Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 42

BucNY

Hall of Famer

: November 01, 2011, 09:14:33 AM

Get's into a Cadillac DTS. I would estimate it to be a 2008 or 2009.

I stood behind this guy in the grocery store and noticed how he was paying. I checked out quickly and decided to see what kind of vehicle he got in. Not sure why I decided to do this but it really pissed me off.

Doesn't matter what year it is, it's a better vehicle than I own and I'm buying him groceries? This is why people want to stop the handouts. I have no problem giving some of my hard earned check to help those in need. It gets to a point where I feel taken advantage of enough that I no longer am okay with it. So many people scamming the system out there.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 01, 2011, 09:34:33 AM

Lol, I should assume he's borrowing it? That's as much of a jump as me assuming he's the owner. Although I think it's more reasonable to believe that a person driving a car by himself owns the car.

- Everyone

BucfanNC12

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 01, 2011, 09:43:48 AM

I stood behind this guy in the grocery store and noticed how he was paying. I checked out quickly and decided to see what kind of vehicle he got in. Not sure why I decided to do this but it really pissed me off.

Doesn't matter what year it is, it's a better vehicle than I own and I'm buying him groceries? This is why people want to stop the handouts. I have no problem giving some of my hard earned check to help those in need. It gets to a point where I feel taken advantage of enough that I no longer am okay with it. So many people scamming the system out there.

Workmens Compensation is not different. Whenever there is an entitlement, people are going to take advantage.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 01, 2011, 10:03:50 AM

My point is you don't know.

Mind your own business.

Stop being judgmental.

Judgmental? Because I'd like to know how someone who drives a very nice car needs gov't benefits to get food? No, sorry, I don't think so.

Mind my own business? Because I'm being a snoop if I'd like to figure out if he really needs the money or is just a scam artist. Again, sorry, I don't think so.

I'm of the opinion that gov't programs that give people money for housing, food, health insurance do not come with no strings attached.

If your child asks for $20 do you not ask them for what? Do you not ask them what happened to the last $20 you gave them? Guess not, to nosy. I know, its different because no one EVER misuses government handouts. No one ever gets welfare and works under the table. No one ever claims less than they actually make.

So here are food stamps you can use for your food. You can use your own money for your caddy.

- Everyone

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 01, 2011, 10:38:22 AM

Yeah, that was me, you should have said hi! I was on my way to Red Lobster after I dropped off my free groceries. By the way, did you notice the Lamborghini doors on my Caddy? They cost a pretty penny.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 01, 2011, 10:49:40 AM

Lol, I should assume he's borrowing it? That's as much of a jump as me assuming he's the owner. Although I think it's more reasonable to believe that a person driving a car by himself owns the car.

How do you know he was buying the groceries for himself? I know an attorney who is the payee of a disabled women and she often drives the disabled women to the store and has on occasion got her EBT card and went to the store for her. Maybe he is doing someone in need a favor.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 01, 2011, 11:14:10 AM

I usually shop at a market basket in londonderry nh.  It is a affluent bedroom community here and when we were house shopping 5 years ago they started around 280k.  Food stamp day is the 5th of every month and ive stupidly have gone there on that day.  I am surprised the fire marshall allows that many people in the store at one time.  There is a youtube video for grand opening market basket londonderry.  Its just like it.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 01, 2011, 11:42:06 AM

How do you know he was buying the groceries for himself? I know an attorney who is the payee of a disabled women and she often drives the disabled women to the store and has on occasion got her EBT card and went to the store for her. Maybe he is doing someone in need a favor.

There are exceptions, no doubt about it. But let's not pretend for one second that these are anything but exceptions! Maybe this guy was purchasing groceries for someone else in a borrow car. Maybe he wasn't, I don't know. This kind of thing happens and I suspect it happens more often than any of us would like to admit.

Gov't handouts use to be embarassing for the man of the house. He coudn't provide for his family and needed a handout. It is no longer embarassing for many but a RIGHT that the gov't OWES them. That is the root of this thread.

- Everyone

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 01, 2011, 11:53:59 AM

Talk to almost anyone that works in your local grocery store, and they'll tell you they see happenings like this all too regularly.

The system is broken.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 01, 2011, 12:49:19 PM

A  more likely story is he bought the car when he was earning nice money. And like lots of people also bought a big house, nice furniture and a big screen TV's etc without any thought to the future. He has since lost his job and not having much money in the bank he has lost his house and nice furniture and all he has left is his nice car, which might be paid for - or about to be repossessed.

I have seen 'ladies' in publix with their food stamps having just come out the Salon with really nice nails, top of the line hairdo, designer jeans and a Gucci handbag yakking on their cell phone, but in the current climate the first scenario is more likely the case.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 01, 2011, 01:05:56 PM

There are exceptions, no doubt about it. But let's not pretend for one second that these are anything but exceptions! Maybe this guy was purchasing groceries for someone else in a borrow car. Maybe he wasn't, I don't know.

Exactly. You don't know.

This kind of thing happens and I suspect it happens more often than any of us would like to admit.

It happens. We all know that. You're not telling us anything new with this post except that you like to jump to conclusions.

Gov't handouts use to be embarassing for the man of the house. He coudn't provide for his family and needed a handout. It is no longer embarassing for many but a RIGHT that the gov't OWES them. That is the root of this thread.

Assumptions abound.

STERN11354

Starter

#11 : November 01, 2011, 01:34:57 PM

That reminds me of ODB (Old Dirty Ba$tard) picking up food stamps in his limo with MTV while they were shooting an episode of MTV Cribs.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 01, 2011, 03:13:10 PM

When you apply for food stamps, you are asked to disclose all your assets including cars etc. The problem is they don't follow up. A poor person can get SNAP benefits, then become a millionaire Hip-hop star and the state never does follow up checks to see if his income rose to a point where he wouldn't need assistance.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 01, 2011, 03:51:00 PM

Talk to almost anyone that works in your local grocery store, and they'll tell you they see happenings like this all too regularly.

The system is broken.

Not really.

You are checked up on every six months, and your status to receive EBT is re-evaluated and the distribution of any funds may vary if there any changes to your economic situation.  WIC requirements are far more stringent as you must check up more frequently.  Furthermore, unlike EBT food stamps, WIC requires only certain foods to be purchased. For example, a whole block of cheese, whole milk, 1% milk, whole grain bread (sugar free), beans 16 oz, cereals not exceeding 36 oz, etc.  W(oman) I(nfants) C(hildren) requires that you have an ID card present with the WIC checks at the time of purchases, and each WIC check is signed, and verified by the cashier.  It is stamped on the back of the check and the front for authenticity.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 01, 2011, 03:55:02 PM

The system is broken.

Not really.

lolz

Page: 1 2 3 ... 42
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools