Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franklin waived, G. Johnson added, Bowers to DT? « previous next »
Page: 1

YReceiver14

Starter

« : October 10, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »

Per Rotoworld:

Bucs waived TE Collin Franklin.
An undrafted rookie out of Iowa State, Franklin was used sparingly on offense in two appearances with the big club. He may revert to the practice squad.

Bucs promoted DE George Johnson from their practice squad.
Johnson didn't make the final 53 after a beastly preseason, racking up 10 tackles and three sacks in four exhibition games. The 23-year-old will add depth at defensive end, which is now needed because Da'Quan Bowers is moving inside to tackle. The Bucs are trying to make up for Gerald McCoy's high ankle sprain.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #1 : October 10, 2011, 04:17:20 PM »

Craziness.

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 10, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »

Yep, Morris said so during his press conference. I love that they're bringing up George Johnson, but I think it is a mistake to move Bowers inside. It has the potential to really stunt his growth as a DE, like how they moved McCoy to 0 or 5 in Morris' Redskin package.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #3 : October 10, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »

Yep, Morris said so during his press conference. I love that they're bringing up George Johnson, but I think it is a mistake to move Bowers inside. It has the potential to really stunt his growth as a DE, like how they moved McCoy to 0 or 5 in Morris' Redskin package.

I don't. Bowers will grow much more getting more actual game experience than sitting on the bench 80% of the time like he is currently doing, regardless of where he is playing. He actually might excel inside since he hasn't shown a lot of speed rushing off the edge but has exhibited good power moves.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : October 10, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

I don't think Bowers will start I think he will be in  heavy rotation with Price and Okam as the starters. That's what I got from what Morris was saying.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #5 : October 10, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »

Na it wont stunt his growth. It may stop him from having big sack numbers this season if thats what you mean. But playing inside with the big boys will likely make him a more physical player. May even gain strength. It works for the giants. 3 of those hounds they have at d end can play a inside.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #6 : October 10, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »

Good moves all-around.  Franklin has been pretty worthless on the field.  Bowers getting more PT is never a bad thing, no matter where it is on the line.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #7 : October 10, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »

Anpther second draft non-pick down the drain.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 10, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »

I think this tells us what our coaches think of Mr. Bowers! I love the move, I like the boldness and I like more PT for Bowers. I hope can bring the explosion that McCoy did.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

bucs449

Hall of Famer

« #9 : October 10, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »

Na it wont stunt his growth. It may stop him from having big sack numbers this season if thats what you mean. But playing inside with the big boys will likely make him a more physical player. May even gain strength. It works for the giants. 3 of those hounds they have at d end can play a inside.
Of course I don't mean sacks. There is a lot more to a D-lineman than sack numbers. I mean that it is important for a young player to get comfortable in a position and understand it. Moving around stunted McCoy a little last year and I could see it doing the same to Bowers. I obviously hope you are right and I am wrong, but I am just speaking based off what you would expect with a young player. That is why Williams was only learning one reciever position last year, and this year he learned more. I'll support the move though, and I hope Bowers does work. He certaintly is big and explosive enough, and we probably won't see him a lot on early downs. It is just different rushing from a 3 as opposed to a 5 or 7.

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

« #10 : October 10, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »

Bowers has actually played pretty well at UT in passing situations.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #11 : October 10, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »

Was Franklin the one that Freeman threw to yesterday and hit in the back because he wasn't turned around looking for the ball?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #12 : October 10, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »

Was Franklin the one that Freeman threw to yesterday and hit in the back because he wasn't turned around looking for the ball?

Well it didn't hit him in the back, but yeah it was.  The OLB went unblocked and Freeman had to throw the ball earlier than he wanted to.  Franklin hadn't even turned his head around by the time the ball hit the ground.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 10, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »

Did Pianalto ever play with the offense?
    Bowers should be a lot stronger than McCoy, and will be a few steps closer to the QB. Him and Price side-by-side could be a great move; certainly interesting...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #14 : October 10, 2011, 08:04:56 PM »

Did Pianalto ever play with the offense?

Nope.  Demar Dotson has played more TE than Pianalto has this year.  Not a good sign for the other 2nd draftee.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franklin waived, G. Johnson added, Bowers to DT? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools