Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fans take on Mario Williams « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 17, 2011, 11:47:14 PM

I don't give a hoot about the "needs". If Mario Williams is out there you better get after him. Guy is probably top 3 DE in the NFL.

Slaughtering teenagers and speaking the truth...two staples on Michael Myers resume'.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 17, 2011, 11:49:09 PM

Can you even imagine a line consisting of Clayborn, Price, McCoy, and Mario Williams? That would be ridiculous.

Plus Bowers and Bennett would be even better than they are now because as rotational guys they would only play 10-15 snaps a game and be totally fresh.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 17, 2011, 11:49:36 PM

In simplest terms : I'd rather improve our OL and CB position first. Because we're gonna need someone to play opposite Talib next year.

We already have the guy playing beside Talib. His name is EJ Biggers. He is our shutdown cornerback. Ronde plays the role of nickel corner. I'm thinking between Mack, Gaitor, and Lewis, we will have a guy who can play nickel corner. Of course, that is if Ronde retires.
Since when has Biggers been a shutdown corner?

Apparently since he got the best of Roddy White 1 time out of 15+ matchups a few weeks ago....Biggers would be a scrub on 90% of other rosters....I dont care how much people sh!+ on that statement either.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 17, 2011, 11:49:46 PM

This regime has said they will only go to free agency to compensate for mistakes made in the draft and Clayborn and Bowers do not look like mistakes. Not going to happen.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 17, 2011, 11:50:36 PM

In simplest terms : I'd rather improve our OL and CB position first. Because we're gonna need someone to play opposite Talib next year.

We already have the guy playing beside Talib. His name is EJ Biggers. He is our shutdown cornerback. Ronde plays the role of nickel corner. I'm thinking between Mack, Gaitor, and Lewis, we will have a guy who can play nickel corner. Of course, that is if Ronde retires.

He has always been one. Name another CB in the entire NFL that has given up zero TD's this year.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 17, 2011, 11:51:06 PM

Mario Williams was producing like a mad man in Wade Phillips' scheme before the injury. I believe he had 5 sacks in 5 games.

He is a key cog in  Phillips' scheme as a DeMarcus Ware or a Bruce Smith.

No way the Texans let him walk.

I bet they tag him.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 17, 2011, 11:53:54 PM

He has always been one. Name another CB in the entire NFL that has given up zero TD's this year.

Okay so its excusable for him to get abused between the 20's I guess.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 18, 2011, 12:01:04 AM

As much as I like Biggers he would be a great nickel guy, but a constant opposite starter from Talib, no. we'll probably get a Corner in FA/Draft this year to replace Ronde. That definitely looks like one of the areas they'll be targeting.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

buchead

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 18, 2011, 12:05:16 AM

IMO it is okay for him to get torched between the 20s. Lets list the WR he has covered and then come baack to 0 TDs. Theres only 1 guy in the nfl that consistently holds number 1 wr to 2 or 3 catches for 30 yards. I think the unrealistic play of Darrell Revis is clouding judgement a bit. What he does is not normal, thats why there is such hoopla about Revis Island.
 That being said however, 1 more CB would be great.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 18, 2011, 12:08:51 AM

Man, this is a tough crowd. You want a CB who gives up zero catches? Without Biggers we can't even play cover one. Here is our cover one with Ronde trying to cover Colston 1-1 with Biggers on the bench:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011101609/2011/REG6/saints@buccaneers#menu=highlights%7CcontentId%3A09000d5d8232b7d8

Biggers is a top flight CB IMO. He never gets burned like Talib, or Barber. Even when he gives up plays, he is almost always right there with the WR. That is the definition of a shutdown corner in my book.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 18, 2011, 08:43:22 AM

Biggers is a solid young CB. He has good height, great speed and athleticism, good instincts and coverage ability. The one thing he needs to work on is his ball skills. He will be on a guy like white on rice but often gives up the reception anyways. He might need to bulk up a little so he can be a little more physical and he definitely needs to improve his ball skills.....but he has been outstanding for a 7th round pick that has played just 20 games in his career. He shows real promise imo. He isn't ever going to be a #1 shut down corner, but he can be every bit as good a #2 as Brian Kelly was.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 18, 2011, 09:29:02 AM

Biggers is a top flight CB IMO. He never gets burned like Talib, or Barber. Even when he gives up plays, he is almost always right there with the WR. That is the definition of a shutdown corner in my book.

He sure looked "top flight" when he let Lance Moore run by him to catch a 40 yard reception on 3rd and long.....Im sure glad he never gets burned either...

Sim

Starter

#27 : October 18, 2011, 10:03:09 AM

This regime has said they will only go to free agency to compensate for mistakes made in the draft and Clayborn and Bowers do not look like mistakes. Not going to happen.

Exactly. Going after a guy with a high price tag, especially on defense, is not part of the plan. They are putting a lot of faith in Millard to coach our guys up and it's working so far. That money could better spent elsewhere.

We've paid for the specialty positions like we did with Koenen. It may sound strange but I say we pay big money to the biggest, nastiest Fullback out there instead.  ;D

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 18, 2011, 11:55:19 AM

Mario Williams was producing like a mad man in Wade Phillips' scheme before the injury. I believe he had 5 sacks in 5 games.

I bet they tag him.

Agreed.  Don't know why the OP suggested otherwise.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 18, 2011, 12:12:19 PM

I bet they tag him.

Agreed.  Don't know why the OP suggested otherwise.

The OP never suggested otherwise. What was suggested is the need for a dominant DE-OLB pass rusher isnt as important in their current 3-4 rather than in say a 4-3 that relies on just 4 men getting after the QB about 70% of the time rather than a 3-4 which brings 5 guys about 50% of the time. Mario Williams will produce in any defensive scheme. His production was never in question. In fact his replacement Brooks Reed was just about as disruptive and is a more natural 3-4 LB-DE than Williams is...not saying that I would rather have Reed if I were a Texans fan...just that Williams was relied on more in that 4-3 defense last year than he is in the current 3-4 scheme.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Fans take on Mario Williams « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools