Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#30 : September 30, 2011, 02:17:52 AM

I take Aso over Biggers any day. With the Bucs using more and more man coverage than cover 2 ASO might have been the difference in the Lions game. Against Atlanta, Julio gets shutdown with ASO on him. Bad call by Bucs not going after him.

Talib got burned twice by Megatron. Biggers gave up zero TD's. Try again.

Biggers was getting abused by the Falcons in the 4th quarter did you not even see that? It was in plain sight!

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#31 : September 30, 2011, 03:07:09 AM

Boid,
The purpose of the thread was not to compare Biggers to Aso, but to reflect on what seemed to be a valuable FA who has not been special in the first 3 games.   (See the links that Hate posted)

I would not have been unhappy if Aso had come to the Bucs, but I was a bit neutral about it.

No one pounded the drum harder for Aso to come to the Bucs than you did.

At 12 to 15 million per year,  Aso, so far, is overpriced.  He had no line (no stats) for the Giants game

Its the money vs the level of play that is at issue.  Aso may justify his pay from week 4 on, but thru 3 weeks (see Hate's videos) he has been a disappointment.

You indicated that he was the best CB in the league, and so far your statement doesn't hold up

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : September 30, 2011, 03:20:52 AM

Boid,
The purpose of the thread was not to compare Biggers to Aso, but to reflect on what seemed to be a valuable FA who has not been special in the first 3 games.   (See the links that Hate posted)

I would not have been unhappy if Aso had come to the Bucs, but I was a bit neutral about it.

No one pounded the drum harder for Aso to come to the Bucs than you did.

At 12 to 15 million per year,  Aso, so far, is overpriced.  He had no line (no stats) for the Giants game

Its the money vs the level of play that is at issue.  Aso may justify his pay from week 4 on, but thru 3 weeks (see Hate's videos) he has been a disappointment.

You indicated that he was the best CB in the league, and so far your statement doesn't hold up
He is a dissapointment because he gave up a TD and some yards?  No way broseph.  Not buying your brand.

Biggers got LIT UP on the last drive down the field for the Falcs.  If White didn;t drop a pass, the Falcons have a chance to win it again. And guess who's fault it would have been?  Yup.  Our #2 CB.

I was not the ONLY guy to pimp Nnamdi, I was a part of a group, so spare that singular path of thought.  Nnamdi is still, IMO, the best CB in the NFL.  He has had little time to absorb a new system, on a coaching staff that is dropping him into ZONE coverages.  Something he was never asked to do, but is getting a foothold on it.  In Tampa, on that last drive when Biggers was thrown at EVERY time, as even BIGGERS alluded to, Nnamdi would have batted a few passes down, or not been targeted at all. Like Talib.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 30, 2011, 04:15:04 AM

I take Aso over Biggers any day. With the Bucs using more and more man coverage than cover 2 ASO might have been the difference in the Lions game. Against Atlanta, Julio gets shutdown with ASO on him. Bad call by Bucs not going after him.

What?! Just because CJ is 6'5" and made great catches doesnt mean he burned Talib. I hate it when people don't see details and just look at the end result.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : September 30, 2011, 04:36:00 AM

What?! Just because CJ is 6'5" and made great catches doesnt mean he burned Talib. I hate it when people don't see details and just look at the end result.
Agree.  Not too many phsyical specimens out there like Megatron who are...well...physical specimens, AND AND AND, CAN ball.  Talib is a great corner back.  He is a dunce, but he is a great football player.  Biggers is slight of frame, he cannot make plays on a ball, he is a #3 corner in #2's clothing.  Some of the catches Talib gave up were absurd.  And Julio deep...well...that was a jump ball to a monster again.  Aside from that chuck and pray toss, Talib did his job quite well, IMO.

Which is to not be talked about.

And since Biggers i sbeing talked about, by both media, himself, and teammates, means there is room for improvement.  Biggers has been at this for a hot minute.  Let us not get it twisted.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#35 : September 30, 2011, 05:46:45 AM

....and I hate when people only nitpick at details and lose sight of the end result. Exactly how many touchdowns did Biggers give up last week? Zero. When it really mattered, he broke up the 2 passes in the endzone. As Raheem would say, "The rest is all grey matter."

Tommy

Starter

#36 : September 30, 2011, 06:37:10 AM

If he isn't running man-press he is getting whipped like a lil school girl. Still glad we did not pick him up. He is so horrible in zone coverage.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : September 30, 2011, 07:27:32 AM

Anyone that doesn't agree that Aso has been a disappointment through the first 3 games has not watched him play. I'm not saying things won't get better in Philly, but it isn't even debatable whether Aso has lived up to the hype. He obviously IS better than Biggers....but he hasn't looked any better these first three games.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 30, 2011, 08:00:49 AM

It's the NFL. The only thing that DOES matter is the end result.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 30, 2011, 08:05:47 AM

There is little doubt Aso is a better CB than Biggers. I don't think anyone would try to argue that.

But maybe we are starting to see why we didn't go after him. Maybe our staff saw something that made them think he wouldn't be a good fit in our system or that he wasn't worth the millions he wanted.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

acacius

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 30, 2011, 08:15:14 AM

I'd just like to note that having no stats really doesn't say anything about how well a cornerback is or isn't playing.  From what I've heard, he didn't have a particularly good game at all against the Giants, so I'm not saying that he played well, mind you.  I'm just saying that a lack of stats does not, in and of itself, say that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 30, 2011, 08:15:40 AM

Rah has proven that he can take late round DBs and produce a top 10 pass defense. The secondary is is forte and he doesn't need overpriced CBs to get the job done. We'll continue to draft a DB every year and keep our secondary strong.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 30, 2011, 08:19:24 AM

I'd just like to note that having no stats really doesn't say anything about how well a cornerback is or isn't playing.  From what I've heard, he didn't have a particularly good game at all against the Giants, so I'm not saying that he played well, mind you.  I'm just saying that a lack of stats does not, in and of itself, say that.

Just like scoring 0 points doesn't mean the offense had a bad day! Just kidding, I agree this true. Especially with CBs. He was never a stat monster anyways, even when he was with the Raiders. During his best years other teams wouldn't even throw towards him so he wouldn't have much of a line but was shutting down the best receiver all day. Still don't want him. A 30 yr old has lost a step from a 26 yr old. Still a good player and still better than Biggers but not worth the money he wanted.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 30, 2011, 11:19:26 AM

oh please.  the guy is still a great CB. stop with the agenda games.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 30, 2011, 11:27:27 AM

Not having a stat line is WHY he earned all that money guys.

He has not played all that poorly.  In the end, he will be worth all that money.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Asomugha « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools