Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Freeman turning into a checkdown machine? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 04, 2011, 01:37:22 PM

If the Defense is going to give you 6-7 yards, you take it. 

/thread.

Exactly, the Colts were bailing at the snap leaving it wide open in the middle. If you can get 6-7 yrds on first down all the time then so be it.

They drove down the field with those checkdowns, for the life of me I can't understand why the Colts continued the same defensive look over and over. Our average yards on first down must have been ridonkulous

DailyRich

Pro Bowler

#31 : October 04, 2011, 02:08:58 PM

Gruden also mentioned he think they're holding back the playbook because the receivers are all so young. I'd rather we make aggressive mistakes and open things up than hold ourselves back.

Even if that means we would be 1-3 instead of 3-1?

If it means the receivers get better?  Maybe.  Who knows, these games may not have even been close if we'd opened things up on offense.

They may be inexperienced, but  don't think coddling them by keeping half the playbook away from them is the answer.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#32 : October 04, 2011, 02:31:52 PM

Ya know, the more I think about it, atleast he's not getting into passing battles and forcing throws like Romo, Vick and Sanchez. We basically know what we're going to get with Freeman. Right now we don't have the speed receiver like DeSean to throw bombs down the field, and we don't have a huge receiver like Calvin to just dominate a cornerback.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 04, 2011, 02:43:48 PM

Gruden also mentioned he think they're holding back the playbook because the receivers are all so young. I'd rather we make aggressive mistakes and open things up than hold ourselves back.

Even if that means we would be 1-3 instead of 3-1?

If it means the receivers get better?  Maybe.  Who knows, these games may not have even been close if we'd opened things up on offense.

They may be inexperienced, but  don't think coddling them by keeping half the playbook away from them is the answer.

Coddling players isn't the reason the Bucs aren't opening the playbook. They are saving plays for the tough games coming up where they will really need them IMHO

Larry Brackins

Starter
#34 : October 04, 2011, 02:50:08 PM

We had the most yards in franchise history in a win yesterday.

Whatever we were doing, keep doing it.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : October 04, 2011, 03:00:47 PM

By running the check downs against a prevent defense you have inevitably taken Mathis & Freeney out of the picture.

This was definitely a factor.  You could see Freeman hit his third step and get the ball out, and was simply because of the Colts coverage.

Watchman

Starter

#36 : October 04, 2011, 03:03:11 PM

I honestly don't see what the problem is.  It looked like Graham was wide open every time on the check down.  If the WRs can't get open down field and Graham is wide open for a 6 yard completion you take that all day.  I guess I'm missing the point of the criticism.  So the problem is that Freeman is hitting a wide open back and driving down the field with relative ease?  It isn't exciting?  We are coddling the WRs?  I've seen Freeman chuck the ball down field enough to know that if someone is open he'll take a shot when it is there.  I'm glad he'll take the easy 6-7 yard completion to the RB on 1st and 10 when it is wide open.

Winning is exciting.  Freeman throwing intereceptions isn't exciting.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 04, 2011, 03:06:31 PM

Does anyone remember a superbowl winning QB who completed 10 passes or "check downs" to his RB and won superbowl MVP??? I bet that team last night would remember.

After the game he said I took what they gave me. They took away the long pass play so we took the short play.

If we had a 3rd down back that could catch short pass and turn it into a 15 yard gain, no one would be complaining about Free's choice.

You can't make guys get open. You either force the ball, make some big plays and turn the ball over sometimes or take what the defense gives you and let your players try to make plays. I would love to see more down the field passing, assuming its open. I cannot see from my couch if Free is just dumping it down or if it is all covered and the dump down is his only option.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 04, 2011, 03:07:59 PM

We don't have Greenbay's or the Saints receivers and Freeman doesn't have 4 seconds like Brady to sit in the pocket and wait.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#39 : October 04, 2011, 03:09:39 PM

<3 <3 <3 Warrick Dunn <3 <3 <3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#40 : October 04, 2011, 03:10:34 PM

We had the most yards in franchise history in a win yesterday.

Whatever we were doing, keep doing it.

Ironically, all of the penalties contributed to the high yardage totals.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 04, 2011, 03:48:00 PM

He's taking what the defenses are giving him.  The young WRs are dropping well thrown balls and having trouble getting open and beating the double teams.  I think once the WRs start to get open more, play better/mistake free and do those things with some consistency you'll naturally start to see more big plays down the field.

If Freeman was forcing the issue more/all the time and had more INTs or incomplete passes as a result of such...people would be complaining about that.  Like it or not...frustrating or not...this team is still young and growing.  The good thing is is that they keep finding ways to win ball games.
: October 04, 2011, 03:49:45 PM MJay9000

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#42 : October 04, 2011, 04:13:19 PM

If the Defense is going to give you 6-7 yards, you take it. 

/thread.
basically

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 04, 2011, 04:14:22 PM

Coyer basically didn't trust his secondary enough to play m2m coverage, so the Bucs were wise to take the easy gifts in the middle of the field.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 04, 2011, 04:17:35 PM

Coyer basically didn't trust his secondary enough to play m2m coverage, so the Bucs were wise to take the easy gifts in the middle of the field.

I feel bad for the Colts' Fans. We've been down the road of having Coyer as a defensive coordinator.   ???
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Freeman turning into a checkdown machine? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools