Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 42

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #330 : November 28, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »

raising the minimum wage is just an indirect tax and further wealth reditribution and like all taxes and wealth redistribution programs it has all kinds of negative consequences, including the inflation that CBW wants everyone to ignore.  If a company like McDonald needs to raise wages it should be because the MARKET DEMAND forces them to, because the market is so good that people who WANT to elevate themselves DO, which means that McDonald needs to raise their wages to keep people.  If you increase the minimum wage you take money from one group and give it to another and the unintended consequence is that it slows motivation.  If I am mkaing $7.25 per hour and I suddenly get $11.75 per hour what does that do to my motivation to get out of that minimum wage job?

Robert Frost once said on Meet the Press (paraphrasing) that the paradox of America was that even though we were the richest country in the world we did not have enough money to buy our children the hardships they needed to succeed.  Some people dont want anyone to have any hardships, but still expect that those same people will be motivated to elevate.  That makes no sense.
« : November 28, 2012, 04:04:12 PM VinBucFan »

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #331 : November 28, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »

raising the minimum wage is just an indirect tax and further wealth reditribution and like all taxes and wealth redistribution programs it has all kinds of negative consequences, including the inflation that CBW wants everyone to ignore.  If a company like McDonald needs to raise wages it should be because the MARKET DEMAND forces them to, because the market is so good that people who WANT to elevate themselves DO, which means that McDonald needs to raise their wages to keep people.  If you increase the minimum wage you take money from one group and give it to another and the unintended consequence is that it slows motivation.  If I am mkaing $7.25 per hour and I suddenly get $11.75 per hour what does that do to my motivation to get out of that minimum wage job?
who said everyone has the same motivation? Oh that's right, you snubbed nosed judgmental conservatives. Ever think maybe thats why you're a shrinking minority in the country? Your sales pitch is stale

philosophy is questions that may never be answered
religion is answers that may never be questioned

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #332 : November 28, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »

who said everyone has the same motivation? Oh that's right, you snubbed nosed judgmental conservatives. Ever think maybe thats why you're a shrinking minority in the country? Your sales pitch is stale

I am not even a conservative as you use the word.  You think conservatives are devout believers in the Bible for goodness sakes. 

By the way, you might want to read a little history.  Despite all your ranting and raving, conservative points of view have almost always been in the MINORITY.  You don't even have to study history though, just think about it.  EVERYONE agrees, for example, that we should help our fellow man.  Conservatives ask the question "yeah, but how and at what cost?"  That question alone puts conservatives in the minority.   

Conservatives are in the electoral minority right now (as they have been for along time) in part because the demographics of the country has changed. I am not sure how anyone that is for restrained immigration and reduced entitlement spending could be in the majority. But, that does mean the majority is right.  In fact, the majority is often WRONG. That is part of why our country is formed as it is.  Don't confuse "popular" with "right"

Lastly, because you seem to be the king of strawman arguments, maybe you can quote where I posted that everyone has the same motivation? I guess i should take that as a "yeah, but" response. In other words, you concede my point, but then switch the argument to "but . .  everyone doesnt have the same motivation."  Okay, but at least you agree, it seems, that money is a MOTIVATOR and if you accept that simple fact then giving someone a raise for doing nothing different doesnt exactly motivate the person to move to greener pastures.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #333 : November 28, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »

wreck ship -- you sure are angry for a guy who is "right" because you're in the majority. I have read you post bigotry and all kinds of vile stuff on here.  Why so angry if the recent election just proved you "right"? What do you care what a bunch of "Repubtards" and racists think anyway?  Interesting question, isn't it?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #334 : November 28, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »

Robert Frost once said on Meet the Press (paraphrasing) that the paradox of America was that even though we were the richest country in the world we did not have enough money to buy our children the hardships they needed to succeed.  Some people dont want anyone to have any hardships, but still expect that those same people will be motivated to elevate.  That makes no sense.

Exactly. People who work at McDonald's do so willingly . McDonald's could not get away with lowering thier employee's wages down to 50 cents an hour , because everyone would quit.

Besides ,there's a reason minimum wage jobs don't pay much . Anyone can do it . It requires no skill , and you can be trained for it one day.  A business's purpose is not to provide living wage welfare for all , it's to make money.  If you offer no skill set , you should be paid like it , until such time you can offer something of greater value to that company than a chimpanzee could provide. Don't like it ? Work harder or educate yourself to do something better.

There are so many unintended consequences to this feel-good nanny state bullsh!t , and it rarely does anything besides muck things up worse.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #335 : November 28, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »

wreck ship -- you sure are angry for a guy who is "right" because you're in the majority. I have read you post bigotry and all kinds of vile stuff on here.  Why so angry if the recent election just proved you "right"? What do you care what a bunch of "Repubtards" and racists think anyway?  Interesting question, isn't it?
I'm not angry, I'm having fun poking at you pathetic sore losers on the right. Obviously it's working.

wreck ship

Hall of Famer

« #336 : November 28, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »

There are so many unintended consequences to this feel-good nanny state bullsh!t ,
duh, it's not an exact science and it's a blip on the radar of the monumental issues that we face as a country. only you tea baggers think it's worthy of emotional currency.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #337 : November 28, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »

I'm not angry, I'm having fun poking at you pathetic sore losers on the right. Obviously it's working.

ironic

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

« #338 : November 28, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »

When dealing with Wrecked Ship always keep this quote in mind.

"You're more advanced than a **CENSORED**roach, have you ever tried explaining yourself to one of them?" ~ Alexander Leek

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #339 : November 28, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »

If a company like McDonald needs to raise wages it should be because the MARKET DEMAND forces them to, because the market is so good that people who WANT to elevate themselves DO, which means that McDonald needs to raise their wages to keep people. 

In some places this is already happening. In places with healthy economies, like the city that I live in, McDonald's doesn't pay minimum wage. It pays around $9.50 an hour. Not what it should be based on inflation, but much higher than the current minimum wage. Places like that generally aren't the problem. It's places with slow economic activity, places where a McDonald's or Wal-Mart employ a huge bulk of the town are the places where wage suppression sees it's most negative affects.

And for the record, a Big Mac costs the same amount in Ann Arbor, where I live, as it does in Detroit, where the employees make about $1.50 - $2.00 less an hour.

If you increase the minimum wage you take money from one group and give it to another and the unintended consequence is that it slows motivation.  If I am mkaing $7.25 per hour and I suddenly get $11.75 per hour what does that do to my motivation to get out of that minimum wage job?

The purpose isn't to motivate anyone to do anything. If $7.25 an hour was adequate motivation not to work at McDonald's, then why in the hell do thousands of people work there? I haven't worked at a fast food place since I was in high school, and even if McDonald's payed the same amount that my current job does, I still wouldn't opt to work there over where I am now. No matter what the minimum wage is, not one is going to want to stay there unless they lack the skill or competency to do anything else. There is a segment of the populace that aren't going to get out of minimum wage level jobs, regardless of all of those "boot strap" stories you cons are so fond of. So these people should at least be making enough in a 40 hour work week to not have to still depend on the government for assistance.

You think raising the minimum wage to $10.55 an hour is eliminating hardship? What freaking world do you live in?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #340 : November 28, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »

That evil minimum wage at McDonalds is really holding people down:

"Ana Morelos first joined the McDonald’s team for a little extra pocket money. That was 11 years ago. Even she couldn’t have predicted this job with the flexible hours and convenient location would become her career. With McDonald’s management training—and her own hard work—Ana became a Restaurant Manager and has been asked to open a new next-generation restaurant. “It’s a big job and I’m ready,” she said. “I’m also proud that my family enjoys a wonderful lifestyle—all because of a job I love.”

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #341 : November 28, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »

That evil minimum wage at McDonalds is really holding people down:

"Ana Morelos first joined the McDonald’s team for a little extra pocket money. That was 11 years ago. Even she couldn’t have predicted this job with the flexible hours and convenient location would become her career. With McDonald’s management training—and her own hard work—Ana became a Restaurant Manager and has been asked to open a new next-generation restaurant. “It’s a big job and I’m ready,” she said. “I’m also proud that my family enjoys a wonderful lifestyle—all because of a job I love.”

LOL, another "boot strap" story that completely ignores the point. And you accuse me of shifting focus?  ???

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #342 : November 28, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

So minimum wage is going to be raised so people can buy more Big Macs?   sounds good

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #343 : November 28, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »

And you accuse me of shifting focus?  ???

I dont accuse you of anything. I just describe your practice.  Remember this:

(this should be interesting)

here, just quote this and put and x after your answer"

YES

NO

You couldnt do it right?  Could not bring yourself to give a "yes" or a "no" response.That's because you are CBW aka the "black hole"  Rather than just acknowledge JG's point, you tried (as you do) to shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifttt the focus.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #344 : November 28, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

You think raising the minimum wage to $10.55 an hour is eliminating hardship? What freaking world do you live in?

where did I say that? please tell me you can read . . .

Page: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 42
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Customer paid for groceries with food stamps, walked into parking lot and... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools