Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Keyshawn Johnson says Jon Gruden messed with his psyche « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #15 : October 26, 2011, 12:42:16 PM »

Gruden on Keyshawn: “You’ve got to have some thick skin”

Source:   PFT
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 26, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT

Getty Images

On Sunday, ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson took a shot at ESPN analyst Jon Gruden, saying that Gruden messed with his head when Johnson played for him. On Wednesday, Gruden took his opportunity to respond.

During an appearance on Mike and Mike in the Morning, Gruden was asked about players publicly criticizing coaches, and he quickly turned it into an opportunity to bring up Johnson’s comments.

“I had a guy on SportsCenter say he couldn’t get along with me the other day on TV,” Gruden said. “So I know how it feels. You’ve got to have some thick skin, and you’ve got to know when things get tough there are going to be some negative things said.”

It actually wasn’t SportsCenter, it was Sunday NFL Countdown, but it was interesting that Gruden felt the need to bring up Johnson’s comments. If Gruden’s skin were really thick, wouldn’t he just let it go?

In any event, I have a feeling this is the last we’re going to hear about it, as ESPN will likely tell both guys to put a sock in it.
« : October 26, 2011, 12:45:39 PM michael89156 »

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #16 : October 26, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »

it was interesting that Gruden felt the need to bring up Johnson’s comments. If Gruden’s skin were really thick, wouldn’t he just let it go?

Because he asked about it, dingleberry.

The writers at PFT suck hard.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #17 : October 26, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »

Gramatica falls apart, psychologically.

Sapp, still waiting for Gruden to call him back.

McCardell, said the coach was a liar.

Lynch, released unceremoniously "not" passing physical. Left feeling like he was dealt with dishonestlly. Picked up right away and productive in Denver.

Keyshawn, a highly productive receiver, released because he could not be dealt with.

Thomas Jones, shows he is productive, then we let him walk.

Charlie Garner.

Galloway, can't get him on field with Bryant.

Alstott, talks about loving what the guy brings, but then won't use him.

Bruce Gradkowski...

Garcia/Griese? Won't decide on starter.

Rob Johnson... lol

Going after Favre...

Don't miss it.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #18 : October 26, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

Yeah but, he got the team over the hump............................................................................waaay over.

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #19 : October 26, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »

Dont forget about Jake Plummer. But once you have that superbowl ring your a made man. For all the big numbers Phillip Rivers put up, you never hear people say New york made a mistake trading him for Eli Manning. Why? Eli has that ring. Guy threw 20 picks last year. But he got that ring.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #20 : October 26, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »

Did he? Forgot that he ever won a Super Bowl. Some think we should just cross out Gruden's name and put in Dungy's. These people conveniently forget 52-12 of course.
Let's keep it logical and real. Did Gruden do some things he shouldn't have done? Obviously. But was in he in a bad spot in regards to regression/aging of several stars simultaneously? Undeniably.
Gramatica's misses in 2003 killed the team. He never recovered. Wanna blame the coach? A reach.
Joey J got hurt too often. Gruden loved him. Had he stayed healthy, we'd be having a different conversation.
McCardell seized the moment with the Key turmoil and Joey J injury to try and hold up the Bucs financially.
It's Gruden's edge that got them over the hump, but to expect him to be all cuddly once they won is illogical. It's also old news around here.

In Verner We Trust

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #21 : October 26, 2011, 03:41:59 PM »

Gruden did get us over the hump. However after that happened he did more to hurt the team than help. First lets talk about the good he did after that.. He won two division championships. Thats it though. He never drafted well. There was talk about him being a bad players coach. He never rebuilt the team or got a consistent starter at QB. His offense was mediocre at best. Never won a playoff game. Look I really did like Gruden and I was one that defended him. However when he was fired, I thought about it and realized it was the right move. Ill be the same with Raheem too. I support the hell out of him but if he cant get the job done then he will need to go too.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #22 : October 26, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »

it was interesting that Gruden felt the need to bring up Johnson’s comments. If Gruden’s skin were really thick, wouldn’t he just let it go?

Because he asked about it, dingleberry.

The writers at PFT suck hard.

Seriously, what do they expect him to say? SORRY GUYS CAN'T RESPOND, SKIN'S TOO THICK LOL

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #23 : October 27, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »

Don't forget this.

Given that was the best day in the life of any Buc fan as far as their life of following sports, I basically consider anyone who doesn't have respect for Gruden not to have ever been a Buc fan.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
« #24 : October 27, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »

It's a "What have you done lately?" league, and after January 26, 2003, the answer is ,"Not much". Matter of fact, six years of "Not much" The "offensive genius" managed just one season where the offense ranked #10. Kiffin and the Defense carried the team when they managed to be respectable. Gruden and Allen had no eye for talent and no ability to teach. Gruden wrote the Raiders' playbook and gave it to our Defense. The fix was in. His one accomplishment is being largely responsible for both teams being in the SB. That's it, and both teams disintegrated since then. Gruden should never have been anything more than an OC. Xs and Os are his thing. Building a team and then leading them is not. He didn't treat his players with respect even when the media was filming. Keyshawn was a jackass, but so was Gruden. Nobody was sad to see him fired.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #25 : October 27, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »

Nobody was sad to see him fired.

If you believe that, you are either in denial or clueless.   Almost everyone who had season tickets around me was pissed off about that firing.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #26 : October 27, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »

Nobody was sad to see him fired.

If you believe that, you are either in denial or clueless.   Almost everyone who had season tickets around me was pissed off about that firing.

I met very few people who were upset to see him go. I think the majority of people were mad we let him go and didn't bring in an experienced coach like Shanahan, etc but instead we brought in a rookie head coach and stripped the team.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #27 : October 27, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

I met very few people who were upset to see him go. I think the majority of people were mad we let him go and didn't bring in an experienced coach like Shanahan, etc but instead we brought in a rookie head coach and stripped the team.

very good point.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #28 : October 27, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »

By the end of 2007, Gruden's time was really limited, even though he had made the playoffs two of three years. They weren't drafting well enough. For me the point in which Gruden had to go was the final quarter of 2008. He appeared to be redeeming himself at 9-3 and you couldn't fire him off 12-4. But Kiffin hurt him, injuries hurt him and Gru turned too conservative, lost his mojo a bit. So a change was good. Just not sure THIS was the right answer. As I remember thinking and saying, it might take us three or four coaches to get the right upgrade on Gruden.

In Verner We Trust

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #29 : October 27, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »

Three or four coaches to upgrade from a coach who drafts lousy and allegedly players didn't like? I think we already found him. Now if he can be consistent which gruden also had a problem with.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Keyshawn Johnson says Jon Gruden messed with his psyche « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools