a year could have been better spent. For instance they have no cap room left to resign Desean Jackson or Shady McCoy. Say what you will, but it seems like the perfect example of why you resign your own guys first ans stay away from other team's over priced FAs.

Draft Aaron Donald

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 30, 2011, 12:01:18 AM

Remember how he would improve the run defense too because he doesn't need any help over the top, so the safety can come up in the box? Eagles are 30th in the league against the run.

They have also allowed the most passing TDs. ( 8 )

I'm sure things will improve eventually, but so far it hasn't been pretty and week three was down right horrible. Can't help but think they should have just rolled with Asante Samuel and Rodgers-Cromartie. That $12M a year could have been better spent. For instance they have no cap room left to resign Desean Jackson or Shady McCoy. Say what you will, but it seems like the perfect example of why you resign your own guys first ans stay away from other team's over priced FAs.

We have a winner!! That is a perfect example of why the Bucs are doing it the right way.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 30, 2011, 12:06:20 AM

Yeah only the Bucs are over paying for their guys. I mean come on Black is making a TON of money for sucking.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 30, 2011, 12:27:58 AM

Yeah only the Bucs are over paying for their guys. I mean come on Black is making a TON of money for sucking.

I agree with you on that one. It was a bad move and I supported it. Dominik has got to learn to:
1) Re-sign guys before the season ends(at a discount), and
2) Let the market dictate what players are worth.

Rich Mckay was good at both of those things and a genius in regards to letting the market dictate what a player is worth. He allowed Barber to test the market and when he wasn't receiving offers for huge money, he re-signed him to a reasonable deal. Dominik should have done the same thing with Joseph, and Black. He definitely blew tens of millions of dollars by not doing that. I believe Black was looking at a back-up type salary on the open market. Probably about half of what the Bucs spent. But if you look at it overall, I think JDub said Black only has $11 million guaranteed. The contract was structured properly. If it had been $20mil guaranteed it would have been detrimental to the future.

The Black signing at least doesn't hinder the Bucs in re-signing their own guys. The Bucs problem will be in 2 or 3 years when they have a bunch of talented players up for contracts and they won't possibly be able to sign them all. The good news is they will get supplemental draft picks and can continue to draft talented players to replace the guys they can't afford to re-sign to huge deals. They are also building depth at most positions so they can promote the next man up in some cases. The future is bright  8)

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 30, 2011, 12:34:15 AM

Rich Mckay was good at both of those things and a genius in regards to letting the market dictate what a player is worth.

That contract he gave Marcus Jones sure made him look like a genius......and so did the cap hell he left the team in.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 30, 2011, 12:41:55 AM

Nobody is perfect. Nobody thought Foster would be ready to wear the green dot and stay in on Nickel downs this fast. Black was worth the money because we needed him badly while Foster grew into the position. Now that Foster is ready to take over and looking great after just three games, and Watson has really looked impressive, it looks foolish to have paid Black so well, but nobody could have known. Better safe than sorry.

People said we paid to much for Koenan, Joseph, and Trueblood too....but now the complaints have dwindled to just Black because everyone is looking like they were worth every cent. Can't win em all.

Draft Aaron Donald

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 30, 2011, 12:58:47 AM

I agree on some parts with you Jdub. But Black still wasn't worth giving all that money too even with Foster coming in as a rookie. We couldve got him a lot cheaper after he tested the waters.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 30, 2011, 01:08:02 AM

Maybe Legend...but the regime obviously felt that Black was the best man for the job. Would they have been off letting him walk and signing a different FA linebacker? Maybe. But hindsight is 20/20 and one bad game vs the Vikings doesn't mean Black sucks. I think he is good to have, but we probably did over pay slightly because we thought he would be playing MLB in nickel and wearing the green dot. Still, if Geno wasn't cleared to play this Monday...it sure would have been comforting to know Black could take over at Will for him while Watson played Sam and we wouldn't miss a beat. In the end I am glad we have him as part of our LB corps and we have plenty of cap room so I don't care if he is making $3M a year or $4M a year. Means nothing to me.

Paying a CB $12M a year when he doesn't make your defense noticeably better, and you can't resign some of the stars you drafted....that is something entirely different.

Draft Aaron Donald

buchead

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 30, 2011, 01:10:10 AM

With this new cba agreement we will see more veterans get bigger contracts. Remember this is the 1st year in it. After a few seasons in this agreement Im not so sure Blacks contract won't look like every average starting linebackers who is signing their second contract.
 As for Aso, forget how he looks individually. When you pay a guy that much he is suppose to have a trickle down affect on the defense. They

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 30, 2011, 01:12:19 AM

Yeah.  Nnamdi sucks.  Biggers is so much better.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 30, 2011, 01:43:53 AM

Rich Mckay was good at both of those things and a genius in regards to letting the market dictate what a player is worth.

That contract he gave Marcus Jones sure made him look like a genius......and so did the cap hell he left the team in.

Say what you want, he built a SB championship team. My points remain valid and have nothing to do with Marcus Jones. Jones had 13 sacks in his contract year, and then fizzled after he got paid. I never said McKay was a psychic.

McKay had a long list of failures, Charles McRae, Kenyatta Walker, Regan Upshaw, etc. I suppose you would have not went after Simeon Rice, and all the free agents if you were the GM. And we would have never won the SB, either. Cap hell=SB winner. You fail.  ;D

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 30, 2011, 01:45:48 AM

Yeah.  Nnamdi sucks.  Biggers is so much better.

LOL!

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 30, 2011, 01:51:59 AM

I take Aso over Biggers any day. With the Bucs using more and more man coverage than cover 2 ASO might have been the difference in the Lions game. Against Atlanta, Julio gets shutdown with ASO on him. Bad call by Bucs not going after him.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#28 : September 30, 2011, 01:55:45 AM

Plus fellas, remember this...Nnamdi would have put us in cap hell...

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 30, 2011, 02:03:18 AM

I take Aso over Biggers any day. With the Bucs using more and more man coverage than cover 2 ASO might have been the difference in the Lions game. Against Atlanta, Julio gets shutdown with ASO on him. Bad call by Bucs not going after him.

Talib got burned twice by Megatron. Biggers gave up zero TD's. Try again.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools