Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 42

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #540 : March 25, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

Comrade .....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #541 : March 25, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »

Argument made: Apparently he is completely clueless to how much chaitable work churches do in  thier neighborhoods with the money they recieve.

Empirical evidence shows: In fact, although most congregations engage in some sort of social service, only a tiny minority actively and intensively engage in such activity. Only 6 percent of congregations have a staff person devoting at least quarter time to social service projects. The median dollar amount spent by congregations directly in support of social service programs is about $1,200, which is about 2 percent of the median congregation’s total budget. In the median congregation, only 10 individuals do volunteer work connected with congregational social services. In 80 percent of the congregations engaged in these activities, 30 or fewer volunteers were mobilized for social service work in the past year. Time-use studies of clergy find that they spend minimal numbers of hours on community activities of any sort.

So do these idiots admit that they are completely wrong and utterly clueless in the face of empirical evidence that the vast majority of churches DO NOT provide social services in any substantive measure, and that on average, only 2% of religious donations actually go towards providing social services?

Not a chance. They pat each other on the butt and declare victory! LOL, you two are a running joke that just keeps getting more and more stale as the days go by..,

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #542 : March 25, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

" I know when I've already won the argument ."

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #543 : March 25, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »

A 10 year old article filled with empirical data that can't possibly be proved as accurate . The reliable source material Chaves lists for the data used in this article : His own book , LOL...

Comrade digs up this decade old article why ?? Because he has already lost the debate that people are willing to donate billions of thier own dollars to causes they deem worthy , without any need for coercion whatsoever. Now he has to try and discredit what those charitable donations are used for , lol. All because he is appalled and outraged by the suggestion of any relinquishing of government's power.

What a pathetic little useful idiot .  You've gone into spin cycle yet again , and I will go no further down the rabbit hole with you. You've already lost , and everyone here knows it. Buh-bye now.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #544 : March 25, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

So, just to be clear, Dolo. Is this the plan you like for feeding those in need?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #545 : March 25, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »

" I know when I've already won the argument ."

funny gif

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #546 : March 25, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »

Our church raises about 50K A WEEK. We haven't built squat in the last 10 years except for houses for Habitat for Humanity and Katrina victims.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #547 : March 25, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »

Our church raises about 50K A WEEK. We haven't built squat in the last 10 years except for houses for Habitat for Humanity and Katrina victims.

That can't be true ...churches don't do anything charitable.... you must be lying.
« : March 25, 2013, 06:24:49 PM Fire Mark Dummynik »

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #548 : March 25, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

That can't be true ...churches don't do anything charitable.... you must be lying.

Lol

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #549 : March 25, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »

So, just to be clear, Dolo. Is this the plan you like for feeding those in need?

It is my Non-plan Plan.

Eliminating food stamps is actually on the bottom of my lists of things to do when it comes to attempting to cripple the Leviathan we call the federal government. It's true that it really doesn't cost that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm just making philosophical points . Most people seem brain-washed into thinking that those who fall on hard times are doomed to die in the street without massive federal social programs  , and I'm calling bullsh!t. I believe  that in the age of the internet and social media , it's very easy to get the word out about those in need and it's easier than ever to fund raise . I believe good people would step up when shown a problem and donate .They already do !

I do not believe we would let our neighbors starve to death. I simply don't .  If you disagree , then I don't envy your pessimistic view of humanity.
« : March 25, 2013, 06:51:20 PM Fire Mark Dummynik »

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #550 : March 25, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »

A 10 year old article filled with empirical data that can't possibly be proved as accurate . The reliable source material Chaves lists for the data used in this article : His own book , LOL...

http://www.divinity.duke.edu/academics/faculty/mark-chaves

This guy is a Professor of Sociology, Religion, and Divinity at Duke University. You are a scrub who made an anonymous profile on a football website. How about you actually provide some evidence to refute his data rather than attacking the source. You won't because you can't. You have none, which is why you continue to twist in the wind. Oh the buffoonery...

Comrade digs this decade old article why ?? Because he has already lost the debate that people are willing to donate billions of thier own dollars to causes they deem worthy , without any need for coercion whatsoever.

Interesting that you would claim that I lost that debate, because to the best of my knowledge, we weren't even having that debate. Want to know who the first person in this thread was to bring up the point that Americans donate more to charity than any other nation? Me, you pathetic twit. My point, however, was that it wasn't even putting a dent in the issue, which is why the food assistance program is necessary. An argument that you cannot disprove, which is why you decided to move the goalpost and argue against a straw man.

What a pathetic little useful idiot .  You've gone into spin cycle yet again , and I will go no further down the rabbit hole with you. You've already lost , and everyone here knows it. Buh-bye now.

Surrender noted.
« : March 25, 2013, 08:03:31 PM CBWx2 »

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #551 : March 25, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #552 : March 25, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »

I keep waiting for Olaf to show up and blame me for this thread -lol

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #553 : March 25, 2013, 08:00:10 PM »

I keep waiting for Olaf to show up and blame me for this thread -lol

Stalking me?

for the record, I have clearly put you and cbw in the same category when it comes to ruining threads with your nonsense, but why let facts get in the way

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #554 : March 25, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »

http://www.divinity.duke.edu/academics/faculty/mark-chaves

This guy is a Professor of Sociology, Religion, and Divinity at Duke University. You are a scrub who made an anonymous profile on a football website. How about you actually provide some evidence to refute his data rather than attacking the source. You won't because you can't. You have none, which is why you continue to twist in the wind. Oh the buffoonery...

Comrade digs this decade old article why ?? Because he has already lost the debate that people are willing to donate billions of thier own dollars to causes they deem worthy , without any need for coercion whatsoever.

Interesting that you would claim that I lost that debate, because to the best of my knowledge, we weren't even having that debate. Want to know who the first person in this thread was to bring up the point that Americans donate more to charity than any other nation? Me, you pathetic twit. My point, however, was that it wasn't even putting a dent in the issue, which is why the food assistance program is necessary. An argument that you cannot disprove, which is why you decided to move the goalpost and argue against a straw man.

Surrender noted.

Biography
Mark Chaves specializes in the sociology of religion and teaches at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. His research focuses on the social organization of religion in the United States. He has written Ordaining Women: Culture and Conflict in Religious Organizations (Harvard 1997), Congregations in America (Harvard, 2004), and American Religion: Contemporary Trends (Princeton, 2011).

Chaves holds a joint appointment in the Divinity School, the Sociology Department, and the Religion Department. He teaches a course designed specifically for Divinity School students on the social organization of American religion.

Me:
Let's read between the lines shall we?

And what's more, if you have read any of his work you will realize that he specializes in bashing organized Christianity. In particular, Conservative organized Christianity.
  Page: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 42
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools