Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Freeman turning into a checkdown machine? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DailyRich

Pro Bowler

#15 : October 04, 2011, 10:09:03 AM

Gruden also mentioned he think they're holding back the playbook because the receivers are all so young.  I'd rather we make aggressive mistakes and open things up than hold ourselves back.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 04, 2011, 10:14:31 AM

As someone pointed out, these aren't the Jeff Garcia checkdowns. We're actually getting the linebackers to get depth in their coverage to help bracket their secondary. Which gives us room for the underneath routes. Not a bad idea if I'm a defensive coordinator because, lets be honest, who would you rather have beat you....Earnest Graham or Mike Williams/Kellen Winslow? Clearly the answer is obvious, make Earnest Graham be the playmaker and take away any deep field reads. Its painful to watch but I've seen it done. Recall the 2007 playoff game vs the Giants. Manning was checking down all damn day.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 04, 2011, 10:16:07 AM

Gruden also mentioned he think they're holding back the playbook because the receivers are all so young.  I'd rather we make aggressive mistakes and open things up than hold ourselves back.
This team is still learning. Gruden makes a good point about that. These guys are 2nd year players running around and you can tell just by the simple mistakes committed. Guys still don't know where to line-up, don't know when to motion, and at times even on the wrong side of the formation. The NFL lock-out hurt this team and its showing.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 04, 2011, 10:26:28 AM

Gruden also mentioned he think they're holding back the playbook because the receivers are all so young. I'd rather we make aggressive mistakes and open things up than hold ourselves back.

Even if that means we would be 1-3 instead of 3-1?

Look, we are the youngest team in the league for the second year in a row. It will come, but we have to gain experience each week while still winning games. We started off slow last year too but we won ugly games and that meant that later on in the December when we were really starting to click, we were still in position to make the post season. We are winning. That's all that matters right now. The offense will get better each game just like last year and when we make the playoffs nobody will care if these early games were ugly. The offense will open up gradually. We have the weapons, just have to be patient.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 04, 2011, 10:46:16 AM

Not that fans ever know what they are talking about but saw in a number of football message boards last night having a consistant theme.. "Freeman needs a better OC to get to the next level."

jcm

Second String

#20 : October 04, 2011, 10:59:32 AM

This offense has a ton of room to improve without doing anything differently other than getting Freeman to consistently find the open man. I know for a fact on the ball that was almost picked in the endzone that he had Mike Williams open for a touchdown.  On a couple of the dump offs to Graham he had Winslow wide open and Parker was open on at least one.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 04, 2011, 11:01:57 AM

Freeman needs to work on how to attack zone defenses, because once he does the sky is the limit with the kid.  It appears teams watched film of his rookie year, and are now just flooding the red zone with zone coverages instead of blitzing him.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 04, 2011, 12:39:49 PM

Freeman was quick to check it down last night. I'd like to see him force the issue downfield a bit more. The WRs aren't exactly running free but he's looking for the check down too quickly imo.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 04, 2011, 12:40:54 PM

If the Defense is going to give you 6-7 yards, you take it. 

/thread.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#24 : October 04, 2011, 01:04:24 PM

If we had a 3rd down back that was shifty and had the quickness and athleticism to turn it into something......that would be great

Blame Dominik for not going after Sproles.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 04, 2011, 01:17:39 PM

The Colts were dropping 7 12 yards from the LOS. The Bucs weren't going to complete anything downfield. That's the reason for the checkdowns. Frankly, it would have been foolish to risk it. This is where a RB with some wheels would really help. Those 8-9 yard dumpoffs to Graham are 15 yarders with a back who can move.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

xBuCsX_4_XeVax

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#26 : October 04, 2011, 01:27:13 PM

Nothing wrong with taking the check down when the defense is just giving it to you, but I am SO tired of seeing the dump off to Graham on 3rd down. We literally do this 90% of the time on 3rd downs. If we had a 3rd down back that was shifty and had the quickness and athleticism to turn it into something......that would be great, but we don't. We have Graham and Lumpkin and neither of them get YAC so it's usually a 4 yard dump off that goes for 5 yards when we need 8.

ok so? who gives a *UCK how many times he dumps it to Graham or Winslow...as long as we win...yall should be happy...and yall should stop worrying about fantasy value...that won't win games for us

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 04, 2011, 01:30:57 PM

By running the check downs against a prevent defense you have inevitably taken Mathis & Freeney out of the picture. Thank you Coyer for taking your only chance of winning the game away.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 04, 2011, 01:34:16 PM

Specific to last night's game only:

The Colts literally were not covering the middle of the field. I'm not sure if Freeman was checking down so much as Graham was coming through uncovered every single play.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 04, 2011, 01:37:08 PM

It was the easiest read in the world, if you see the mike lined up safety deep, take a guess at the coverage. I don't think they had any faith in Angerer's coverage ability.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Freeman turning into a checkdown machine? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools