Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 4 games, McCoy vs Suh « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #30 : October 05, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

The play of McCoy, and the DL as a whole, the last two weeks has sent blood rushing south of the border.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #31 : October 05, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »

The play of McCoy, and the DL as a whole, the last two weeks has sent blood rushing south of the border.
Post of the season! 8)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #32 : October 05, 2011, 08:35:17 PM »

PFF has always been a little harsher on Suh than most.  From this year:

Suh:
Suh back to rookie form?

I don’t mean this in a good way. Early in his rookie year the book on Suh was pretty simple – he would rag-doll O-lineman for a couple of plays in each game, enough to get on the highlight reel, and keep the hype machine rolling, but otherwise would be quiet. What’s more, he would be very susceptible to trap blocks in the backfield, opening up holes in the run game. To his credit he worked that out of his game as the year went on, but this game was like a journey back in time. He notched a sack, and another hit, but on 23 pass-rushes that isn’t stellar (though certainly not poor), but the Chiefs used trap blocks on him all afternoon and he was taken out of a few plays, ending the day with a below average -1.2 PFF grade. Let’s hope this was just a blip.
---
Run defense may again have not been at its strongest from Ndamukong Suh in this game, but once again he and Cliff Avril combined to provide a terrifying pass rush threat to the quarterback’s open side. One may be more heralded than the other but these two really do combine well to give opposing offensive co-coordinators headaches.
---
Kyle Vanden Bosch remains ridiculously over aggressive and seemingly oblivious to the possibility of reverses or end arounds until they’re five yards past him, and Ndamukong Suh was back to his usual struggles against the run, being blocked so far inside on a run play by Tyron Smith on one occasion that he actually took out the backside defensive end as well. The four combined for just four pressures in the game and really didn’t do much to deserve being on the winning side.

McCoy:
Gerald McCoy (0.0) did play the run very well but got nothing on 26 pass rushes and also encroached twice.
---
The Real McCoy

If Gerald McCoy (+5.8 ) can repeatedly beat Joe Reitz and Mike Pollack, I can repeatedly use the same headline.  The Tampa Bay defensive tackle is turning out to be quite the secret superstar given his profile relative to his performance, and this was a great example of it.  He terrorized the Colts’ guards as he walked away from this game with two tackles for a loss and three tackles for short gains to go with his sack and two pressures in the passing game.  When we look back on the 2010 draft class it’s very likely we’ll be praising how it brought us two incredibly dominant defensive tackles.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

freddy

Hall of Famer
« #33 : October 05, 2011, 08:39:52 PM »

The evil and anti-Buccaneer PFF has McCoy as the 4th best overall DT in the game, behind only Ngata, Raji, and Alan Branch (run stuffer).  They have McCoy as the 2nd best DT vs. the run and 5th best pass rushing DT.  The only negative on McCoy this year is the penalties.  He has the 3rd most among DT's - with Brian Price having the 2nd most.  Gotta clean up the sloppy play, but still remain aggressive.

Dude, stop with the pity party drama queen act already. No one is saying PFF is evil or even anti Buc, we all just said they are completely worthless. geesch   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #34 : October 05, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »

PFF has always been a little harsher on Suh than most.

Yeah, and that's because they look at the whole performance of the player.  While Suh is an animal at getting after the QB, he's pretty bad vs. the run.  At this point, I don't even think he tries.  I think Schwartz might just be telling him to rip the QB's head off.  I think most onlookers are starting to see that as a fair critique of Suh and his overall game.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #35 : October 05, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »

Yeah, and that's because they look at the whole performance of the player.  While Suh is an animal at getting after the QB, he's pretty bad vs. the run.  At this point, I don't even think he tries.  I think Schwartz might just be telling him to rip the QB's head off.  I think most onlookers are starting to see that as a fair critique of Suh and his overall game.

This guy has a flaw... impossible.

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #36 : October 05, 2011, 10:44:01 PM »

I'll say this about McCoy, he has been damn near unblockable this season. He penetrates every single time he isnt double teamed and when he is double team he has shown he can beat it. I've seen him get blatantly held by offensive lineman after he beats them off the snap without ever seeing it called, probably because it would be unfair to the offensive lineman.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

freddy

Hall of Famer
« #37 : October 05, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »

Yeah, and that's because they look at the whole performance of the player. 

Yeah! Dam those NFL professionals, they obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Only PFF, the amateur fan site that suckers people out of their money has any real clue.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

YReceiver14

Starter

« #38 : October 05, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »

Yeah! Dam those NFL professionals, they obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Only PFF, the amateur fan site that suckers people out of their money has any real clue.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Well, PFF has just as much (i.e. slight) credibility as those in the general media who continue to feed the hype on Suh.  The "NFL professionals" like coaches who need to evaluate Suh as they gameplan have the best opinions on his run blocking or w/e...but they're not telling the public.

At least PFF seems to do some sort of stats voodoo after evaluating a whole game.  I'm sure others just see the 3 tackles and a sack stat line of Suh, see a bone-crushing highlight, and proclaim his greatness.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #39 : October 05, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »

Stats cannot correctly compare the two players.

I agree. Their styles are as different as day and night. McCoy is a penetrator, who gets in the backfield and causes distruption, and is not an elite tackler. often McCoy will be close to a sack, and not make the play. He would have twice as many sacks if he could finish like Suh. McCoy is the elite penetrator.

Suh will stalk the LOS, find the weak player to exploit with his brute strength, and make the tackle/sack with the best hands of any Dlineman around. If Suh gets his hands on you, you are going down fast. Suh is an elite tackler, but he is not the guy who is going to be in the opponents backfield all day.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #40 : October 05, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »

McCoy is not Suh.  I get this.

But Suh is one hellacious pass rusher.

freddy

Hall of Famer
« #41 : October 05, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »

Well, PFF has just as much (i.e. slight) credibility as those in the general media who continue to feed the hype on Suh.  The "NFL professionals" like coaches who need to evaluate Suh as they gameplan have the best opinions on his run blocking or w/e...but they're not telling the public.

At least PFF seems to do some sort of stats voodoo after evaluating a whole game.  I'm sure others just see the 3 tackles and a sack stat line of Suh, see a bone-crushing highlight, and proclaim his greatness.

Yet in the end, they are nothing still but an amateur fan site expressing their opinions. BTW, I think you can find a stat or two on ESPN or NFL.com, just a hunch though. At least their stats don't involve voodoo. You know the best part, 98% of everything available at PFF is available at plenty of other sites too, for free. lol

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #42 : October 06, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »

McCoy is not Suh.  I get this.

But Suh is one hellacious pass rusher.
All i see is that late hit from the cowboys game. ;)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #43 : October 06, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »

I can't believe how bad you've been mind-frigged on internet message board.  I'm in there deep, and I'm not even trying to be.

As do the most of the  talking heads on ESPN, NFLN, Fox, CBS, etc.  Very rarely do you hear any of those guys point out something like Suh's poor run defense.  Dante Hall is another example.  They were quick to tell you how many interceptions he had last season, but very rarely would you hear anything saying he almost gave up as many TD's as he had interceptions.  It's a cool site that uses new ways to evaluate players, like Football Outsiders was when they first came out.  Of course you have the dullards like Freddy who simple aren't smart enough to understand what they are looking at, so they ignorantly think it's useless information.  The world is full of simpletons.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #44 : October 06, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »

The evil and anti-Buccaneer PFF has McCoy as the 4th best overall DT in the game, behind only Ngata, Raji, and Alan Branch (run stuffer).  They have McCoy as the 2nd best DT vs. the run and 5th best pass rushing DT.  The only negative on McCoy this year is the penalties.  He has the 3rd most among DT's - with Brian Price having the 2nd most.  Gotta clean up the sloppy play, but still remain aggressive.

Dude, stop with the pity party drama queen act already. No one is saying PFF is evil or even anti Buc, we all just said they are completely worthless. geesch   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Damn, I was actually thinking someone had registerd a name as javabiggs3535.   That would be a great screen name.   

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: After 4 games, McCoy vs Suh « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools