Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow on Morris......"He keeps us in line, but he's also just a good dude." « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: October 14, 2011, 04:03:11 PM

For Morris, relationships are priceless

CHRIS URSO/STAFF
Coach Raheem Morris "has a special connection with the players,'' says Kellen Winslow. "... He's not fake. He keeps us in line, but he's also just a good dude."

ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune
Published: October 14, 2011

TAMPA --
It wasn't all that long ago that a telephone call cost you a quarter. Now the cost can be as much as a quarter of a million dollars.

That's the amount the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were fined by the NFL for having what the league termed improper contact with players during the lockout. In this case, improper contact was defined as five phone calls lasting a total of 16 minutes from coach Raheem Morris to a few of his players.

Break it down and that means the Bucs are actually paying about $50,000 per illicit call, which is quite exorbitant indeed. Or is it?

One of the calls Morris made was to tight end Kellen Winslow to check on the well being of Winslow's wife, who had just delivered a baby at the time of the call.

Another was to cornerback Aqib Talib, who at the time of Morris' call had recently been arrested for his involvement in a shooting incident outside his sister's home in Garland, Texas.

It is possible Morris took time during those calls to explain a couple of new plays, but he more than likely spent his brief time on the phone expressing concern and offering support during critical times in their lives.

If there is there is one thing that sets Morris apart from most NFL coaches, it is his ability to connect with players and develop productive relationships. Think about it for a second. Even during that miserable 3-13 run in 2009, when most everyone outside of One Buc Place questioned Morris' mettle, his players never stopped playing hard for him.

Ask the players why and they'll tell you it was partially because of their respect for Morris, whom they see as not just a football coach but a life coach they don't want to disappoint.

"He definitely has a special connection with the players,'' Winslow said. "He relates well to us because he played the game (in college) and because he's a real coach. He's not fake. He keeps us in line, but he's also just a good dude.

"And that's why calls like that mean a lot to us. They're important. And I know there's rules and everything, but (the fine) is taking things a little too far. It was the lockout and this is life. There's more important things than football, you know, and he gets that.''

That he gets it showed not only during the calls but last week, when Morris responded to yet another inquiry about the fine by saying defiantly, "I'd do it again if I had to whether there was a lockout or not.''

That wasn't so much a jab at the league as Morris saying that, while $250,000 is indeed a lot to pay for a few phone calls, it is in reality a small price to pay for a guy who six months later will be asking those very same players to play hard for him, play hurt for him and win for him.

Opportunity lost

The Bucs defense had 10 interceptions through the first five games of the 2010 season. It would have at least that many through five games this season if it had taken advantage of opportunities.

The Bucs, who have picked off two passes, have let four interception opportunities slip through their hands in the past two games alone, defensive backs coach Jimmy Lake said.

"We're getting the same opportunities we had last year, we're just not cashing in on them,'' Lake said. "You guys know it, the players know it and the head coach knows it. We have to catch the football when it's there.''

Cornerback Aqib Talib led the Bucs with six picks last season, but also ranked first in the league in dropped interceptions with five, according to footballoutsiders.com. Talib has one pick this year, but according to the Bucs' count has also dropped two balls that could have been intercepted.

Lake is surprised by the trend.

"He's had a lot of interceptions already in his short career, so for him to drop those is surprising," Lake said. "But I think we'll make up for it as the season goes on.''

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 14, 2011, 04:07:49 PM

Quote from: Coach Morris
"I'd do it again if I had to whether there was a lockout or not.''

The call was worth it. Love the quote.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 14, 2011, 04:24:52 PM

You build a dynasty with a franchise QB and a HC who commands both love and respect. Now all we need is experience for a very young team.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 14, 2011, 04:26:23 PM

You build a dynasty with a franchise QB and a HC who commands both love and respect. Now all we need is experience for a very young team.

Agree and maybe a little patience from the fan base would be nice too?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#4 : October 14, 2011, 04:30:56 PM

"STATS NFL League Rules are for losers" ......Raheem Morris.

britbuc14

Starter

#5 : October 14, 2011, 05:14:46 PM

everyone ask yourselves this question

"If a friend was in need would you ignore them because the bosses of your bosses said you couldn't"

of course not!

if Adolf Goodell want's to prove a point...LET HIM

i'd rather have a HC who the players would gladly run through a brick wall for than someone who the players dont give a crap about

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 14, 2011, 05:19:36 PM

i'd rather have a HC who the players would gladly run through a brick wall for than someone who the players dont give a crap about

I'd just settle for making a few tackles and blocks on the football field. Did you see last weekend's game?

Sheesh!

britbuc14

Starter

#7 : October 14, 2011, 05:22:54 PM

sure did morgan, first i was really angry, then i relaxed and saw it for what it was, a beat down by a better prepared team in which nothing went right for us.

It was a bad day for everyone and i fully expect us to bounce back..Problem?

Due to the Head Coaching circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned back on. We appreciate your patience.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 14, 2011, 05:30:05 PM

Yea a bad game is a bad game. You cant have them in this league and hope to win. Especially vs a good team. Ask the Patriots when they lost to Buffalo. They had a horrible second half and lost because of it. When you play bad in this league you pay for it. Also in this league its about how you bounce back from these games. For this team they just need to keep learning. They arent winning anything special now but that doesnt mean these games dont matter. It just means every game matters even if we are well out of the playoffs. You gotta keep learning how to win and get better. Youngest team in the league will soon be one of the more experienced teams with talent. Thats a great combo.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 14, 2011, 05:32:04 PM

sure did morgan, first i was really angry, then i relaxed and saw it for what it was, a beat down by a better prepared team in which nothing went right for us.

It was a bad day for everyone and i fully expect us to bounce back..Problem?

You think they're going to bounce back next game?

The 49ers aren't shat compared to the Saints, and we're down McCoy and just ran out of Blounts. Besides that, we have Olsen calling plays for JF, and now Graham.

Normally I'm one of the most positive on the MB, but this time I have to be realistic. It's just not going to happen this game.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 14, 2011, 05:43:40 PM

You never know. Its one thing to totally write off a team so you wont be disappointed then theres realistic thinking in that anything can happen. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if we came out and played great and won the game. Of course the opposite wouldnt surprise me either. Either way I highly doubt that locker room is doubting themselves to win this weekend. Its the NFL and anything can happen. 

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 14, 2011, 11:18:16 PM

Someone needs to keep Winslow and his bullcrap pushing and shoving after the play in line.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 15, 2011, 01:55:02 AM

The rules are stupid. They should have been banned from talking about anything football related with the players. Raheem should sue. How can you fine someone for saying 'congratulations' on having a baby? Goodell should be Lynched.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

blackthoughtz

Starter

#13 : October 15, 2011, 03:32:20 AM

Where's the guys talking about Morris can't discipline the team because he has a relationship?

\\\"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.\\\"

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 15, 2011, 12:33:45 PM

Defintely a case of inmates running the asylum at One Buc.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow on Morris......"He keeps us in line, but he's also just a good dude." « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools