Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fans take on Mario Williams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

chace1986

Hall of Famer

: October 17, 2011, 10:15:20 PM

Okay so being near Houston, I can say with a fact that Texans fans are officially biting their nails at the prospect of Mario Williams bolting town this offseason. I believe that those fears are legitimate. The arrival of Wade Phillips has made the need for a dominant DE less of a need and the thought is that we will want to got to a 4-3 system where he can just worry about getting after the QB and spying the run. So that being said, if he were a free-agent, how many of you would want him? or would say that we are set at DE? For me I'm torn, I really like what I have seen from Clayborn and Bennett and Bowers has shown some promise as well, so that potential $90 million(what Peppers got 2 years ago) could be used on longterm deals for LGB and Free and maybe a OLB. There will be those who say...wont happen cause we are cheap...but we did try to go after several of the top free agents(D. Free and J. Joseph to name a few). I think it would be worth considering because you can never have enough good pass rushers....look at the Giants...Tuck, Osi, Pierre-Paul and even Kiwanuka is used as a DE at times. I dunno...just a thought.
: October 17, 2011, 10:16:54 PM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 17, 2011, 10:19:03 PM

Nice player, but we need a RB, Oline help, CB help, LBs.... if you're gonna play him at LB maybe, but DE is an area of strength and we've already seen (by what the Eagles did) how that approach doesn't work.

In Verner We Trust

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 17, 2011, 10:23:56 PM

There is a time and a place to upgrade positions and a time and a place to upgrade positions of need. So pretty much do the opposite of what the Eagles did, cause you know their offensive line is so good...

Formerly known as Revis Islander

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 17, 2011, 10:25:12 PM

but we did try to go after several of the top free agents(D. Free and J. Joseph to name a few).

I remember a rumor about Doug Free but where is this J.Joseph talk coming from?

For the record....pass on Mario although he's a great player.....we have some pieces already in place on the DL that will only require seasoning.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 17, 2011, 10:27:03 PM

I don't see it with bowers clayborn and Bennett playing well as young bucs now.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#5 : October 17, 2011, 10:27:29 PM

It's difficult to say. I think it completely depends on how the team looks at the end of the season. That will ultimately tell the FO where the team stands as a contender. The closer we are, the more likely we are to pursue him.

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 17, 2011, 10:28:22 PM

In simplest terms : I'd rather improve our OL and CB position first. Because we're gonna need someone to play opposite Talib next year.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 17, 2011, 10:30:12 PM

but we did try to go after several of the top free agents(D. Free and J. Joseph to name a few).

I remember a rumor about Doug Free but where is this J.Joseph talk coming from?

For the record....pass on Mario although he's a great player.....we have some pieces already in place on the DL that will only require seasoning.

I remember seeing on several site that we made him an offer but he was already in Houston finalizing..that could have been rumor as well...

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 17, 2011, 10:31:30 PM

I have always thought we could fast track the improvement of the team by getting a proven NFL pass rushing DE, but I don't think it is in the cards with the way the young guys are playing.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 17, 2011, 10:35:12 PM

In simplest terms : I'd rather improve our OL and CB position first. Because we're gonna need someone to play opposite Talib next year.

We already have the guy playing beside Talib. His name is EJ Biggers. He is our shutdown cornerback. Ronde plays the role of nickel corner. I'm thinking between Mack, Gaitor, and Lewis, we will have a guy who can play nickel corner. Of course, that is if Ronde retires.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 17, 2011, 10:38:10 PM

It's difficult to say. I think it completely depends on how the team looks at the end of the season. That will ultimately tell the FO where the team stands as a contender. The closer we are, the more likely we are to pursue him.

I completely agree..this time last season..if someone posted the we should go after Asomugha or J. Joseph...some would have said...Why, we have Talib, Biggers, Myron Lewis and not to mention HOFer Ronde...but a year later we are looking at that as one of our highest needs cause Talib is facing a potential sentence, Biggers is very inconsistent and Myron isnt seeing the field for a reason..and Ronde wont last forever.
: October 17, 2011, 10:39:44 PM chace1986

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 17, 2011, 10:57:27 PM

This is one rare instance where I would totally jump all over this. I don't see it happening, I think he'll stay in Houston.....but if we could get him we should. We have a solid young D-line, this is true, but we are talking about a guy that is top three 4-3 RDE in this league, perhaps even #1 and he is 26 years old. The dude is a freak of nature. He's the same size as Gerald McCoy and yet he has the ability to play linebacker. We'd be fools to pass on him if he was available. We have a good young D-line right now, but replacing Bennett/Bowers with Mario Williams would give us the best D-line in the game. Can't pass up that kind of opportunity.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 17, 2011, 11:28:38 PM

This is one rare instance where I would totally jump all over this. I don't see it happening, I think he'll stay in Houston.....but if we could get him we should. We have a solid young D-line, this is true, but we are talking about a guy that is top three 4-3 RDE in this league, perhaps even #1 and he is 26 years old. The dude is a freak of nature. He's the same size as Gerald McCoy and yet he has the ability to play linebacker. We'd be fools to pass on him if he was available. We have a good young D-line right now, but replacing Bennett/Bowers with Mario Williams would give us the best D-line in the game. Can't pass up that kind of opportunity.

+1

bashear

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 17, 2011, 11:38:03 PM

We already have the guy playing beside Talib. His name is EJ Biggers. He is our shutdown cornerback. Ronde plays the role of nickel corner. I'm thinking between Mack, Gaitor, and Lewis, we will have a guy who can play nickel corner. Of course, that is if Ronde retires.
Since when has Biggers been a shutdown corner?

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#14 : October 17, 2011, 11:42:08 PM

I don't give a hoot about the "needs". If Mario Williams is out there you better get after him. Guy is probably top 3 DE in the NFL.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fans take on Mario Williams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools