Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Freeman turning into a checkdown machine? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 04, 2011, 02:41:50 AM

Josh Freeman completed 25-of-39 passes for 287 yards and one touchdown, and also added 27 yards and a touchdown on six rushing attempts as the Bucs held off the Colts by the score of 24-17 in Week 4's Monday Night Football game.

This was his best fantasy performance this year, but at least two of his passes should have been interceptions and he's turning into a checkdown machine. He's currently tied with Tarvaris Jackson for 30th in yards per attempt (6.2), and until that changes both he and Mike Williams are going to stay out of QB1 and WR1 status. That said, he's on pace for over 3,600 yards passing, 400 rushing yards, and eight rushing touchdowns, as the rushing production keeps his 'floor' in the high-end QB2 range. His 3:4 touchdown to interception ratio should improve.

Source:   Rotoworld.com

Oct 4 - 2:22 AM

DailyRich

Pro Bowler

#1 : October 04, 2011, 07:32:31 AM

A lot of that though is due to playing from behind and defenses being deep to prevent the big play.  So the short stuff over the middle is open, and he takes it.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 04, 2011, 07:51:52 AM

I would be much much happier if he was checking down to Blount and not graham.

The 2 minute drill was set up for us to dump it down in the middle of the field. That was the coverage they were playing and hell it worked pretty well didn't it? We should have had points.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 04, 2011, 08:30:57 AM

It's because he still has problems reading defenses and going through his progressions.  I'm thinking a larger reason for that is the lack of a proper offseason.  That's why I've said many times before, this team is too young and too raw to expect a big improvement with the lack of training camps and OTA's.  Just sit back, watch, and hope.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 04, 2011, 08:38:06 AM

When I saw all those check downs to graham I was thinking we need an 3rd down back with a little wiggle. I dont think he even attempts to make guys miss. He is just not elusive. Lumpkin looks a tad bit shiftier.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 04, 2011, 08:51:07 AM

A lot of that though is due to playing from behind and defenses being deep to prevent the big play.  So the short stuff over the middle is open, and he takes it.

^This. Nothing wrong with Freeman. He's taking what the defense gives him.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 04, 2011, 08:51:22 AM

I wish people would get off of Graham's back.  The check downs he gets are not true check downs in that they are so often defenses are truly expecting them.  I think the word on the street is allow the Bucs to check down and then hold them in the red zone.  Graham and Blount have a hard time getting going when we play such vanilla offensive schemes at the start.  Why not mix it up?  For all the Graham haters out there, do we need a new tight end since Winslow isn't getting many yards after the catch either? 
We need to come out with a killer instinct from the beginning instead of playing from behind so much.  Freeman looks like he is coming off a buzz during the first half of every game this year!  He needs to find a rhythm early and make better throws.  Last nights game was yet another example of Freeman not finding open receivers.......Thank God for Preston Parker!
: October 04, 2011, 09:00:29 AM BucsGuru

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 04, 2011, 09:03:38 AM

Graham deserves some critism. He got away with a fumble last night, that if called correctly would have really affected the game.

I'm not going to complain about the check downs though, because these aren't Jeff Garcia checkdowns that are picking up 3-4 yards because the defense has no depth. The defense is getting depth, and Freeman is getting 7-8 yards on the checkdown. No reason not to keep doing it until the defense decided to stop you. You just hope Graham and Winslow hold up and don't drop the ball.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 04, 2011, 09:14:31 AM

I agree about the fumble and future fumbles on check downs.  I just want to see more down the field attempts to our great receivers....

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 04, 2011, 09:15:55 AM

Nothing wrong with taking the check down when the defense is just giving it to you, but I am SO tired of seeing the dump off to Graham on 3rd down. We literally do this 90% of the time on 3rd downs. If we had a 3rd down back that was shifty and had the quickness and athleticism to turn it into something......that would be great, but we don't. We have Graham and Lumpkin and neither of them get YAC so it's usually a 4 yard dump off that goes for 5 yards when we need 8.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 04, 2011, 09:18:48 AM

Based on what I am seeing it is the WR's that need to step up as they are going through a slump as a unit (with the exception being Parker).  Tavaris Jackson isn't great, but his WR's are struggling as well to find openings.

The Shadow

Starter

#11 : October 04, 2011, 09:19:23 AM

The MNF crew mentioned the fact that we've been playing teams that run T2 (Minnesota, Detroit and now Indy) and that's what the defenses are giving us. I'd rather see him take it and us win than Freeman to be stubborn about what he wants and we lose. Sooner or later the big fella will get it going downfield.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 04, 2011, 09:21:58 AM

I am surprised Olson doesn't call more plays to attack the seems when facing such defensive alignments. 

chad1336

Starter

#13 : October 04, 2011, 09:32:54 AM

Nothing wrong with taking the check down when the defense is just giving it to you, but I am SO tired of seeing the dump off to Graham on 3rd down. We literally do this 90% of the time on 3rd downs. If we had a 3rd down back that was shifty and had the quickness and athleticism to turn it into something......that would be great, but we don't. We have Graham and Lumpkin and neither of them get YAC so it's usually a 4 yard dump off that goes for 5 yards when we need 8.
then we need to get one.  i hope this is the year

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 04, 2011, 09:43:29 AM

JDouble, that's just it, this wasn't the case last year IMO.  Freeman has made this a habit and needs to break it quick.  I'm not going to argue about Graham/ Winslow/ Lumpkin not getting yards on a check down that everybody on defense is expecting.....they are being tackled as the ball gets there many times.
I will agree that in the case of last night, we would have been fools for not taking every dump down that came our way.  It reminded of when we were in Indy a few years ago and Manning picked us apart the exact same way with the short dump off passes; big difference was that his backs and tight ends gained more YAC than ours.  IMO, Manning was throwing designed check downs with blockers out front; our check downs didn't have blockers down front. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Freeman turning into a checkdown machine? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools