Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: King Calls Gruden "inherently dishonest" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« : November 02, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/02/shaun-king-calls-jon-gruden-inherently-dishonest/

Former NFL quarterback Shaun King, the starter in Tampa for part of 1999 and all of 2000, spent two years with the Bucs as a backup under former coach Jon Gruden.  And King, whose media duties now include a radio show on WQYK-AM in Tampa, recently teed off on Gruden.

Sparked by Keyshawn Johnson’s recent criticism of Gruden, even though both men currently work for ESPN, King explained in detail his perception regarding Gruden’s coaching flaws.

The ultimate issue, King said, is Gruden’s inability to tell the truth to the grown men who populate an NFL locker room.  Specifically, King said Gruden is “inherently dishonest.”

“From a relationship level I think Jon failed,” King said, echoing things that folks in Tampa publicly have said about Gruden for years.  Specifically, Gruden had a reputation within the walls of the building of saying one thing and doing another.

King also hinted that Gruden’s style that simply won’t work at the NFL level for anyone other than Bill Belichick.  Comparing Gruden to Nick Saban, King suggested that Gruden would be better off coaching at the college level, where Gruden could employ a more dictatorial style.  (That said, the inability of a young quarterback to play like the Hall of Famer that Gruden would have been if he had only been several inches taller likely would make Gruden’s head explode.)

The folks at JoeBucsFan.com have a link to the audio of the conversation regarding Gruden.  Whether or not anyone agrees with King, he brings an interesting — and informed — perspective.

Meanwhile, and in all fairness to Gruden, we’ll wait for one or more of his former players to publicly declare that Gruden is inherently honest.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 02, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »

King could be right, but when a disgruntled former employee says bad things about the boss you can't help but to question how objective he is being.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 02, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »

King could be right, but when a disgruntled former employee says bad things about the boss you can't help but to question how objective he is being.

King hasn't been the only one to say it. Remember when Gruden told Aaron Rodgers he would be the pick if he was there?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 02, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »

Who knows why he did that. I would doubt that Gruden just wanted to bust his balls. I'm not a Gruden lover either.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #4 : November 02, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »

When Meshawn, Chubby King, and No Hands Michael Clayton are the three guys who don't like a coach, that coach is ok in my book.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 02, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »

This isn't news to anyone that regularly follows this team.  It's the primary reason why he couldn't hold onto the locker room after a couple of years.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #6 : November 02, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »

Bitterness from Tampa's version of Tarvaris Jackson.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #7 : November 02, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »

In the NFL,Gruden is really best suited as an OC. His people skills seem to be overwhelmed by hype. Just my perception. However, to be honest, I would NOT use the term "inherently dishonest" to describe Gruden. I totally disagree with that! Is he full of ..it? Yes, but that's not "Inherently dishonest"!

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 02, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »

This from the man who got a Super Bowl ring basically riding the coat tails of Gruden? King was a backup on that team who was far from seeing the field and basically owes most of the opportunities he has now to Gruden, but chooses to bash him instead. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Everyone is entitled to speak their mind and express their opinions, but also don't forget how and who helped them get the minor success they did get.

Dy-nasty D

Starter
« #9 : November 02, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »

My take is that Gruden gets hyped on players, says things out of pure excitement and enthusiasm, and then doesn't or can't follow through for them. The man is pumped. Some athletes understand his motivational style and take it for what it is. Others take him at his literal word and end up feeling betrayed.

I don't think that makes him "inherently dishonest".

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : November 02, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

Personally, unless there is a really really important issue going on, I think it is better for people in the public eye not to burn their bridges publicly .  It only reflects back badly on themselves.  Keyshawn and Shaun don't seem to have that level of intelligence.  I like Shaun and I'm so so about Keyshawn but they really need to get off the Gruden bashing bus.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
« #11 : November 02, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »

Per Wikipedia,
"King is currently hosting the mid-day sports talk radio show "The King David Show" on 1010AM in the Tampa market where he mentions how small Jimmy Clausen's face is..."

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : November 02, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »

1. Gruden didn't lose the lockerroom. That's nonsense. He lost a variety of underachieving players, none of whom ever did anything anywhere else after they left. Coincidence?
2. King was lazy with what limited talent he had. The point could be made that choosing him over Dilfer cost the Bucs the 1999 NFC title game. Gruden knew what he was and there was nothing to lose.
Situations change. When a coach says vague things like ''You're my player'' that doesn't mean forever. Should the Bucs have picked Rodgers? Obviously. We'll never know the exact dynamic regarding why they didn't pick him. But is lying when it comes to draft picks all that unique? It happens constantly.
Bottom line is that Gruden is making really good money and certain types of players (has-beens) want to blame him for their demise.

In Verner We Trust

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #13 : November 02, 2011, 01:27:59 PM »

Lets not forget about Warren Sapp. He called Gruden a liar in so many words. Saying he would coach the hurricanes then backing out after they fired the coach randy shannon.
 Just look at how Gruden evaluates QBs on that little ESPN segment he has. Has he ever had anything negative to say about a guy. I just think he is this guy who loves athletes. If he tells Jeff your our Guy and then trades for Plummer or try to get Brett you can imagine it happening on other levels.
 One thing about Rah he always says he will put up with it until he can replace that player. I think Gruden is more of a "your the greatest thing since sliced bread but you just had a bad game" type of guy. Then he immediately starts trying to replace you. Other players see that, how can u blame them if they dont buy in to what he is selling?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #14 : November 02, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »

Quote from: ProFootballTalk
Meanwhile, and in all fairness to Gruden, we’ll wait for one or more of his former players to publicly declare that Gruden is inherently honest.

Didn't McCardell and Sapp do that already??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: King Calls Gruden "inherently dishonest" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools