Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Keyshawn Johnson says Jon Gruden messed with his psyche « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : October 23, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

Keyshawn Johnson says Jon Gruden messed with his psyche

Source:   PFT
 Posted by Michael David Smith on October 23, 2011, 11:24 AM EDT

We have a new installment of ESPN on ESPN crime, as a former player who now works for ESPN gave an example of a miserable experience with a coach he hated — a coach who also happens to work for ESPN.

Keyshawn Johnson said this morning on Sunday NFL Countdown that he despised playing for Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay so much that he was desperate to leave, by any means necessary.

“When your psyche is messed with, and you don’t want to be around the organization or team, you just want to do whatever you can to get out of there,” Johnson said. “And that was the situation when I was under Coach Gruden in Tampa.”

Gruden became Johnson’s coach in 2002, when he took the Bucs job, and they won the Super Bowl that season. But the next year, Gruden and Johnson were at each other’s throats so much that the Bucs essentially kicked Johnson off the team, sending him home and deactivating him for the final seven games.

Johnson says he was more than happy to exit a team coached by Gruden.

“I didn’t want to be there,” Johnson said. “I didn’t want to be in the environment. No matter we had just won a championship, and I was playing fine the year that I got deactivated, I was doing great. In fact, we had a chance to go to the playoffs. But it was just something about the way I was being coached, talked to, dealt with. Just didn’t want to be there. So for me, I was happy when I got the phone call that said, ‘Hey, we’re going to deactivate you for the rest of the year.’ I was excited. I was like, ‘Oh, cool, no problem. I don’t have to be around this because my health is more important.’ Going into a building and not wanting to be there, it was just a blessing to me to be able to go to Dallas. Heck, even before I went to Dallas I was talking to the Arizona Cardinals. Now think about that. I just wanted to get out of Tampa.”

We’ll be curious to see whether ESPN gives Gruden equal time to respond.
« : October 23, 2011, 11:53:44 AM michael89156 »

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 23, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »

I've been a Keyshawn supporter but the fact that Jon Gruden  is a tool is no reason to want to quit on your team. Not saying he did, as he mentioned he was still performing when he was deactivated. But the way he says he didnt want to be in the building, or on the TEAM. He is including the whole organization.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 23, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

Poor Keyshawn, such a delicate flower.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #3 : October 23, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

I never supported Keyshawn's position as a Jet or a Buccaneer, but I did come to understand it more as the years past with Jon Gruden. Gruden was never able to generate any loyalty with his players. It's not surprising since his solution to any problem was never about teaching. He simply brought in players he thought had already been taught by other teams. Raheem teaches, and the coaches under him also teach. The players know that the organization has an investment in them. This team will succeed where Gruden's teams failed. There is a brotherhood here now that did not exist three years ago. These guys fight for each other.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : October 23, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »

Big shocker there....it was obvious they hated each other....Key is a tool

JM2

Pro Bowler

« #5 : October 23, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »

I remember Tim Brown saying something about how Gru had changed as a person from when he was in Oakland, this was when brown came to the Bucs. he was saying that, basically, Gru had become too full of himself, wouldn't listen to anyone else's ideas or input, etc. There are lots of little clues that Gru was no peach to work for, or with, for that matter.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : October 23, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »

Most every coach Meshawn played for played with his psyche - according to him.  Even his favorite - Parcells. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
« #7 : October 23, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »

Because everyone knows Keyshawn is such a reliable source and a very nice guy *sarcasm*

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 23, 2011, 12:41:08 PM »

wow.  key is still a tool bag.  Key was a merc who only cared about himself.  he was happy to get out of there? did whatever he could to get out of there?  basically that says to me that he quit on the team.  That article doesnt make Gruden look bad, it exposes Key for the selfish punk that he was and maybe still is.  He was a good player but never anywhere close to being as good as he thought he was. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : October 23, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »

He was a very good wide receiver - who dropped more balls that I thought he would - glad he was in Tampa in '02 - wouldn't want him with the current team - too many impressionable young men

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : October 23, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »

Funny about the timing of this article. Bucs get a big win and have a chance to generate some positive publicity and momentum for the franchise. Then the 'Gruden was a bad guy' card is played again. And they wonder why our fanbase has dissipated over the last eight years. Crap like this.

In Verner We Trust

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : October 23, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »

Could of used Key today.  The team needs a few leaders IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #12 : October 26, 2011, 06:11:52 AM »

That's funny. I was in a restaraunt a few years back and Joe Jurevicius was in there and he said the exact same thing about Gruden....

I wonder what Freeman will be saying about Greg Olson in a few years.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 26, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »

Because everyone knows Keyshawn is such a reliable source and a very nice guy *sarcasm*

I worked with him on his own reality show a few years ago in LA. He was great to work with. Nice guy who took the crew out to lunch every chance
he got.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #14 : October 26, 2011, 12:20:16 PM »

both these guys can be labeled as "difficult to work with."
One thing about that team, there sure were a bunch of characters. And not just guys that liked to talk; guys that liked to talk and could bring it: Sapp, Simeon, Keyshawn, Gruden.
Key never seemed to act fake to me though.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Keyshawn Johnson says Jon Gruden messed with his psyche « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools