Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#90 : November 08, 2011, 08:12:17 PM

My point is you don't know.

Mind your own business.

Stop being judgmental.

Judgmental? Because I'd like to know how someone who drives a very nice car needs gov't benefits to get food? No, sorry, I don't think so.

Mind my own business? Because I'm being a snoop if I'd like to figure out if he really needs the money or is just a scam artist. Again, sorry, I don't think so.

I'm of the opinion that gov't programs that give people money for housing, food, health insurance do not come with no strings attached.

If your child asks for $20 do you not ask them for what? Do you not ask them what happened to the last $20 you gave them? Guess not, to nosy. I know, its different because no one EVER misuses government handouts. No one ever gets welfare and works under the table. No one ever claims less than they actually make.

So here are food stamps you can use for your food. You can use your own money for your caddy.

he's right, you have no true understanding of the situation only a glimpse of something and have formulated a whole scenario based on it.

Did you read the thread? I have no idea what the story is with this guy. The point is that THIS does happen and probably more than many would like to know. I can open my local paper and find people getting busted for welfare fraud at least twice a week. To think that 99% of people use the system correctly is laughable. If someone is accepts food stamps, paid for by tax money from you and me, it comes with certain things attached. I have an interest in how you use it.

This is a novel idea. How do you suppose we enforce it?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#91 : November 09, 2011, 10:15:55 AM

Again if fraud is happening 5%-10% of the time that is still small taters compared to the 40+% administration costs of food stamps. It takes 400 people to defraud the system to equal 1 district manager $80,000/year salary, and their are hundreds of $80-$90-$100k bureaucrats like that doing little to nothing but shuffling papers.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#92 : November 09, 2011, 10:19:56 AM

I guess people don't like the alternative to receiving handouts......like starving to death?
or working.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#93 : November 14, 2011, 12:40:59 PM

Again if fraud is happening 5%-10% of the time that is still small taters compared to the 40+% administration costs of food stamps. It takes 400 people to defraud the system to equal 1 district manager $80,000/year salary, and their are hundreds of $80-$90-$100k bureaucrats like that doing little to nothing but shuffling papers.

There is a lot wrong with all government programs. Your post highlights other problems. The unfortunate part is it all happens at the expense of the tax payer.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

dark uncle

Hall of Famer

#94 : November 14, 2011, 04:21:10 PM

Geez, why is nobody stating what to me seems the most obvious possibility?  Many people will "sell" some of their food stamps for less than face value so they can use the cash for other things. Could be drugs, alcohol, lotto tickets or even rent. Doesn't matter why, it is capitalism. Would YOU pay $.50 on the dollar to buy food stamps for groceries you have to buy anyway?  Many would without batting an eyelash.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#95 : November 15, 2011, 09:13:25 AM

My point is you don't know.

Mind your own business.

Stop being judgmental.

Judgmental? Because I'd like to know how someone who drives a very nice car needs gov't benefits to get food? No, sorry, I don't think so.

Mind my own business? Because I'm being a snoop if I'd like to figure out if he really needs the money or is just a scam artist. Again, sorry, I don't think so.

I'm of the opinion that gov't programs that give people money for housing, food, health insurance do not come with no strings attached.

If your child asks for $20 do you not ask them for what? Do you not ask them what happened to the last $20 you gave them? Guess not, to nosy. I know, its different because no one EVER misuses government handouts. No one ever gets welfare and works under the table. No one ever claims less than they actually make.

So here are food stamps you can use for your food. You can use your own money for your caddy.

he's right, you have no true understanding of the situation only a glimpse of something and have formulated a whole scenario based on it.

Did you read the thread? I have no idea what the story is with this guy. The point is that THIS does happen and probably more than many would like to know. I can open my local paper and find people getting busted for welfare fraud at least twice a week. To think that 99% of people use the system correctly is laughable. If someone is accepts food stamps, paid for by tax money from you and me, it comes with certain things attached. I have an interest in how you use it.

This is a novel idea. How do you suppose we enforce it?

You cannot stop people who feel it is their god given right to something. They will do whatever it takes to keep that money coming in as if they really believe it is a right they can rationalize doing almost anything.

Anyone know a husband or wife that has been divorced has found a man or woman they love enough to remarry but don't so they can get a better student aid package for their children or keep the others child support coming in? See, varying levels of fraud that people are 100% guilt free in doing.

The only way to stop it is to end it. That would cut off all the abusers, but also all the honest people and more importantly children who just need some temp. help.

- Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#96 : November 15, 2011, 09:14:37 AM

Geez, why is nobody stating what to me seems the most obvious possibility?  Many people will "sell" some of their food stamps for less than face value so they can use the cash for other things. Could be drugs, alcohol, lotto tickets or even rent. Doesn't matter why, it is capitalism. Would YOU pay $.50 on the dollar to buy food stamps for groceries you have to buy anyway?  Many would without batting an eyelash.

This changes nothing!

The government gives you a dollar and you sell it for .50 cents. Apparently you didn't need that dollar so badly if you're willing to sell for half value. The buyers are fraudulent as well!

- Everyone

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#97 : November 15, 2011, 11:28:52 AM

You can't sell some of your food stamps. There are no actual stamps. There is a certain amt put on a debit card every month. I doubt someone will hand over their EBT card and pin # for $0.50 on the dollar and just hope they get it back.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#98 : November 15, 2011, 12:47:54 PM

I've been shopping for groceries for years and have yet to see a single person using foodstamps  - and if they're using some sort of special card, I wouldn't know if it were their credit card or some gov't issued card.

I try to mind my own business when I'm in grocery lines.  I don't even pay attention to the crap that's in their shopping carts.

MYOB.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#99 : November 15, 2011, 01:16:46 PM

I've been shopping for groceries for years and have yet to see a single person using foodstamps  - and if they're using some sort of special card, I wouldn't know if it were their credit card or some gov't issued card.

This is part of the problem.  There is no shame associated with using these government handouts anymore.  Too many of the folks who are on these programs for a long period of time have lost the pride of providing for yourself.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#100 : November 15, 2011, 01:18:05 PM

MYOB.

Aren't you the same jackwagon that asks posters on here what they paid for tickets, what they have in savings, etc.?

GTFO

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#101 : November 15, 2011, 01:34:48 PM

I try to mind my own business when I'm in grocery lines.

I notice because it IS my business, literally. I pay attention to what type of cards people use, how fast the transactions go thru, what type of machine processes the cards, etc.

Anyhoo, here is a Fla Food Stamp or other benefit card

Now here is the screwed up part. The State (FL) pays JP Morgan Chase $0.04 + 0.55% every time someone swipes a card, they also pay JPMC $400/terminal (if a terminal is needed) and give the terminal free to the merchant. The terminals can be bought ALL DAY LONG for <$200 (so a $200 profit to JPMC). Now if the merchant doesn't want to use JPMC, then they have to pay the state $0.04+ per transaction, which is forwarded to JPMC (i.e. they get paid no matter what) So at Walmart, Publix, etc. where they use an integrated POS system, they pay $0.04 + 0.xx% per trans on EBT cards.

JPM Chase, BofA, WF, etc. have these State deals in every State and they make Billions off the fees all of which comes out of the State's funds, which come from Fed funds which come from our tax dollars.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#102 : November 15, 2011, 01:45:40 PM

Interesting. You should run for office and fix these things....

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#103 : November 15, 2011, 02:01:07 PM

Interesting. You should run for office and fix these things....

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1286183.0.html

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#104 : November 16, 2011, 07:54:33 AM

http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2008/03_food_stamp_isaacs.aspx
the administrative cost you used seemed high - just did a quick google.  still enough to gag a maggot - but not 40+% - where did you get that value from JG??

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools