Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2011 Tampa Bay Lightning « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
: October 04, 2011, 08:22:51 AM

GO BOLTS!!! It's almost time!!!!!!!!!  ;D

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 05, 2011, 08:59:11 PM

I haven't really kept up with them this offseason. I know guys like Bergenheim and Gagne, two strong secondary scorers, departed, as well as a few other guys. How are their replacements?

What are the expectations for this season? How has the preseason been?

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 06, 2011, 12:21:56 AM

I haven't really kept up with them this offseason. I know guys like Bergenheim and Gagne, two strong secondary scorers, departed, as well as a few other guys. How are their replacements?

To me I really did not like seeing those guys go, but the good news is we did re-sign Stamkos, Rolo, and Purcell. Bad news is we lost Bergenheim and Gagne like you said one name you didn't mention that I think is a big loss for this team well future wise was letting go of Mike Smith. Roloson is 42 he doesn't have that much hockey left in him. With all that said though I think we are still the team to beat in the southeast. As far as the replacements go I am not to familiar with them unless they were are the Lightning roster last year, since before last year I hadn't paid attention for a year or two.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 07, 2011, 03:00:29 PM

To me I really did not like seeing those guys go, but the good news is we did re-sign Stamkos, Rolo, and Purcell. Bad news is we lost Bergenheim and Gagne like you said one name you didn't mention that I think is a big loss for this team well future wise was letting go of Mike Smith. Roloson is 42 he doesn't have that much hockey left in him. With all that said though I think we are still the team to beat in the southeast. As far as the replacements go I am not to familiar with them unless they were are the Lightning roster last year, since before last year I hadn't paid attention for a year or two.

We have a couple of possible replacements for those guys. First off Teddy Purcell is another year older now and coming off of a great playoffs. He will play with Vinny Lecavelier. Who is also coming off of a great playoffs too. We still have our first line together. St. Louis, Stamkos and Downie will pick up where they left off last season being one of the most dominant lines in the league. With those two lines playing well it could be a very long season for opposing goalies.

As for Gagne and Bergenheim. Ill start with Bergenhiem since he was also a big contributor in the playoffs. Bergenheim left for the money after a big playoffs. He has never really been anything special as far as a goal scorer. Hes a hard worker but had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Call it luck or system but hes moving on and whether he can keep that label up will remain to be seen. Im not saying he wont be missed just saying he could really slip as far as production goes because he was perfect for our system. He cashed in on it though so it wasnt surprising that he left.

We signed Ryan Shannon from Ottawa Senators to replace Bergenheim. Ryan Shannon comes from the same cloth as far as work ethic goes. Hes faster than Bergenheim is and probably has more skill too. Shannon has played on lower lines but kind of broke out last year and got more playing time. With that he scored more and became more of a factor. He still didnt produce much but he comes to a team who he will fit in well with. Much like how Bergenheim did when he came here. People within the team are saying that he could be more productive than Bergenheim was and be a better fit with the team. We shall see though.

Gagne was a guy who had injury problems coming in. We got him cheap because of his injury problems. He was out much of last year with injuries and also missed some playoff games too. He brings veteran leadership and experience because hes been at every stage in the game. That is what we will miss most from him. He wasnt very productive last year but he was key at some points. I do think Purcell will score more this year and have potential for us to forget about Gagne who left for the LA Kings for more money.

One more player Ill talk about is Brett Connolly. We drafted him a couple of years ago 6th overall. He should have been drafted in the top 3 had it not been for a hip injury he suffered in juniors. He is a natural goal scorer and has been working on his size to stay with Lightning. He has gotten his chance with a great preseason and survived the roster cuts. He will stay with the Lightning for at least 9 games before being sent back. He could possibly stay with the Lightning all season if he keeps playing like he has. He played with St. Louis and Stamkos and put up some goals and made some nice plays. Hes got potential to be a top scorer on the team and play with Stamkos for years on the wing.

With all of that said it will be tough for the Lightning to get back to the eastern conference finals again. They certainly have the ability, coaching, and experience to do it. The biggest question mark is our goalie situation. Roloson is 42 years old and has been playing forevor. We signed Garon from Columbus who has played with Roloson before and they actually put together one of the best goalie tandems in the NHL in the past. That is the biggest question mark ahead for this team. If that plays well this team can go very far. Id say even as far as the cup final. It is still very early to make that sort of prediction but they certainly have the ability to do so. Either way the team will be very fun to watch. The St. Pete times forum has gone through many upgrades for the fans experience for people at the games and for people at home watching the games (they made the lighting brighter so fans can see the puck better on tv). The team is very much heading in the right direction and will be very fun to watch and root for again.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 07, 2011, 05:24:26 PM

We have a couple of possible replacements for those guys. First off Teddy Purcell is another year older now and coming off of a great playoffs. He will play with Vinny Lecavelier. Who is also coming off of a great playoffs too. We still have our first line together. St. Louis, Stamkos and Downie will pick up where they left off last season being one of the most dominant lines in the league. With those two lines playing well it could be a very long season for opposing goalies.

As for Gagne and Bergenheim. Ill start with Bergenhiem since he was also a big contributor in the playoffs. Bergenheim left for the money after a big playoffs. He has never really been anything special as far as a goal scorer. Hes a hard worker but had a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Call it luck or system but hes moving on and whether he can keep that label up will remain to be seen. Im not saying he wont be missed just saying he could really slip as far as production goes because he was perfect for our system. He cashed in on it though so it wasnt surprising that he left.

We signed Ryan Shannon from Ottawa Senators to replace Bergenheim. Ryan Shannon comes from the same cloth as far as work ethic goes. Hes faster than Bergenheim is and probably has more skill too. Shannon has played on lower lines but kind of broke out last year and got more playing time. With that he scored more and became more of a factor. He still didnt produce much but he comes to a team who he will fit in well with. Much like how Bergenheim did when he came here. People within the team are saying that he could be more productive than Bergenheim was and be a better fit with the team. We shall see though.

Gagne was a guy who had injury problems coming in. We got him cheap because of his injury problems. He was out much of last year with injuries and also missed some playoff games too. He brings veteran leadership and experience because hes been at every stage in the game. That is what we will miss most from him. He wasnt very productive last year but he was key at some points. I do think Purcell will score more this year and have potential for us to forget about Gagne who left for the LA Kings for more money.

One more player Ill talk about is Brett Connolly. We drafted him a couple of years ago 6th overall. He should have been drafted in the top 3 had it not been for a hip injury he suffered in juniors. He is a natural goal scorer and has been working on his size to stay with Lightning. He has gotten his chance with a great preseason and survived the roster cuts. He will stay with the Lightning for at least 9 games before being sent back. He could possibly stay with the Lightning all season if he keeps playing like he has. He played with St. Louis and Stamkos and put up some goals and made some nice plays. Hes got potential to be a top scorer on the team and play with Stamkos for years on the wing.

With all of that said it will be tough for the Lightning to get back to the eastern conference finals again. They certainly have the ability, coaching, and experience to do it. The biggest question mark is our goalie situation. Roloson is 42 years old and has been playing forevor. We signed Garon from Columbus who has played with Roloson before and they actually put together one of the best goalie tandems in the NHL in the past. That is the biggest question mark ahead for this team. If that plays well this team can go very far. Id say even as far as the cup final. It is still very early to make that sort of prediction but they certainly have the ability to do so. Either way the team will be very fun to watch. The St. Pete times forum has gone through many upgrades for the fans experience for people at the games and for people at home watching the games (they made the lighting brighter so fans can see the puck better on tv). The team is very much heading in the right direction and will be very fun to watch and root for again.

Nice analyst thanks! :)

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 07, 2011, 05:24:56 PM

not much interest - first game tonight......guess it'll build up over the season like last year.

Most definitely excited and most definitely watching!

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 07, 2011, 05:41:29 PM

No problem.

Should be a very exciting season to watch. Even if you arent a fan of hockey this will be another fun team to watch. Oh yea... the new jersey makes it debut tonight as well!! Goodbye black and hello Blue!!!

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 07, 2011, 06:45:43 PM

GO BOLTS!!! BE THE THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 07, 2011, 08:19:06 PM

Ugh killing our own power plays

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 08, 2011, 02:57:59 AM

Great way to start the season!

Stratobuc

Starter
#10 : October 08, 2011, 07:06:58 AM

Roloson - too old

St. Louis - too old

Lecavelier - getting old

Every year its the same old thing. Every year they prove the pundits wrong. I believe in this team, and we have the front office to make another run at the Cup - AGAIN.

GO BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 08, 2011, 06:17:48 PM

A chance for a little revenge tonight in Boston

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 08, 2011, 10:52:36 PM

Ehh rough game, but it's the NHL every team has a game like this. Considering there is 82 games in a season every team will have quite a bit of these games. I am not worried at all we are still the best in the division in my eyes, but that might be the homer in me

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 09, 2011, 01:17:37 AM

Back to back games are tough. Especially with a rivalry game. They should be fine.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 09, 2011, 02:14:43 AM

Back to back games are tough. Especially with a rivalry game. They should be fine.

Yeah that was pretty rough going straight from North Carolina after a game to Boston. Thanks a lot to the schedule makers on that one!

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2011 Tampa Bay Lightning « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools