Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#75 : November 03, 2011, 11:03:43 AM

How much does a Tomahawk missle cost us taxpayers?

about 5000 months of food stamps per missile.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#76 : November 03, 2011, 11:13:06 AM

I know this is like asking a fat kid how many pizzas he should be allowed to eat, but exactly how much of the budget should be set aside for Social Programs?

I'd say 2/3rds of the $1.5 trillion in total expenditures ;)

You're pretty close.

If we only spent $1 trillion in social programs and $500Bill on security/defense, we'd be in awesome shape. We'd pay off the national debt in 15 yrs.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#77 : November 03, 2011, 11:20:49 AM

Welfare benefits are not the problem. Welfare, SNAP, Unemployment, medicare/caid, etc. are listed as "Mandatory Expenditures" on the budget. The following are purely administrative costs;

$79.9 billion - Department of Health and Human Services
 $77.4 billion - Department of Education
 $49.8 billion - Department of Housing and Urban Development
 $29.6 billion - Department of Energy
 $23.8 billion - Department of Agriculture
 $12.1 billion - Department of the Interior
 $12.8 billion- Department of Labor
 $8.8 billion - Department of Commerce

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#78 : November 03, 2011, 12:19:20 PM

J Double:  Food stamps do not cover a month's worth of food.  In order to have a month's worth, a family has to buy filling stuff like potatoes and pasta.  There is no way around it.  Fresh veggies and fruit are a luxury.   

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#79 : November 03, 2011, 09:53:41 PM

Get's into a Cadillac DTS. I would estimate it to be a 2008 or 2009.

I stood behind this guy in the grocery store and noticed how he was paying. I checked out quickly and decided to see what kind of vehicle he got in. Not sure why I decided to do this but it really pissed me off.

Doesn't matter what year it is, it's a better vehicle than I own and I'm buying him groceries? This is why people want to stop the handouts. I have no problem giving some of my hard earned check to help those in need. It gets to a point where I feel taken advantage of enough that I no longer am okay with it. So many people scamming the system out there.

Workmens Compensation is not different. Whenever there is an entitlement, people are going to take advantage.

I guess people don't like the alternative to receiving handouts......like starving to death?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#80 : November 04, 2011, 10:24:51 AM

My point is you don't know.

Mind your own business.

Stop being judgmental.

Judgmental? Because I'd like to know how someone who drives a very nice car needs gov't benefits to get food? No, sorry, I don't think so.

Mind my own business? Because I'm being a snoop if I'd like to figure out if he really needs the money or is just a scam artist. Again, sorry, I don't think so.

I'm of the opinion that gov't programs that give people money for housing, food, health insurance do not come with no strings attached.

If your child asks for $20 do you not ask them for what? Do you not ask them what happened to the last $20 you gave them? Guess not, to nosy. I know, its different because no one EVER misuses government handouts. No one ever gets welfare and works under the table. No one ever claims less than they actually make.

So here are food stamps you can use for your food. You can use your own money for your caddy.

he's right, you have no true understanding of the situation only a glimpse of something and have formulated a whole scenario based on it.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#81 : November 05, 2011, 12:03:13 PM

Uh, try most of it. Outside of defense, infrastructure, and social programs, what do you think a government ought to be spending money on? Almost every other First World country spends more in relation to GDP on social programs than we do. That is a fact. I'd like to see us doing as much or more than everybody else. If you don't, that's certainly your prerogative. The end.

Maybe every other First World country should give as much as the US toward charity then they wouldn't have to force it from their citizens. That is a fact I like seeing.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-25-charitable_N.htm

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#82 : November 05, 2011, 01:03:53 PM

Its worse when you see people living in assisted living housing/projects and they have brand new cars with 1500 dollars rims on them.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#83 : November 05, 2011, 01:34:25 PM

Its worse when you see people living in assisted living housing/projects and they have brand new cars with 1500 dollars rims on them.

If you've read the thread, you'll see they're "borrowed".

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#84 : November 05, 2011, 05:35:05 PM

If it's a project, they're "borrowed" with force

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#85 : November 05, 2011, 07:07:36 PM

Uh, try most of it. Outside of defense, infrastructure, and social programs, what do you think a government ought to be spending money on? Almost every other First World country spends more in relation to GDP on social programs than we do. That is a fact. I'd like to see us doing as much or more than everybody else. If you don't, that's certainly your prerogative. The end.

Maybe every other First World country should give as much as the US toward charity then they wouldn't have to force it from their citizens. That is a fact I like seeing.

I wonder how many of them are complaining about having the government "force it" from them?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/07/01/us-happiness-idUSN0145488820080701

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#86 : November 05, 2011, 10:39:48 PM

Denmark has legalized prostitution and drugs.   Of course they are happy.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#87 : November 06, 2011, 12:57:49 AM

No no no... they belong to lawyers.  Or people volunteering.

::)

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#88 : November 06, 2011, 10:30:20 AM

I wonder how many of them are complaining about having the government "force it" from them?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/07/01/us-happiness-idUSN0145488820080701

Very, very few I'm sure. Collectively it's against the Jante-law.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#89 : November 08, 2011, 04:01:58 PM

My point is you don't know.

Mind your own business.

Stop being judgmental.

Judgmental? Because I'd like to know how someone who drives a very nice car needs gov't benefits to get food? No, sorry, I don't think so.

Mind my own business? Because I'm being a snoop if I'd like to figure out if he really needs the money or is just a scam artist. Again, sorry, I don't think so.

I'm of the opinion that gov't programs that give people money for housing, food, health insurance do not come with no strings attached.

If your child asks for $20 do you not ask them for what? Do you not ask them what happened to the last $20 you gave them? Guess not, to nosy. I know, its different because no one EVER misuses government handouts. No one ever gets welfare and works under the table. No one ever claims less than they actually make.

So here are food stamps you can use for your food. You can use your own money for your caddy.

he's right, you have no true understanding of the situation only a glimpse of something and have formulated a whole scenario based on it.

Did you read the thread? I have no idea what the story is with this guy. The point is that THIS does happen and probably more than many would like to know. I can open my local paper and find people getting busted for welfare fraud at least twice a week. To think that 99% of people use the system correctly is laughable. If someone is accepts food stamps, paid for by tax money from you and me, it comes with certain things attached. I have an interest in how you use it.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 42
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools