Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stocker out... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#45 : October 07, 2011, 10:05:29 AM

I need to preface this by saying Dom has been great at drafting, but when he reaches for a player, it hasn't gone well.

We obviously gave up too much for Stocker, but JDub is more right about the Benn mistake. We moved up for a guy who has a learning disability. I've worked with guys with learning disablities. Nothing personal, but you have to re-train them after you take a 15 minute break. Benn just looks lost out there. I hope he is able to someday 'get it'. Stocker looks like a stunt man out there. Hope he has good health insurance. LOL.

yeah, Im sure his learning disability is the reason for him not being a huge factor.  ::)

he just forgets the entire playbook every week and has to relearn it. Thats how all learning disabilities work.  ???

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 07, 2011, 10:12:08 AM

I'm withholding judgement on Benn. He looked really good last year before his injury and he has had flashes this year. The fact is that most players with severe knee injuries have an "off" season before they really come back 100%. They say Benn healed faster than expected, but I still don't believe he will be 100% until next season. I think he can be very good for us.

I didn't like moving up for him because it just seemed pointless. Who was going to take him in those 2 picks before us? Golden Tate, Damien Williams, Brandon Lafell, Emmanuel Sanders, Jordon Shipley, and Eric Decker were all still available. It just seemed like a dumb move to give up our 5th that year.

Also, Ben Tate probably would have been the smarter pick. A Blount and Tate tandem would be so ridiculous.

If we had kept that 5th instead of giving up to move two spots for Benn.....we could have used it to draft TE Andew Quarless....but in the end we did end up with Larry Asante who was taken in the 5th, and Desmond Briscoe who was taken in the 6th, so I guess it all worked out. Just seems like we panic once a draft and waste a pick to move up when it isn't smart or even necessary.

hindsight is 20/20, but Im sure you knew all the guys you listed would be so great.

so how Sanders numbers compared to Benn? Tate? Shipley? Decker? Lafell?

lol, so far, Decker is the only one with better numbers. nice try though.

Didnt the Bucs trade up a couple spots to grab Freeman? how did that work out?

I also find it hilarious that you only list the biggest producers/names as alternate options when there were a bunch of other players picked at the same position that are 3rd stringers and some are just out of the NFL period.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#47 : October 07, 2011, 10:18:44 AM

Those were the consensus top receivers Tat. They were all graded out similarly. Most sites actually had Tate graded out higher. The point was Benn wasn't even the consensus top WR on the board. he was just one of about 6 WRs that were all considered to be 2nd to 3rd round prospects. IF a team had decided to take a WR in those two picks before us, it probably wouldn't even have been Benn....so trading up to get him seemed pointless.
: October 07, 2011, 10:21:07 AM JDouble

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#48 : October 07, 2011, 10:21:40 AM

consensus to who? clearly not the Bucs.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#49 : October 07, 2011, 10:26:13 AM

hindsight is 20/20

The Shadow

Starter

#50 : October 07, 2011, 10:42:43 AM

Snap judgements are how mouths get full of feathers. Rookies take time to pan out. I'd love to hear what the reaction of this board would have been to Ronde Barber's rookie year. He was totally lost. He was given the time to figure it out and has turned into one of the best players in franchise history. Judge slowly.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#51 : October 07, 2011, 10:46:11 AM

Our #2 WR has 9 receptions for 114 yards.  Our backup rookie blocking TE has 5 for 59 yards. 

buchead

Hall of Famer

#52 : October 07, 2011, 01:02:31 PM

jDouble you do know that Golden Tate was in danger of not making the roster. I know they have the other mike williams and sidney rice but still... Something isnt right.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#53 : October 07, 2011, 04:13:38 PM

jDouble you do know that Golden Tate was in danger of not making the roster. I know they have the other mike williams and sidney rice but still... Something isnt right.

I'm not saying Tate or any of those other WRs are as good as Benn. All I was saying is at the time they were all projected as similar talent and expected to go around the same time. Tate was actually suppose to be the next WR off the board. Who knows what would of happened. Maybe other teams had Benn rated as the highest WR on the board too, but there were still enough top WRs left on the board that it seemed foolish to give up picks to move up for Benn.

For the record, I liked Golden Tate, Demarius Thomas, and Damian Williams. None of them have done squat. Hindsight is definitely 20/20.
: October 07, 2011, 04:15:27 PM JDouble

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stocker out... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools