Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time to bench Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

: October 13, 2011, 12:52:20 AM

Ok. I know I'll catch some flak for this, but I think it's time to bench Josh Freeman. Let me tell you why before you get your panties all in a wad.

First of all, Freeman is playing terrible. Only Sam Bradford has a lower QB rating in the entire NFL among regular starters. He has the fewest TD's among all NFL starters with only three through five games, tied with Sam Bradford. His TD/INT ratio is the worst among all starting QB's with 3 TD and 6 INT. In fact, he is the only QB who has twice as many INT as TD in the entire league.

It just can't be ignored anymore. Freeman is having a terrible year, and should be benched. If he played for any other team, he would be benched already. Freeman has been good this year at certain things. He is highly rated out of the shotgun with 3-4 WR' sets and he has a good completion %(because he checks down so much). He is highly rated in the 4th quarter of games. I'm assuming that is because we are running the 2 minute offense in the 4th quarter. Yet, despite the fact that he is struggling mightily out of our base offense, we continue to run that base offense ignoring the fact that Josh is much better out of the shotgun formation. If we aren't going to try to use him in the only way he has been effective, he should be benched immediately.

I don't think Josh Freeman is terrible. I think he is good, and has shown he is good running the 2 minute offense. What he is not good at is running this base offense with 2 WR's. He is dead last in the NFL with 2 WR's with a rating of QB 44.4. His overall QB rating is 74.1, a difference of 30 QB rating points. By comparison, Drew Brees is terrible under center with a base 2 WR offense as well with a 57.1 rating. But, Brees isn't asked to run that offense very often and has an overall QB rating of 102.3, a difference of about 45 QB rating points. The Brees example is an example of a coaching staff that knows what the player does well, and allows them to do it. If Brees was running a base offense under center as much as Josh Freeman, everyone in NO would be asking for Brees to be benched.

The number one reason why we need to bench Josh Freeman right now is that we need to find out if Freeman is really that bad, or if the offense and play calling is the problem. We need to know whether we need to hire a new OC at the end of the year, or if we need to draft a QB.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 13, 2011, 01:06:42 AM

Ok. I know I'll catch some flak for this, but as stupid as it is Ill post it anyways just for attention!

fixed it for you.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 13, 2011, 01:07:26 AM

Lol, JJ gives us a better shot to win apparently. ::)

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 13, 2011, 01:09:32 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to giving JJ a few wildcat plays per game.  Mix it up a little.  But Free needs to work through his problems IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

baybuc35

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 13, 2011, 01:10:30 AM

Ok. I know I'll catch some flak for this, but as stupid as it is Ill post it anyways just for attention!

fixed it for you.
well said

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#5 : October 13, 2011, 01:16:06 AM

If they had some common sense and done what I suggested (trade for Tebow), they could be starting Tebow this week.   But given their current personnel, they are better served letting Freeman start the next 2 weeks at least and see where he stands at the bye week.

gillen033

Starter

#6 : October 13, 2011, 01:16:48 AM

Is his TD to Int ratio the worst in the league when you factor in his two rushing TD's? Sorry, but you can't discount that part of his game. The guy can score on the goal line, which is a huge advantage over other QBs.

He'll get better this year. Quit making stupid threads.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 13, 2011, 01:18:09 AM

Rushing TD's should never count toward TD to INT rate for a QB.      Or I suppose you think rushing TD's by Blount should also count towards TD's for Freeman's passing stats?

baybuc35

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 13, 2011, 01:19:46 AM

Rushing TD's should never count toward TD to INT rate for a QB.      Or I suppose you think rushing TD's by Blount should also count towards TD's for Freeman's passing stats?
I guess Tebow will only have 8 tds total then if he ever played a full season. He likes men anyways

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#9 : October 13, 2011, 01:28:13 AM

I didn't even read the OP.

But the answer is no.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 13, 2011, 01:32:14 AM

When they do decide to let Freeman watch a few games from the sidelines, they should start Carpenter - not JJ.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 13, 2011, 01:32:34 AM

Freeman has been bad all season and in practices before the season. I wouldn't bench him right now, however I don't see this thread as a attention seeking thread at all. Josh Johnson wouldn't have played worse so far this season. He probably would have ran about 40-50 yards a game as well.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 13, 2011, 01:34:20 AM

Freeman has played poorly.  Not sure why.  Maybe he reads too much into Bradentonians lack of trust for the line.

But he needs to run when he gets the chance, he needs to throw his checkdowns, and he needs to throw it quickly a la a good QB.  He waits to long.  Is it a WR error?  Possibly.  But he has had many many chances to run.  He should run at those times.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 13, 2011, 01:57:32 AM

Congrats on the dumbest idea yet.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 13, 2011, 01:58:08 AM

fixed it for you.

You should have read first, you missed this...Let me tell you why before you get your panties all in a wad.

Sorry, too late. LOL.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Time to bench Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools